Growth In Unworked Muscles??

I have a question regarding bodyweight training. Now I usually train with a 4 day split and have gotten great reults. However my brother sticks to body weight training. All he does are pull up variations, push up variations, body squats, and ab work. I was wondering how is it that he still has a good amount a growth in muscles he does not work like calves and shoulders, does that body just want to stay about the same size all over?

Maybe it is he routine, he has no real set/rep scheme, all he does is try to reach a certain target number of reps. For example 250 push, 250 pull ups, and 500 squats with some ab work in 1-1 1/2 hrs.

250 pull-ups in 1.5 hours, to me at least, is pretty impressive. Does he do hindu squats(BW squat on toes)?

yeah those, start off standing then as you lower yourself get on your toes.

He works up to those numbers. When he started it was 100 push ups & pullups and like 200 bw squats in as much time as it took. He repeats the routine 3x a week.

Ive been training bodyweight, I haven’t found myself to have lost any strength at all from pure bodyweight sets.

My father and my grandfather, did that Charles Atlas shit, and both of them are pretty respectably built men.

My brother lifts weights and is ALOT bigger than any of us.

I think there is a myth, that you can only develop using weights or something.

I am going to start lifting more again, but bodyweight exercises can build you a respectable and efficient physique.

I guess, its when you get passed just building the respectable physique and want to get HUGE, that weight training is the only real way to go.

You’ll never be Ronnie COleman just from doing pushups…but are you trying to be him?

If you just want to be strong, and cut up, running and calisthetics will do that.

Since my gym was closed today I decided to do a bodyweight w/o, wow, it was tough I cut the total reps in half so I did 125 pull-ups, 125 push ups, 250 hindu squats, and 200 crunches in about 1 hr. The squats really made my legs cramp up.

Regarding my first post does your body naturally make unworked muscles grow?

If you’re eating enough food to make good gains some of it will go to muscles which aren’t worked directly. Sumo wrestlers have more muscle mass than top bodybuilders or powerlifters, after all. But no, this doesn’t mean you should just do bench and curls and get big everywhere.

[quote]DSmolken wrote:
If you’re eating enough food to make good gains some of it will go to muscles which aren’t worked directly. Sumo wrestlers have more muscle mass than top bodybuilders or powerlifters, after all. But no, this doesn’t mean you should just do bench and curls and get big everywhere.[/quote]

…right…

This is why bulgarian powerlifters who go to Japan to do Sumo, so easily own every goddamn tubolard on the mat.

Because they, have less muscle mass.

Sumo training is some of the dumbest, ineffecint, tradition bound bullshit there is.

If you honestly think Sumos are athletic or strong, I question your knowledge.

sorry but if a sumo actually grabs you then what the heck do you do?

sumos may not be as strong as powerlifters, but when it comes to fighting its not the same as a barbell. having more muscle mass/fat… and generally more weight you’ll be much much harder to be moved by your opponent.

its like trying to fight a bear. no matter how strong you are, even if the bear grew in a zoo and never grew any muscles, if he wasnt afraid to fight you there is no way you’d win

[quote]Sikkario wrote:
DSmolken wrote:
If you’re eating enough food to make good gains some of it will go to muscles which aren’t worked directly. Sumo wrestlers have more muscle mass than top bodybuilders or powerlifters, after all. But no, this doesn’t mean you should just do bench and curls and get big everywhere.

…right…

This is why bulgarian powerlifters who go to Japan to do Sumo, so easily own every goddamn tubolard on the mat.

Because they, have less muscle mass.

Sumo training is some of the dumbest, ineffecint, tradition bound bullshit there is.

If you honestly think Sumos are athletic or strong, I question your knowledge.[/quote]

There was a study done a while back where they took something like 10 elite bodybuilders, 10 elite powerlifters (shw Im assuming), and 10 elite sumo wrestlers and tested them all for lean mass.

Here is how they ranked in average amount of lean mass:
3. Bodybuilders
2. Powerlifters

1. Sumo Wrestlers

Do you honestly think that one can get to a weight of 350+ lbs while developing the ability to push around other people who weigh 350+ lbs and NOT have some degree of muscle under there? This sounds like the “hes fat, therefor he has no muscle, strength, or athletic ability” hypothesis.

So this bulgarian wrestler and powerlifter must just be a work.

[quote]Sikkario wrote:

So this bulgarian wrestler and powerlifter must just be a work.[/quote]

that link says nothing about him being a powerlifter but you are talking individuals and we are talking averages so a single individual is irrelevant.

