Grunting, Screaming, Noises while training?

I do understand your point of view, and that is my usual mindset for moderately heavy and below training. Loud breathing/hissing sound is all you’ll hear. But damn for those 5rm’s of heavy exercises it just wasn’t happening without some noise. I certainly wasn’t doing it for attention, cause having people watching me train annoys the hell out of me. Granted, there are dicks in every gym who think they’re the shit and do it for show, but please don’t associate me with those guys. They yell on everything like people said leg extensions, and incline presseswith 60 lb dumbells then toss em to the floor like jerks. I am of the though that these guys suck, but when handling poundages near or above 500lbs. I believe there is merit if it is helping you get the lift or an extra rep in.
Regards,
Scott

First off, clever handle!!
Second, I train at 2 different gyms in my town due to my work schedule ( I work 7 days on, then 7 off, god 26 weeks off a year kicks ass!!). One as you said is the 24 hour fitness, which is where I had the problem during my work week as it is close to work and I don’t have the time to trek across town to the more hardcore gym. The second is the fit deck, where the plates are black iron the floor is beat up and Britney Spears or any of the current pop crap burning up the charts is truly worse than commiting all of the deadly sins. I wish I could train there all the time but I would have to cut into my sleep quite a bit to do so, and that’s no good.

I grunt, sure,… I don;t like having a partner, and sometimes those last few reps just won;'t coorperate! When I’m doing Inc DBS, and the weights go half way up, and start to stall out,… damn straight I ain’t gonna be quiet! (not gonna start squirming my ass around in the seat though-lol) I do see a lot of punks vying for attention though,… 170lb kids, pressing 40’s while letting out blood curldling screams… sad and funny at the same time.

I reckon your talkin to me, What im refering to are over head tricep extensions where you take the selected dumbell,(100,110,120) sit backwards on a preacher bench. Pick a single dumbell off the ground using both hands. Get it into position over your head, bring the weight down till it touches the back of your neck and press it back up. Like french presses with the e-z curl bar. I find the dumbell variation really target the hard to hit inner head of the tricep. I never really started gaining size till i started dropping the isolation movements in favor of the big heavy movements. This is my favorite tricep movement,followed by dips with a weight belt.

IMHO, if the sound is natural it’s probably okay. What I mean is, no one needs to grunt on a warm-up set, and no one needs to let out a full-on scream at all. (Ever.) If you do, you’re just posing.

But there’s no doubt that you should let air out as you max out, and if there’s some hissing or snarling or whatever at that time, fine. But it shouldn’t be audible out in the parking lot.

There are a couple of screamers at the gym where I work out. They’re guys who are young, and who think that it’s the thing to do in a gym to show that they’re “fighting”. Sadly, Japanese etiquette prevents me from saying anything to them, even one of the guys sounds like Tarzan getting cornholed by a gorilla.

Sigh.

Sorry guys. My last post was directed toward EggNog.

I’m like the Mighty Stu, I am really quiet when I’m lifting, except for those last couple of hard reps. So, when I’m stalling out, sometimes I’ll start a quiet “Grrrrrrrrrrr” and I swear that extra effort pushes that weight up and pushes me past my personal best. Come to think of it, I think every personal best I have ever done has ended in a quiet “Grrrrrrrrr!” It also forces me to breathe as well. It feels really natural to do it though, it’s not a forced thing, it just sort of happens. Kinda like kissing a girl.

Ill never forget this time at the school weight room when skinny ass dude, couldnt have weighed 100 lbs soaking wet, was benching with the bar and maybe 5lbs on each side. Well this dingleberry was pumping 55lbs making all sorts of fucking sounds im mean it sounded like he was passing a damn kidney stone. Everyone in the place was looking at him like is this dude serious. It was fucking hhhheeeeeeeelarious, but guess you had to be there.

There seems to be a lot of disdain for those that can’t lift as much still making noise. In the cases that have been mentioned where form was in grievous error, I understand, but what one person grunts with, another warms up with. As for me, I’m typically a quiet person, and that carries over to the weight room. There are very few exercises that I make any noise on and only during maximal efforts. You should earn attention, not ask for it.

I don’t like screaming… I understand a lot of other noises that come out (grunts, hisses… some other ‘bodily’ sounds from people on incline crunches…) but then again I can’t lift nearly as much as a lot of the people on the forums. Give it time though and I’ll be lifting similar weights, Scream-free.

I imagine if it took that much time to get the weight up, Coach Davies would be the one screaming at you for not doing it faster and more explosively.
At the same time, Don Alessi might expect a 5 second concentric scream…
I don’t know if Charles Staley would approve of lifts where you even have time to scream during the concentric portion.
And if someone from 24 hr. fitness has a problem, just point out that one person screaming is better than having the whole Westside crew shouting at someone during the lift.