Growth Stimulus Training?

Just want to ask whether anyone over here has looked at the GST program and if so, what do you think about it?

Basically, there are 4 main lifts, one on each day (either 7 or 8 day cycle): squat, pull, lift, press. So the main exercises can be something like BB back squat, pull/chinups, conventional deadlift, and flat/incline bench press. You do 3 sets, with the last one as many reps as possible. In the first week, it’s 8 reps at 60-70% of your 1RM. Second week, 6 reps at 70-80% of 1RM. Third, 4 reps at 80-90%. And finally, 1 rep at 90-100% of 1RM in the fourth and last week. Rinse, repeat.

There are also two supplemental exercises working the same group of muscles that was targeted that day with the main core lift, done at 8-10 reps in the first week, then 15-20 in the second, and you continue this cycle. I think there’s also one or two more sets added for strength training or something, but that’s in the e-book.

So, what do you think?

it 5/3/1

people keep coming up with new names for old things…

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
it 5/3/1[/quote]

It’s a completely different rep scheme though, no?

[quote]sepandee wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
it 5/3/1[/quote]

It’s a completely different rep scheme though, no?[/quote]

That doesn’t change the fact that it’s a blatant rip off with minimal changes…

[quote]sepandee wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
it 5/3/1[/quote]

That makes no difference

[quote]JaseHxC wrote:

[quote]sepandee wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
it 5/3/1[/quote]

That doesn’t change the fact that it’s a blatant rip off with minimal changes…[/quote]

K, let’s say it’s a rip-off with a different rep scheme. I assume that means it’s still a good, workable program for a beginner, no? And the higher rep scheme just means it’s not as strength-oriented?

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
it 5/3/1[/quote]

Some Facts:

*531 is based on a three week cycle and a fourth week in which the trainee takes a forced deload week.
GST is based roughly on a four week cycle without a built in deload.

*531 places virtually zero emphasis on supplemental exercises. The trainee is left to use any rep scheme that they want with no requirements.
GST supplementary exercises rotate through regimented rep schemes that are emphasized within the program as vastly important.

*531 is just that…one week in a 5rep range, one week in a 3rep range, and one week with a 1rep day.
GST has a 8rep week, a 6rep week, a 3-4 rep week, and a 1-2rep week planned around % of 1RM.

*531 breaks down into Bench Press, Squat, Dead, and Overhead Press. There is not a dedicated Pull Day.
GST has a dedicated Pull Day in place of the Overhead Press Day

IN ADDITION, GST schedules in direct ab work, off day dynamic “complex” work, and also has direct guidlines concerning recovery. To my knowledge, 531 emphasises none of this.

GST is like 531 in that it is set up by using a % of 1RM…that is where the comparison ends.

[quote]2020Wellness wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
it 5/3/1[/quote]

Some Facts:

*531 is based on a three week cycle and a fourth week in which the trainee takes a forced deload week.

*531 places virtually zero emphasis on supplemental exercises. The trainee is left to use any rep scheme that they want with no requirements.
GST supplementary exercises rotate through regimented rep schemes that are emphasized within the program as vastly important.
Wendler left a lot of room for the lifter to plug assistance work in depending on their weaknesses. he also makes recommendations.

*531 is just that…one week in a 5rep range, one week in a 3rep range, and one week with a 1rep day.
GST has a 8rep week, a 6rep week, a 3-4 rep week, and a 1-2rep week planned around % of 1RM.
just wanted to make sure you’re clear that it’s AT LEAST 5 reps, then AT LEAST 3, and AT LEAST 1, but you do as many as possible, and all numbers are based off of 90% of your 1RM, or your actual 4RM.

*531 breaks down into Bench Press, Squat, Dead, and Overhead Press. There is not a dedicated Pull Day.
I forget which day has rows and pullups, but iirc they are recommended as assistance work for bench press day.

IN ADDITION, GST schedules in direct ab work, off day dynamic “complex” work, and also has direct guidlines concerning recovery. To my knowledge, 531 emphasises none of this.
Wendler recommends that you do ab work, or else you’ll run into a wall with your progression. recovery guidelines are common sense, stay hydrated and eat whole chickens at every meal.

GST is like 531 in that it is set up by using a % of 1RM…that is where the comparison ends.[/quote]

fixed a bit.

