GSP is a Nerd: Awsome

[quote]Lynn Hoppes:
Georges St. Pierre is a nerd.

Yes, I said it. To his face.

MMA’s No. 1 welterweight (20-2) and Spike TV’s Most Dangerous Man of 2010 would rather talk science than sports.

“I don’t like to tell people that very much, but I am,” said the 170-pound, 5-foot-10 Canadian who has been a pro fighter for eight years. “I don’t really watch sports. I watch the Canadian version of the Discovery Channel. Ask me a question about the Jurassic period or the Cretaceous period and I probably could answer it.”

Uh, what?

“Seriously, I’m into paleontology. That’s the study of prehistoric life. I’m into philosophy. And psychology, too,” said St. Pierre, who was in Bristol, Conn., Monday to film a TV commercial. “You know that the Tyrannosaurus Rex was found with feathers? Yes, feathers!”

Uh, what?

“You know why we play sports? It’s because it goes back to days when we used to fight in the battlefields. We are war-like. It’s deep inside us,” continued the UFC welterweight champion. “Sports today is the modern way to make war. We’re just more civilized.”

Uh, what?

“When I train, I love to take time off and fly to the Natural History Museum or an exhibition. I just love that,” said St. Pierre, who lives in Montreal. “When you know your past, it will help you with your future.”

OK, well â?¦

“That’s why most of my friends are not fighters. Most of my friends are nerds like me,” he said. “That’s why I have a hard time finding a girlfriend. I need someone to talk science with. I’m married to my work right now. But you never know. One day I could wake up and just do something different. Life is so unpredictable.”
[/quote]

Yes. Just another reason to admire this guy. Hopefully some day he’ll be writing training articles.

This is why I’ve liked him since getting into MMA circa UFC 58, despite him showing little of his personality outside the cage. He’s a thinker before an athlete, and it shows in his approach to the game (technique, skill-acquisition, physical prep, nutrition, recovery). That’s something to be respected in a sport that was born out of toughman contests.

Georges will more than likely take on a coaching role in the sport once he retires, which hopefully won’t be anytime soon.

[quote]rundymc wrote:
This is why I’ve liked him since getting into MMA circa UFC 58, despite him showing little of his personality outside the cage. He’s a thinker before an athlete, and it shows in his approach to the game (technique, skill-acquisition, physical prep, nutrition, recovery). That’s something to be respected in a sport that was born out of toughman contests.

Georges will more than likely take on a coaching role in the sport once he retires, which hopefully won’t be anytime soon.[/quote]

Dont get any illusions.Top fighters have heavy dose of taht killer instict thing lurking below
civilezed/friendly surface :wink:

It’s always good to see intelligent fighters.

The Klitschos are another good example of guys who are very well educated besides being great fighters.

My friends that were bouncers at nightclubs, met GSP. i heard its true. He is just the average nice guy in school who would get picked on. He’s kinda like the kid who got beat up at school all the time, so his parents put him in martial arts to defend him self.

He just got good at it.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

The Klitschos are another good example of guys who are very well educated besides being great fighters.[/quote]

Aren’t they PhD’s in what equates to our kin programs?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

The Klitschos are another good example of guys who are very well educated besides being great fighters.[/quote]

Aren’t they PhD’s in what equates to our kin programs?[/quote]

I can’t answer this, but they do have PhDs, speak several languages and are pretty damn good at chess. In fact, I recall Vitali being a big fan of “chess-boxing”.

Can you imagine trying to become chess-boxing champion of the world only to realise you will be facing… the actual champion of the world.

holy shit as far as the klitchko’s go…thats incredible.

Dolph Lundgren(yes ivan drago) was a sweedish kyokushin team captain but also an engineering masters or phd grad…

[quote]666Rich wrote:

Dolph Lundgren(yes ivan drago) was a sweedish kyokushin team captain but also an engineering masters or phd grad…[/quote]

I believe it’s chemical engineering. I may be shooting from the hip, though.

[quote]Beast27195 wrote:

[quote]666Rich wrote:

Dolph Lundgren(yes ivan drago) was a sweedish kyokushin team captain but also an engineering masters or phd grad…[/quote]

I believe it’s chemical engineering. I may be shooting from the hip, though. [/quote]

You are correct. MIT I think.