T Nation

Growth Factor for Legs

Hello CT,

I used your shoulders and back growth factors the last weeks. I totally liked it and it was a huge success. At the moment, I would like to improve my legs and could need a leg growth factor! I know it's a tough question, but a leg growth factor could also help other lifters :slightly_smiling:

Thanks in advance!

Growth Factor Complete Training
Confused about How to Get Bigger Legs

Yes that would be great, after the shoulder weeks, it’s leg time and a growth factor legs workout would be perfect!

[quote]Geradiar wrote:
Hello CT,

I used your shoulders and back growth factors the last weeks. I totally liked it and it was a huge success. At the moment, I would like to improve my legs and could need a leg growth factor! I know it’s a tough question, but a leg growth factor could also help other lifters :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance![/quote]

You should be able to plan this yourself -it’s easy enough to understand the shoulder growth factor workout, and once you’ve seen the back growth factor workout it’s quite a common theme…

…mechanical drop sets at a higher rep range. Let each complex focus on a different area of the legs (quad focused/hammy focused)

I’m thinking of running a growth factor day for arms!

[quote]lboro21 wrote:You should be able to plan this yourself -it’s easy enough to understand the shoulder growth factor workout, and once you’ve seen the back growth factor workout it’s quite a common theme…

…mechanical drop sets at a higher rep range. Let each complex focus on a different area of the legs (quad focused/hammy focused)

I’m thinking of running a growth factor day for arms!
[/quote]

Correct, what we do is 2-3 mechanical drop sets using compound movements followed by one or two supersets using isolation work.

Here are 3 mechanical drop sets that we use.

1. Front squat heels elevated/Goodmorning/Back squat
    *NOTE: we are now doing the GM first.
  1. Romanian deadlift/Sumo deadlift/conventional deadlift
  1. Goblet squat/KB swing/KB squat (could also be KB lunges)

Right now we are focusing on hamstrings so the superset we use is:

1.1 Lying leg curl extended set:
8-10 reps / rest 10 sec / reps to failure (same weight) / drop weight and again 6-8 reps / rest 10 sec /reps to failure (same weight)

No rest, move on to …

1.2 Leg press feet high on platform (only heels are on the platform)
12-15 reps

3 sets

Other mechanical drop sets you can use include movements where you change the leg/feet angle…

For example…

Leg extension
8-10 reps feet/legs turned in
8-10 reps neutral
8-10 reps feet/legs turned out

CT, what kind of shoes, does Nick wear ? Olympic lifting shoes or"normal"?

[quote]Akidara wrote:
CT, what kind of shoes, does Nick wear ? Olympic lifting shoes or"normal"? [/quote]

Normal shoes, he’s not a weightlifter or crossfitter so he never trained in anything but regular shoes.

Is it 3 sets for the mechanicals as well?

Thanks for your time.

For the first three clusters, you shoot for 3 sets?

[quote]klaves wrote:
Is it 3 sets for the mechanicals as well?

Thanks for your time.

[/quote]

yes

Thank you

Hi CT,
In regards to the mechincal drop sets with front squats, you mention that you currently are doing it but with good mornings first. Is there a reason why you starting with good mornings first?
Thank you!

Hi CT,
In regards to the mechincal drop sets with front squats, you mention that you currently are doing it but with good mornings first. Is there a reason why you starting with good mornings first?
Thank you!

[quote]parrao79 wrote:
Hi CT,
Thank you![/quote]

Start with the weakest movement and end with the strongest. Someone who is stronger on front squats than goodmornings should start with the weaker of the two (goodmorning)…if you are weaker on front squats, start with front squat.

Thanks Coach! I appreciate your feedback.

[quote]parrao79 wrote:
Thanks Coach! I appreciate your feedback.[/quote]

In a mechanical drop set you always go from the weakest exercise to the strongest one.

Sorry - i’m going to revive a year old thread.

How would you recommend approaching this for someone using a garage gym consisting mostly of a squat rack/barbell and a GHR?

The first three mechanical drop sets listed are easily done.

However the hamstring drop set is not, is there a way to achieve the mechanical drop sets on a GHR?

Same for leg extensions - is there a mechanical drop set that can be done with out machines?
Sissy hack squats with toes in, neutral, and out?

• Glute ham raise
  • single leg back extension
  • back extension

lunges short steps, lunges long steps, DB squats

sissy squat, slow air squat, squat iso hold against wall

If you’ll forgive me, what is that? Is it another name for a slow bodyweight squat or is it something different?