GSP vs Condit

[quote]lbraga wrote:
Silva vs. GSP is gonna happen sooner or later… neither man has proper challengers in their weight division. Other than that kick that was lucky as fuck, GSP dominated and man handled Condit on the ground which was supposed to be his strength.

GSP all the way baby dude’s a machine![/quote]

Silva maybe not, but did you miss the Hendricks vs Kampmann fight? I’m actually surprised that no one has mentioned that fight. Hendricks was an outstanding collegiate wrestler (2005 and 2006 Div 1 champ and 2007 runner up) who has legitimate one punch KO power in his hands (proven by the fact that he has KO’d both Fitch and Kampmann, 2 fighters known for their chins and durability, with 1 punch each). I don’t understand how you can’t consider that a legitimate threat to GSP at welterweight. You also have Maia at WW now who is always a submission threat.

GSP is a bigger threat to Silva then those two welterweights are to GSP.

Kampmann would have liked to outkickbox Hendricks.
GSP will take Hendricks down or at least the threat of it will loom more prominently in the air.
Couple that with George’s cautious approach against heavy handed wrestlers and I don’t see much of a chance for Hendricks.

Maia does not have the means to force his groundgame on George, and his standup is so-so. Easy win here.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]lbraga wrote:
Silva vs. GSP is gonna happen sooner or later… neither man has proper challengers in their weight division. Other than that kick that was lucky as fuck, GSP dominated and man handled Condit on the ground which was supposed to be his strength.

Silva maybe not, but did you miss the Hendricks vs Kampmann fight? I’m actually surprised that no one has mentioned that fight. Hendricks was an outstanding collegiate wrestler (2005 and 2006 Div 1 champ and 2007 runner up) who has legitimate one punch KO power in his hands (proven by the fact that he has KO’d both Fitch and Kampmann, 2 fighters known for their chins and durability, with 1 punch each). I don’t understand how you can’t consider that a legitimate threat to GSP at welterweight. You also have Maia at WW now who is always a submission threat.[/quote]
Hendricks is only dangerous because of his KO power, he doesn’t mix it up enough and his wrestling hasn’t looked great in mma. He hasn’t looked too impressive to me minus his crazy power. Splits to Pierce and Kos and a loss to Ricky Story, GSP takes him out easily imo…

I don’t know call me weird I think “power” has become hyperbole in MMA.

I mean is it really all that impressive that guys weighing near 180lbs fighting in 4oz gloves can drop someone with one punch to the chin? I’ve seen untrained guys do that in clubs all the time.

[quote]Aussie Davo wrote:

I mean is it really all that impressive that guys weighing near 180lbs fighting in 4oz gloves can drop someone with one punch to the chin? I’ve seen untrained guys do that in clubs all the time.[/quote]
For real?

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Silva -again very obviously- will enjoy an even more luxurious range advantage then usual, [/quote]

Nah, Silva will have a 1,5" reach advantage. He’s had more than that in 5 of his last 6 fights. Georges has stupid reach for 170.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]lbraga wrote:

Silva maybe not, but did you miss the Hendricks vs Kampmann fight? I’m actually surprised that no one has mentioned that fight. Hendricks was an outstanding collegiate wrestler (2005 and 2006 Div 1 champ and 2007 runner up) who has legitimate one punch KO power in his hands (proven by the fact that he has KO’d both Fitch and Kampmann, 2 fighters known for their chins and durability, with 1 punch each). I don’t understand how you can’t consider that a legitimate threat to GSP at welterweight. You also have Maia at WW now who is always a submission threat.[/quote]

Interested to see how this one plays out. Hendricks is Kos 2.0 to me though; great wrestling credentials and KO power, but with the same weaknesses; predictable stand up and likely shit off his back if it goes there. Also only went the distance once, so his conditioning is hard to judge for a 5 round fight. Aaand that 7 inch reach disadvantage is gonna be a bitch. Him being a lefty could make it awkward, but I honestly think GSP can fight out of the southpaw without missing a step. GSP picks him apart on the feet and absolutely pummels him on the ground if Hendricks’ TDD isn’t up to the task.

