Growling at the Badger

I agree. If it’s only hanging out for a few hours, there’s no harm done. Plus hot dogs, sausage and other meats are delicious.

It must be frustrating the the weight is slower to come off.

1 Like

No running or soccer the last 2 weeks. but played last night. Calves felt great, but I’ve still got PT on Monday. I’m supposed to DL today but will go light to take it easy on my back.

1 Like

Sweet baby Jesus, 26 days have gone by. During that time, my hard drive took a shit so I built a new computer with my son (hence no updates). As a gear head, I definitely could see the attraction to being able to pick out every component. My goal was to minimize cost by keeping my existing case, power supply, RAM, and DVD drive. I replaced the stock Lenovo mobo with an open-box Asus P9D WS for $75, replaced the Xeon chip with an Intel i7-4790, replaced the 500G rotational drive with a 1TB SSD, and swapped out the two old Nvidia Quadro cards for a Geforce GTX 960 GPU.

My computer boots up in a matter of seconds, my emails get sent with alacrity, I can keep 2 browsers open each with 20+ tabs while streaming youtube and working on Excel, all while running Plants vs. Zombies 2 at 75 fps.

My training has taken a detour as I’ve now been in PT for 3 weeks. I have bilateral tendinopathies in my Achilles, immobile heels, and forefoot supinatus on the right side. Or, in English, my heels hurt and my forefoot is rigid. My PT has focused on retraining my glute meds to activate rather than my QL, mobilizing my heels, progressively loading my Achilles tendons, mobilizing my forefoot, and lots and lots of balance training to strengthen my peroneals. I only add all this in case it resonates with anyone reading this wall of text.

Recapping my goal, I wanted to run a sub 45 minute 10k on August 13 and pull 545 lbs later that day. Needless to say, that’s out the window as I’ve lost 5 weeks of training and am still not cleared to run. I was upset at first but this is really just an arbitrary deadline I placed on myself in order to generate a sense of urgency so I got over it quickly. My goals are still the same but with a lot of patience I think I can get there in a much less injury prone way.

My workouts the last month have consisted of more base-building but I’m looking forward to increasing weights and posting some of my PT work as well in the hope that it helps someone else with similar issues.

Glad to hear you’re not dead :slight_smile:

I haven’t posted for a while because my workouts consist of small movements with no-to-light weights. Certainly nothing worth writing home about. But for those who are rehab-minded, I thought I’d throw them up here.

Balance training:
Balance on one leg while juggling, wut 1 minute, 3x each leg.
Drinking birds, 3 x 15 each leg
Balancing on 1 leg on an unstable surface (tempurpedic pillow) for time.

Feet:
Rolling with a lax ball
Calcaneal (heel) mobs
Foot eversion banded walks

Hips:
Banded traction
Clam shells
Banded walks
Iso wall holds

Calves:
Eccentric lifts
Lax ball rolling

I do all the above every day to try and address my underactive glute meds, my lengthened and weak peroneals, and my forefoot varus (stiff midfoot).

No running, no soccer but I can lift so my focus will be bringing up my DL.

Today:
TBDL, wut 3 x 3 x 345
RDL 3 x 10 x 185
Reverse hypers 3 x 15
Loaded carriers focusing on my gait, specifically rolling off my big toe on my right foot, 115lbs in each hand 3 sets until my gait deteriorates.

Weight was at 200 this AM, the first time I was over 200 since early May I think. I had a client in town this week so every dinner was eaten out and featured copious amounts of meat and booze. I shouldn’t have too much trouble getting back down to the mid-190s but my goal of 185 is going to take some rededication on my part.

Workout started with 10 minutes of rowing then my usual battery of rehab stuff. I’m rearranging my workouts a bit to see what works.

Upper body:
Pin press: wut 3x 235, 3 x 245, 3 x 255
DB Seated OHP: 3 x 10 x 45, 50, 55
Seated rows 3 x 10
Curls 3 x 10

Misc rant.
Let me precede this by saying I hate feet. Can’t fucking stand them, I won’t sit at a table in a restaurant if someones feet are in my line of site.

My company instituted a relaxed dress code on Fridays during the summer. T-shirts and shorts are acceptable as are sandals and flip-flops. There are people who show up in flip-flops with the gnarliest fucking feet. Jesus H. Christ, no one wants to see your yellowed talons at the end of your corn-ridden hammer toes. How about clipping your nails and cleaning the shit out from behind your nails before showing up to work.

