T Nation

GSP v. Alves?

I’ll take the Canadian nipple tweaker

Would / will be an awesome fight. Definitely GSP’s toughest challenge in a good while.

Good as Alves is, hard to bet against GSP. He’s a much more rounded fighter than Alves, he’s got more ways to win. Alves does have sick strikes, and a really good striker always has a chance.

UFC, make it happen!

I’ll take Alves. His take-down defense is great, and his standup is on par with GSP. He’s much more heavy handed, and in terms of fighting from the Clinch, GSP would be in for a world of hurt…

Kind of hard for me to think about this fight when GSP’s fighting Penn in January. Let’s see what happens in that fight before we start worrying about GSP-Alves, although I do think it would make for a good fight.

[quote]eitelmj wrote:
I’ll take Alves. His take-down defense is great, and his standup is on par with GSP. He’s much more heavy handed, and in terms of fighting from the Clinch, GSP would be in for a world of hurt…[/quote]

You make some good points. But unlike Kos and a very washed out looking Hughes, GSP is very, very good at setting up his takedowns, that’s why he has such a sick success rate with them. He also proved to be a better striker than either Fitch or Hughes in his recent victories against them.

And Fitch pretty much dominated Alves in their fight.

GSP is also not only a very gifted athlete, but a smart fighter as well. He always comes in with good gameplans, and has been able to pull them off effectively in his recent fights.

I’m not saying that Alves doesn’t have a chance. But I still give GSP the advantage in this one.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
eitelmj wrote:
I’ll take Alves. His take-down defense is great, and his standup is on par with GSP. He’s much more heavy handed, and in terms of fighting from the Clinch, GSP would be in for a world of hurt…

You make some good points. But unlike Kos and a very washed out looking Hughes, GSP is very, very good at setting up his takedowns, that’s why he has such a sick success rate with them. He also proved to be a better striker than either Fitch or Hughes in his recent victories against them.

GSP is also not only a very gifted athlete, but a smart fighter as well. He always comes in with good gameplans, and has been able to pull them off effectively in his recent fights.

I’m not saying that Alves doesn’t have a chance. But I still give GSP the advantage in this one.

[/quote]

I agree that it will be a good fight. One of the best we’ve seen in a while… that is if it happens.

Everyone likes to fall back on the fact that Fitch beat Alves… people seem to forget how long ago that was, and that Alves has SIGNIFICANTLY improved since then in his stand up, take downs, take down defense and grappling.

He’s also gotten much stronger and much larger since the JF fight… I see it going the distance, but, personally, I give a healthy Alves the edge.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
Kind of hard for me to think about this fight when GSP’s fighting Penn in January. Let’s see what happens in that fight before we start worrying about GSP-Alves, although I do think it would make for a good fight.[/quote]

IF GSP fights Alves, it’s only going to be a 3-round fight.

BJ is out for blood.

I think this would be the best competition GSP has seen in awhile, outside of BJ.

No matter what happens with the BJ fight they should give Alves a shot at GSP. If BJ takes the WW belt then give Alves a shot at BJ.

Neither BJ or GSP have proven to have devistating KO power. Alves would be perfect matchup for either. He’s probably not going to get KO’d. If his takedown defense holds up he has a punchers chance to KO either of them.

I wouldn’t be putting any money on Alves, but it sure figures to be an exciting fight.

For sure, alves vs. either gsp or penn would both be awesome.

[quote]eitelmj wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
eitelmj wrote:

I agree that it will be a good fight. One of the best we’ve seen in a while… that is if it happens.

Everyone likes to fall back on the fact that Fitch beat Alves… people seem to forget how long ago that was, and that Alves has SIGNIFICANTLY improved since then in his stand up, take downs, take down defense and grappling.

He’s also gotten much stronger and much larger since the JF fight… I see it going the distance, but, personally, I give a healthy Alves the edge.

[/quote]

True. Alves has improved significantly since his fight with Fitch. But so has GSP.

St. Pierre has also been through a full 5 round fight against a tough as nails Fitch. Alves has never been through a full 5 round fight. So, we don’t really know how good Alves’s conditioning is (it’s never been tested).

Again, I think that it will be a good fight,

It’s be 5 rounds, win or lose Penn and Gsp will keep their belts according to Dana but the winner will have two belts. Kind of confusing but he doesn’t want the winner moving up and down for fights in order to retain both belts. They’ll basically have an interim belt if they lose.

sidebar: i think anthony johnson would ruin Alves’ shit

[quote]drewh wrote:
It’s be 5 rounds, win or lose Penn and Gsp will keep their belts according to Dana but the winner will have two belts. Kind of confusing but he doesn’t want the winner moving up and down for fights in order to retain both belts. They’ll basically have an interim belt if they lose.[/quote]

That’s stupid. They should just make it a non title fight then.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
drewh wrote:
It’s be 5 rounds, win or lose Penn and Gsp will keep their belts according to Dana but the winner will have two belts. Kind of confusing but he doesn’t want the winner moving up and down for fights in order to retain both belts. They’ll basically have an interim belt if they lose.