Maia won’t stand a chance IMO. He took down Story, but he’s not taking down Georges. Reeks of jab-a-thon.

I mean is it really all that impressive that guys weighing near 180lbs fighting in 4oz gloves can drop someone with one punch to the chin? I’ve seen untrained guys do that in clubs all the time.[/quote]

It is when the guys they’re dropping usually take hits from other WWs and stay on their feet…

I forget, what happened to Weidman? He could be a threat to Silva if he is still in the UFC. Even Mark Munoz might be ready for a title shot at some point.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]lbraga wrote:

I consider Hendricks a legit threat, but i didnt think the kampmann fight was worth mentioning because i would have been surprised if the fight didnt go the way it did.

Kampmann obviously cant take a good hit, as he gets rocked/Ko’d in seemingly every fight. His striking offense is technically some of the best in the division, but his defense has always been garbage and thats his downfall. People start swinging leather at him and all he does is back up with his head poked straight up in the air.

I still think GSP outwrestles hendricks for 5 (if his gas tank is good enough to hang with GSP for that long) but hes got the best chance of KO’ing GSP at WW.

[quote]DeadKong wrote:
I forget, what happened to Weidman? He could be a threat to Silva if he is still in the UFC. Even Mark Munoz might be ready for a title shot at some point.[/quote]

Fighting Boetsch in december, then title shot, I guess.

I’m assuming Munoz is pretty much out of the picture after being KOd by Weidman 1 match ago.

[quote]sardines12 wrote:

For real?[/quote]

Yes for real

Literally every second fighter we have to hear about his “power” and how it makes him dangerous. Shit randy couture summed it up himself, its a fight game with 4oz gloves. Do you really think the higher percentage of one shot KOs in MMA compared to boxing is because MMA has better punchers?

I don’t care how tough your chin is, a 4oz glove is almost bareknuckle, if you cop a big straight on the point of the chin like Fitch did, you are going down. Maybe not out cold but you’re sure as fuck going to lose your balance.

Obviously its easier to KO with smaller gloves, that doesnt detract from the power of some of these guys.

Theres a reason certain guys are considered “knock out artists” and others, like Bisping and Diaz are considered “pillow punchers.” These guys dont win fights with a single punch, they win fights with overwhelming volume, landing dozens if not hundreds of punches in a fight. Guys like Anderson Silva and Melvin Guillard constantly hold the threat of landing that fight ending punch at any time, no matter how good your chin is. Obvious differences in power.

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]audiogarden1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:

Have no doubts Anderson would destroy GSP in a fight.

[/quote]

I agree, just as Bones Jones would destroy Anderson Silva. In fact, we’re not saying much are we? A heavier fighter whose skills are even close will usually beat a smaller man. Anderson Silva would be foolish to fight Jones (and he says he wants no part of him). Just as GSP would be foolish to fight Silva.

Now let’s talk about something else.[/quote]

Lets not compare apples to oranges.

If Jones tried to play the standup game with AS, he gets rocked. [/quote]

It’s MMA…so everything goes. And Silva would get destroyed against Jones. And Jones would destroy GSP.

The heavier…ah never mind kiddies

YAWN[/quote]

Theres too many variables and stylistically the two hold advantages in different areas, its just ignorant to make such a generalized statement. Theres is no silly equation that determines who beats who. [/quote]

Anything can happen in a fight everyone knows that. However, check back through the years in MMA and you might as well look at other combat sports like boxing as well. The heavier man wins about 90% of the time. To more clearly define my point, when someone moves up a weight class to take on the large man he is usually doomed. Does anyone really think that Anderson Silva who was dominated by a wrestler OF HIS OWN WEIGHT for 4 1/2 rounds is going to beat Jon Bones Jones? If there is a person who thinks that foolishly I’d love to make a bet with them.