To get back on topic. Of course unworked muscle groups will grow as well. Imagine that your arms hypertrophy, would it not make sense that your traps and shoulders also get bigger, just because your arms are suspended by them?

For the most part, unworked muscles will not grow, but like the previous poster said, an increase in weight will affect how much the “unworked” muscle does when your not “workingout”.

So if you gain 20lbs, and dont get around by driving an electric cart, then yah, your calves should get bigger.

But why not work all muscles?

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
I have a question regarding bodyweight training. Now I usually train with a 4 day split and have gotten great reults. However my brother sticks to body weight training. All he does are pull up variations, push up variations, body squats, and ab work. I was wondering how is it that he still has a good amount a growth in muscles he does not work like calves and shoulders, does that body just want to stay about the same size all over?

Maybe it is he routine, he has no real set/rep scheme, all he does is try to reach a certain target number of reps. For example 250 push, 250 pull ups, and 500 squats with some ab work in 1-1 1/2 hrs.[/quote]

Contrary to one of your replies. The pull-up hits a lot of muscles as do the pushup, squat, and other bodyweight work. Do you really think that muscles grow from zero work? What may surprise you… is that… bodyweight stuff like dips and pullups are actually pretty tough to do enormous amounts of… and you won’t see the average gym tourist do much of either and be consistent… BE AMAZED BY REALITY AND FACT VS FICTION!!!

The application of common sense and analysis with proper observation will aid you greatly in understanding how the body works in the near future. Or just have him workout shirtless and in a posing trunk for you.

His set/rep scheme is the general annihilate the body method, how much does he weigh because I have a pretty ideal mental picture of his physique.

For more examples see :

• Olympic Gymnasts
  • Competitive Grappler/Judo Martial Artists
  • Prison workouts
  • Bartendaz - Youtube
  • Street Workout
  • Collegiate Water-Polo and Swimmers
  • I’ve known plenty of competitive swimmers tho I taunted them mercilessly that were shredded and muscular though not by the same methods as I.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
Sikkario wrote:

So this bulgarian wrestler and powerlifter must just be a work.

that link says nothing about him being a powerlifter but you are talking individuals and we are talking averages so a single individual is irrelevant.[/quote]

It also says he is 338 pounds.

[quote]Sikkario wrote:

So this bulgarian wrestler and powerlifter must just be a work.[/quote]

Perhaps you remember this from another thread:

[quote]Sikkario wrote:
At my boxing gym, I saw some big man bodybuilder prolly roided out get his ass kicked by 16 year old black kid who weighed 155 lbs soaking wet.[/quote]

So… this 155 lb kid had more lean body mass than the big man bodybuilder. Your trolling isn’t very good.

And to get back to the subject, I’m pretty sure my jaw muscles have grown over the last year+ and I certainly haven’t been training them. Once I’m back to the body fat levels that I started at I should know for certain how much the shape of my face changed.

read the article on the homepage about systematic stress and whole body growth…

[quote]kinein wrote:
xXSeraphimXx wrote:

Maybe it is he routine, he has no real set/rep scheme, all he does is try to reach a certain target number of reps. For example 250 push, 250 pull ups, and 500 squats with some ab work in 1-1 1/2 hrs.

Contrary to one of your replies. The pull-up hits a lot of muscles as do the pushup, squat, and other bodyweight work. Do you really think that muscles grow from zero work? What may surprise you… is that… bodyweight stuff like dips and pullups are actually pretty tough to do enormous amounts of… and you won’t see the average gym tourist do much of either and be consistent… BE AMAZED BY REALITY AND FACT VS FICTION!!!

The application of common sense and analysis with proper observation will aid you greatly in understanding how the body works in the near future. Or just have him workout shirtless and in a posing trunk for you.

His set/rep scheme is the general annihilate the body method, how much does he weigh because I have a pretty ideal mental picture of his physique.

For more examples see :

• Olympic Gymnasts
  • Competitive Grappler/Judo Martial Artists
  • Prison workouts
  • Bartendaz - Youtube
  • Street Workout
  • Collegiate Water-Polo and Swimmers
  • I’ve known plenty of competitive swimmers tho I taunted them mercilessly that were shredded and muscular though not by the same methods as I. [/quote]

He weighs from 165-175 not really sure.

I remember seeing somewhere that muscle growth isn’t a localized thing, but for the most part a total body development. I’m not sure how much I agree with the idea, but if the body is in muscle building mode, and being fed, just about any stimulus can trigger growth.