That’s stupid. They should just make it a non title fight then.[/quote]

Yeah, that is very lame. I really hate all that interim crap. Look at what it’s done to the HW division.

I don’t understand why Dana has a problem with GSP or Penn moving up and down weight divisions when he clearly has no problem with Anderson doing it.

[quote]Djwlfpack wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
drewh wrote:

Yeah, that is very lame. I really hate all that interim crap. Look at what it’s done to the HW division.

I don’t understand why Dana has a problem with GSP or Penn moving up and down weight divisions when he clearly has no problem with Anderson doing it.[/quote]

Well, perhaps it’s because the Middle weight division has been a fairly boring landscape lately. Silva pretty much mowed through everyone they put up against him and I think Dana didn’t really see any harm in letting him move up to LHW to see if he could get some more exciting fights.

The WW and LW divisions on the other hand still seem to have a lot of potential contenders and tend to produce more exciting fights overall.

Not to mention that if say GSP wins the fight and gains the LW title, I don’t think he’d even want to try cutting down to 155 to defend it. So, that might be a factor as well (willingness to defend at said weight class).

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
sidebar: i think anthony johnson would ruin Alves’ shit[/quote]

Now that would be an exciting fight…it would not make it past the 1st round thats for sure. Rumble has that reach advantage plus the skills to match.

Alves will NOT outmuscle GSP, and GSP will be able to take him down if he chooses to. GSP isn’t the striker Alves is, but he is faster and has a big reach advantage so I don’t see Alves having that big of an edge in the standup. I think GSP will break him in the 4th or 5th w/ his excellent cardio and GnP his way to a decision.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
drewh wrote:

I don’t understand why Dana has a problem with GSP or Penn moving up and down weight divisions when he clearly has no problem with Anderson doing it.

Well, perhaps it’s because the Middle weight division has been a fairly boring landscape lately. Silva pretty much mowed through everyone they put up against him and I think Dana didn’t really see any harm in letting him move up to LHW to see if he could get some more exciting fights.

The WW and LW divisions on the other hand still seem to have a lot of potential contenders and tend to produce more exciting fights overall.

Not to mention that if say GSP wins the fight and gains the LW title, I don’t think he’d even want to try cutting down to 155 to defend it. So, that might be a factor as well (willingness to defend at said weight class).[/quote]

Makes sense, but I think they would be better off just making it a special rules match. Especially if BJ wins. What the hell kind of sense does it make for GSP to still be the champ in a weight class that BJ may very well fight in some regularity?

It is still a fight for fuck’s sake. What is this “everybody is a winner and goes home with a belt” crap? Does the UFC stand for Ultimate Friends Championship now?

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
drewh wrote:

Not to mention that if say GSP wins the fight and gains the LW title, I don’t think he’d even want to try cutting down to 155 to defend it. So, that might be a factor as well (willingness to defend at said weight class).

Makes sense, but I think they would be better off just making it a special rules match. Especially if BJ wins. What the hell kind of sense does it make for GSP to still be the champ in a weight class that BJ may very well fight in some regularity?

It is still a fight for fuck’s sake. What is this “everybody is a winner and goes home with a belt” crap? Does the UFC stand for Ultimate Friends Championship now?

[/quote]

LOL. Good point, and really unless the fighter in question is actually willing to fight at the weight class in mention, I don’t think you should have them fight for that belt. Dana could have simply made this fight for the Welterweight belt and not even brought an “interim” belt or the LW belt into it at all. Both GSP and BJ are willing to fight at WW after all.

I think he knows that he can make more money by having numerous people holding different belts, than having one person holding multiple belts; especially with the frequency that we generally see champions defend their title. Just think if someone held two titles how infrequently people would be able to challenge for them.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
Djwlfpack wrote:
analog_kid wrote:
drewh wrote:

LOL. Good point, and really unless the fighter in question is actually willing to fight at the weight class in mention, I don’t think you should have them fight for that belt. Dana could have simply made this fight for the Welterweight belt and not even brought an “interim” belt or the LW belt into it at all. Both GSP and BJ are willing to fight at WW after all.

I think he knows that he can make more money by having numerous people holding different belts, than having one person holding multiple belts; especially with the frequency that we generally see champions defend their title. Just think if someone held two titles how infrequently people would be able to challenge for them.[/quote]

yep. I think you have to look at this another way. It appears that what they are attempting to do is create a non-title super fight. The interim title is just so they can make it 5 rounds.

So the question is, do you want to see them fight 3 or 5 rounds?