If GSP moves up to fight Silva he will meet the same fate that Silva will if he moves up to fight Jones.

This is not rocket science it’s history. And it’s true in all combat sports. I’m not saying that it is impossible for the lighter man to move up and win. What I am saying is that it is a long shot.

Want to talk more about this, or can we move on to an interesting topic?

[quote]rundymc wrote:
The kick did a lot less damage than Condit’s shots off his back.

Say what you will about that fight. Condit got outclassed in ground positioning, outclassed in ring generalship, and, I believe FightMetric had him outlanded on the feet. By my God he was scrappy. The guy made GSP work for that win, every second of the fight.

The Diaz fight left a bad taste in my mouth, but damn it, respect.[/quote]

Very well put I couldn’t have said it any better. I’d like to add just one thing, I hope all of the little idiots who didn’t like GSP before because he just didn’t seem tough enough to them will now change their tune. This is a very, very tough fighter who came back after knee surgery and over 500 days of inactivity in the octagon to out fight a very tough opponent.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:

[/quote]

I agree, just as Bones Jones would destroy Anderson Silva. In fact, we’re not saying much are we? A heavier fighter whose skills are even close will usually beat a smaller man. Anderson Silva would be foolish to fight Jones (and he says he wants no part of him). Just as GSP would be foolish to fight Silva.

Jones would destroy Silva? Based on your reasons it doesn’t appear so as Silva is probably not that lighter than Jones (Silva has fought at 205 before). And the gap in skills is not that small. [/quote]

Why do you think Silva is talking a GSP fight instead of a Bones Jones fight? And when asked about a fight with Jones he shook his head back and forth with a look on his face that said “no way man I’m not stupid.”

He knows and from what I’ve seen he’s not a dumb guy. And being a great fighter I respect his opinion over yours.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:

[quote]lbraga wrote:

I agree with you man Hendricks is a dangerous dude. He is capable of beating anyone in his weight class with one punch. With that said, I’d still bet on GSP because of his basic ring savvy and experience. But who knows?

Yeah, I used to bounce in a club back in the day. And you really can’t compare two guys going at it in the parking lot with two trained professionals. For example, how many guys at welterweight over the past 5 years have you seen knock out their opponent with one punch? It has happened but it’s pretty rare that alone should tell you that two well trained fairly equally matched MMA fighters are not in any way comparable to two guys in a club or parking lot mixing it up…and one of them might be drunk to begin with.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:

[/quote]

Jones would destroy Silva? Based on your reasons it doesn’t appear so as Silva is probably not that lighter than Jones (Silva has fought at 205 before). And the gap in skills is not that small. [/quote]

Why do you think Silva is talking a GSP fight instead of a Bones Jones fight? And when asked about a fight with Jones he shook his head back and forth with a look on his face that said “no way man I’m not stupid.”

He knows and from what I’ve seen he’s not a dumb guy. And being a great fighter I respect his opinion over yours.[/quote]

Really? You base what you think he thinks, on a look? And even if Silva doesn’t think he can win, or that it would be hard for him to win, that’s different than him believing, or someone else saying, he would get destroyed. That’s my point. He might not win but he won’t get destroyed. He would, in all likelihood, do better than Belfort or Machida.

Maybe he wants GSP because it would be not only the easier fight but the fight that would make more money. He would be stupid, as his look suggested to you, to go for the harder and less lucrative fight.

Jones would be the tougher fight, on paper, but to believe that Silva would get destroyed or that he is afraid is silly after all we know about him. Sonnen 2 was supposed to be a tough fight. He was even, according to many, going to beat Silva. He had the tools and skill set that presented Silva with the toughest match-up of his career (on paper). We all know how it turned out to be the exact opposite.

