T Nation

GSP v. Serra

My thoughts: GSP wins even bigger than in the Hughes fight. His fight with Chris Lytle was just about the most boring fight I have ever seen and I thought he should have lost it too.

GSP will bring the heat and the only way Serra will have chance is to take him down. The only problem there is Serra is not as good at takedowns as Matt Hughes. Big win for GSP.

Serra doesn’t stand a chance against GSP, and I think it is a joke for him to get a shot at the title. His fights were on the ultimate fighter were not impressins at all.

[quote]Petedacook wrote:
Serra doesn’t stand a chance against GSP, and I think it is a joke for him to get a shot at the title. His fights were on the ultimate fighter were not impressions at all. [/quote]

I agree and think it would suck balls if by some fluke Serra gets GSP in a submission and wins. I hope GSP doesn’t go too easy on him because they’re so unevenly matched.

It’s just another UFC joke fight. I’m not paying anymore of my hard earned dollars to watch this shit.

GSP is way too quick for Serra.

Serra has a shot to take GSP down with a throw from the clinch but thats about it.

I’m not a big fan of guys going for the double legged take down. It’s good here and there at best, but MMA fighters have evolved to be like cats and sprawl to counter that. I’m more for throws from the body clinch like Fedor does.

Serra might have a shot at knocking GSP out by faking a double and throwing a uppercut or overhead left.

Unless they have a Judo/Sombo or Greco background, most fighter’s upper-body takedowns are garbage. Hendo, Shonie Carter, Couture, Lindland (all Greco guys) and Parysian, Yoshida, Nakamura and Fedor (Judo) are the only skilled throwing technicians I can think of. The rest of the guys are ex-high school wrestlers or have basic wrestling/takedown skills (obv in comparison to the best fighters) at best. They know the double and thats about it.

Some of them (especially BJJ fighters) can’t even shoot a solid double (see Royce, Nogueira et al). Most of them just pull guard or muscle their opponent down (see Arona). Their ‘Judo’ or ‘wrestling’ skills are sub-par compared to a new-to-MMA Kaz Nakamura (back when he fought Little Nogueira for the first time).

Sure Nak was a National level Judo-ka, but you have to learn to adapt your Judo to no-gi obv and even a new Nak did that most impressively. The only BJJ guy I can think of who was impressive with his throws/upper-body stuff was Ricardo Almeida v. Lindland where Almeida even took a silver medalist in Lindland down.

I’m not sure why, but why does no one try to throw Liddel or Cro Cop, for example ? The obvious answer is most people don’t have the skill to do it. Why they don’t attempt to add to their repitoire, I have no idea.

serra is not well rounded, 1 game plan, and his opponents know it. his fights on the ultimate fighter were everything but impressive.

[quote]t3h_Squirr3l wrote:

I’m not sure why, but why does no one try to throw Liddel or Cro Cop, for example ? The obvious answer is most people don’t have the skill to do it. Why they don’t attempt to add to their repitoire, I have no idea. [/quote]

Yoshida, a gold medalist in judo wearing a gi couldn’t throw Cro Cop. Fedor had a lot of trouble but was able to get him down after gassing him out.

[quote]t3h_Squirr3l wrote:
Unless they have a Judo/Sombo or Greco background, most fighter’s upper-body takedowns are garbage. Hendo, Shonie Carter, Couture, Lindland (all Greco guys) and Parysian, Yoshida, Nakamura and Fedor (Judo) are the only skilled throwing technicians I can think of. The rest of the guys are ex-high school wrestlers or have basic wrestling/takedown skills (obv in comparison to the best fighters) at best. They know the double and thats about it.

[/quote]

What about Rampage? He’s built a persona and a career for himself around his throws.

The only person I have ever seen throw Liddell was Couture in UFC 43 and he didn’t just throw him, he fucking crushed him. And both Cro Cop and Liddell both have very good standup which makes closing the gap and getting in there for the take down rough for the inexperienced fighters, obviously.

He’s also a wee bit of a stuck-up douchebag like most Gracie fighters are.

GSP is out of UFC 67 ladies & gentlemen.

[quote]sjfou wrote:
GSP is out of UFC 67 ladies & gentlemen.[/quote]

thank god. a title shot for serra ? come awwwn.

Rampage is no technician, but, he too does have effective upper body stuff. I suppose you’re right about Liddell and Cro Cop being hard to close the distance with. They essentially hop on their bikes and pick their shots most of the time.