5/3/1 is as simple as simple gets, and is designed for steady, long-term progress with built-in speed work that doesn’t require any special equipment. not sure why you would need anything more complex. it’s also highly flexible as you can do the original 4 day split in 3 days or even 2.

Yeah, they’re pretty similar. I don’t believe that GST has any kind of %'s involved, no? Correct me if I’m wrong. IMO 5/3/1 is superior. I don’t care if Wendler doesn’t tell you what assistance to do, because you can figure it out yourself. Find out what works best for you in terms of assistance. Its common sense that on squat and deadlift days you should do some kind of quad, hamstring, and core assistance work. On bench and overhead, get in some chest or shoulders, triceps, and upper back work.

Wendler thinks in long term, bases things off some kind of %, and has more credentials in my opinion.

sounds like 2020 wellness bumped this year old thread with incorrect info to promote GST

Didn’t even realize it was a year old, but seems you are right. Thanks 2020Wellness for that.

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
sounds like 2020 wellness bumped this year old thread with incorrect info to promote GST[/quote]
Well to be “fair”, or rather, to maintain full disclosure which 2020Wellness should’ve stated in his blatant bump, 2020Wellness is the Ryan dude who seems to have created GST. I’m basing this off the several threads he’s started to pimp his Youtube videos.

So, yeah. There’s that. Also, since this thread has your attention, 2020, I was wondering if you could speak a little more about your claim in the main page video on the GST site. At :13 of the vid, you have the headline, “TESTED BY 1000’S, PROVEN BY ALL.”

You’re saying, with a straight face, that thousands of people have followed your GST program. Thousands. With an S. Thousands? Thousands. Hyperbole for the sake of advertising is one thing. Embellished claims of success are another.

I’m not even going to get into the fact that the “lift” in your “squat, press, lift, pull”-mantra is kinda redundant, or at best, vague. We can probably just chalk that up to poor word choice. It’s hard to avoid that kind of thing when we’re trying to build a better mousetrap.

But to end on a high note, your site’s layout did look pretty sharp. Best of luck with it.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]caveman101 wrote:
sounds like 2020 wellness bumped this year old thread with incorrect info to promote GST[/quote]
Well to be “fair”, or rather, to maintain full disclosure which 2020Wellness should’ve stated in his blatant bump, 2020Wellness is the Ryan dude who seems to have created GST. I’m basing this off the several threads he’s started to pimp his Youtube videos.[/quote]

LOL

just… LOL.

haha Chris you are the man, man.

Based on what you just wrote it sounds the same with built in axillary work, one different primary lift, and more rep/set structure.

This reminds me, I just invented a machine to get to work. It has 1 seat, 3 wheels, head lamps, etc. It is like a motorcycle in that it has an internal combustion engine but that’s where the similarities end.

[quote]2020Wellness wrote:
Some Facts:

GST is like 531 in that it is set up by using a % of 1RM…that is where the comparison ends.[/quote]

^awesome ride.

It’s a trike.

And we invented those last century !!

[quote]big nurse wrote:
It’s a trike.

And we invented those last century !![/quote]

[quote]
~Wikipedia History~
The first tricycle was built in 2011 by a disgruntled T-Nation reader, JLone who wanted to get to work without spending a lot of money of gas.[/quote]
^I just updated Wiki.

—Edit—
On a side note the trike was invented in 1680 by a German man, which was not last century:)

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]big nurse wrote:
It’s a trike.

[quote]
~Wikipedia History~
The first tricycle was built in 2011 by a disgruntled T-Nation reader, JLone who wanted to get to work without spending a lot of money of gas.[/quote]
^I just updated Wiki.

—Edit—
On a side note the trike was invented in 1680 by a German man, which was not last century:)[/quote]

lol for BN, that’s like yesterday!!

=p sorry ya ol’ coot! it was a perfect setup, I couldn’t resist…

[quote]JLone wrote:

[quote]big nurse wrote:
It’s a trike.

[quote]
~Wikipedia History~
^I just updated Wiki.

—Edit—
On a side note the trike was invented in 1680 by a German man, which was not last century:)[/quote]

It was to me you young whippersnapper.

Ok i was thinking about the fully motorised steerable version with brakes called the morgan !!