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]zecarlo wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]Grimlorn wrote:

[/quote]

He knows and from what I’ve seen he’s not a dumb guy. And being a great fighter I respect his opinion over yours.[/quote]

Really? You base what you think he thinks, on a look? And even if Silva doesn’t think he can win, or that it would be hard for him to win, that’s different than him believing, or someone else saying, he would get destroyed. That’s my point. He might not win but he won’t get destroyed. He would, in all likelihood, do better than Belfort or Machida.

Maybe he wants GSP because it would be not only the easier fight but the fight that would make more money. He would be stupid, as his look suggested to you, to go for the harder and less lucrative fight.

Jones would be the tougher fight, on paper, but to believe that Silva would get destroyed or that he is afraid is silly after all we know about him. Sonnen 2 was supposed to be a tough fight. He was even, according to many, going to beat Silva. He had the tools and skill set that presented Silva with the toughest match-up of his career (on paper). We all know how it turned out to be the exact opposite. [/quote]

1. Anderson Silva does not want to fight Bones Jones. You suggested that it is because of money, however a Silva/Jones fight would be just as big gate wise each has dispensed with their opponents in their own weight class. So the only other reason is that he knows he would lose…and he would. And like anyone he’d rather make a lot of money and win than make a lot of money and lose. It’s not a matter of being afraid it’s a matter of being smart. Now give me that long list of fighters (in any combat sport) who moved up a weight class and beat the champion. Uh huh…

2. Comparing Sonnen to Jones is silly. Jones ground game is light years ahead of Sonnen’s. While Sonnen is very tough on the ground he is right out of the 90’s with his ground and pound incredibly tough but also very predictable. And he still managed to beat up Silva for 4 1/2 rounds. What would Bones do to Silva on the ground with his greater size and better skill set? Horrible, horrible things and Silva knows that.

And this is a pointless conversation to have. It should all be very apparent by now. There will never be a Silva/Jones fight because Silva doesn’t want one. But there might be a Silva/GSP fight because Silva wants one. Does GSP? I have no idea, but he shouldn’t want one for the reasons that I’ve stated previously.

Good good Zeb, for the billionth time, SILVA SLIPPED. He was literally toying with Sonnen up to that point. Then, in their second fight, after he gained his composure, he stuffed every takedown attempt Sonnen tried. Sonnen just plain got lucky in their first fight. That’s it. Jones is taller, but their walking around weight is about the same. I personally think Silva destroys Jones.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:
Good good Zeb, for the billionth time, SILVA SLIPPED. He was literally toying with Sonnen up to that point. Then, in their second fight, after he gained his composure, he stuffed every takedown attempt Sonnen tried. Sonnen just plain got lucky in their first fight. That’s it. Jones is taller, but their walking around weight is about the same. I personally think Silva destroys Jones. [/quote]

1. No one…NO ONE allows their opponent to beat the shit out of them for 4 1/2 rounds because they’re “toying with them.” Sorry that doesn’t wash. And I know you are far too smart to believe that Anderson Silva allowed himself to be punched, slapped, elbowed and generally beaten up for about 22 minutes straight just for shits and giggles.

2. In their second fight Sonnen took him down and once again proceeded the same GnP tha worked so well the first time. However, as you say in the second round Silva’s superior skills won the day when he did stuffed Sonnen’s takedowns and won the fight.

3. If you are claiming that Sonnen’s wrestling and ground game is superior to Jones in that area you are too far gone for me to change your mind on a message board. I would only ask you to take another look at both fighters in their last dozen fights or so. Jones is on another planet skill wise as compared to Sonnen. Now throw in the shear size (leg length, arm reach, height) of Jones and you have a recipe for disaster for Anderson Silva. Unless you don’t think those things matter. Is that what you’re saying. No you can’t be saying that.

4. Finally, Anderson Silva is one of the very best and also a very smart guy. He’s the best judge of whom he can and cannot beat. And he would prefer to fight GSP instead of Jones. Gee, you might want to ask yourself why that is.

This is funny stuff and we’re still talking about the obvious…Crazy, carazy crap.