Growth Factor Training for Other Muscle Groups?

CT

Thank you for the amazing article today on shoulder training. After reading this I was curious about your thoughts on how/if you could incorporate this training for other muscle groups as well. I know in the article it stated that you work the shoulders from a variety of angles, and I know the shoulders may be a body part where changes in the angle of resistance may be easier in terms of transition between exercises. Just curious on how this type of training could be incorporated for other body parts. Also would you only suggest this approach for weak/lagging body parts or could this style of training be utilized in terms of a normal training block. Thanks!

[quote]JoeAnderson wrote:
CT

Thank you for the amazing article today on shoulder training. After reading this I was curious about your thoughts on how/if you could incorporate this training for other muscle groups as well. I know in the article it stated that you work the shoulders from a variety of angles, and I know the shoulders may be a body part where changes in the angle of resistance may be easier in terms of transition between exercises. Just curious on how this type of training could be incorporated for other body parts. Also would you only suggest this approach for weak/lagging body parts or could this style of training be utilized in terms of a normal training block. Thanks![/quote]

The same principle: utilizing long duration compound sets to maximize growth factor release can be used for any muscle group. But you do not need as much variety as for the shoulders.

Right now my friend Nick is preparing for a bodybuilding competition and the bulk of his training is in that optic with one heavy lift to start the session.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

CT

Thank you for the amazing article today on shoulder training. After reading this I was curious about your thoughts on how/if you could incorporate this training for other muscle groups as well. I know in the article it stated that you work the shoulders from a variety of angles, and I know the shoulders may be a body part where changes in the angle of resistance may be easier in terms of transition between exercises. Just curious on how this type of training could be incorporated for other body parts. Also would you only suggest this approach for weak/lagging body parts or could this style of training be utilized in terms of a normal training block. Thanks![/quote]

The same principle: utilizing long duration compound sets to maximize growth factor release can be used for any muscle group. But you do not need as much variety as for the shoulders.

Right now my friend Nick is preparing for a bodybuilding competition and the bulk of his training is in that optic with one heavy lift to start the session.[/quote]

One could do regular sets lasting 60 seconds, but I find that when you do this with compound movements you…

1. Have to use very light weights which isn’t something I like to do with the big basics

2. Will have the synergist muscles take over after about 30 seconds, not producing the targeted result we are after

So with muscle groups used in big lifts the approach I like is a triple set starting with a compound movement for about 6 reps (still fairly heavy) then two isolation exercises for 8-10 reps each.

Maybe I’m trying to do too much here, but I was thinking of blending a few of your principles I have learned throughout the years. Let me know if I’m trying to do too much here:

Thinking of starting every lift with my main lift using a 3RM ramp, followed by a few cluster sets (with same weight?) (thinking of starting at 3 sets and working up to 5 as my tolerance for volume progresses)

Following the main lift I will perform pump work similar to your shoulder article yesterday for the muscle I had trained the prior (like your Double Stimulation Method)

Finally finish with some abs or maybe a metcon for help with body comp.

I’d love your insight on what you think of combining these principals, I really enjoy your work and would like to incorporate Ramps again as well as more bodybuiling/hypertrophy work.

Thanks again CT

Maybe I’m trying to do too much here, but I was thinking of blending a few of your principles I have learned throughout the years. Let me know if I’m trying to do too much here:

Thinking of starting every lift with my main lift using a 3RM ramp, followed by a few cluster sets (with same weight?) (thinking of starting at 3 sets and working up to 5 as my tolerance for volume progresses)

Following the main lift I will perform pump work similar to your shoulder article yesterday for the muscle I had trained the prior (like your Double Stimulation Method)

Finally finish with some abs or maybe a metcon for help with body comp.

I’d love your insight on what you think of combining these principals, I really enjoy your work and would like to incorporate Ramps again as well as more bodybuiling/hypertrophy work.

Thanks again CT[/quote]

That’s perfectly fine and will be very effective.