The upside is, it’s great for my eating regimen as I can’t stomach anything during work hours anyways.

At the other end of the spectrum are the people who think that long, painted toe nails are somehow attractive.

Somehow this is grosser than the yellow gnarled toes because it’s by design.

Corns though. I have one on my right baby toe that hurts like a bitch.

@yogi kick out the jams, indeed.

Saturday AM:

DB Seated Press 5 x 6 x 75
BP 3 x 15 x 165
Cable rows 3 x 10
mid trap stuff 3 x 15
curls 3 x 10

I walked into the gym today and for the first time I can remember there were more women there than men. It was pretty cool seeing 10-12 women all squatting and dead lifting.

1 Like

I love that the Kinks took the guitar riff from All Day and made it the bass riff of Destroyer.

Here’s my DL workouts for the next 16 weeks. My calculator allows me to set my desired PR 8 weeks into the program.

1 Like

This has been posted before but I recently watched it again and forgot how good it actually is.

Dead Lift Week 1.1
TBDL 3 x 3 x 375
SDL 3 x 10 x 185
Reverse Hypers 3 x 15 x 200
Farmer’s Walk 3 x 80 steps x 85lbs per hand

I’ve got this song on repeat right now. If anyone is interested in guitar, check out how the guitarist makes the sitar sound during the chorus.

Weight is 198, I’m bumping cals up to 1,800 per day with the hope I can get stronger in the DL and hang out between 195 and 200 lbs.

Pin press: wut 5, 3 x 235
DB Seated Press 3 x 10 x 75
Laterals 3 x 10
Curls 3 x 10

Went to PT after the gym today. The good news is I have dorsiflexion, and my talus is gliding properly but I still have an immobile midfoot which is causing all my problems. So, I continue to whale away on my midfoot and heel which is also immobile.

I’ve been right at 1,800 cals a day until a little detour to Ruth’s Chris yesterday. One 16 oz ribeye, 3 sides, and two Manhatten’s later I decided to call it a day at 3,200 cals total. Ah well.

Real Madrid vs. MLS All Stars tomorrow.

Oh my God, I was like a 12 year old girl seeing Taylor Swift for the first time. I got to see Sergio Ramos and Marcelo…

A man after my own heart. I can’t believe you did it all for only 3,200.

I know, I’m actually having some success undereating throughout the day by standardizing me breakfast and lunch (5oz tuna or salmon and a protein shake) and then eating a normal dinner. Even if I have a second helping of something my overall cals aren’t too bad on the day.

Dead lift 1.2
TBDL 8 x 3 x 300
SDDL 3 x 10
Reverse hyper 3 x 10
Neutral grip lat pull downs 3 x 10
Cable rows 3 x 10

Worked out at work today.

Machine press 3 x 10
Machine OHP 3 x 10
Machine Rows 3 x 10
Rear flys (on a machine) 3 x 10
curlz
DB snatch 3 x 15 x 50lbs

Lots of machines, one set of DBs going up to 50lbs.

DL 2.1

TBDL 3 x 3 x 400
SLDL 3 x 10 x 225
Reverse Hypers 3 x 15
Farmers walks 3 x lots of steps

1 Like

Pin Press 3 x 5, 4, 3 x 225
OHDB Press 3 x 8 x 75
Lat pullover 3 x 12

Weight is 201, average cals is 1900 over the last 3 weeks. During that time, I’ve eaten out no less than 5 times and consumed 2 rib eyes, 2 bone-in rib eyes, one strip, numerous orders of creamed spinach, oysters, garlic and truffle mashed potatos, crab cakes, and no less than 18 Manhattans. Not too shabby.

The new Grizzly Bear is out and though I don’t particularly love this track, I think it’s amusing after all the heat Chris Bear, the drummer, took for the drum beat on “Two Weeks” for sounding like Gadd’s “50 Ways to Leave Your Lover”, that he’s managed to come even closer on “Four Cypresses”. I think the shuffle adds some nice rhythmic texture to songs that could otherwise be considered a bit boring.

Anyways…

Deadlift 2.2
TBDL 5 x 5 x 325
SDL 3 x 10 x 205
Cable Rows 3 x 10
Neutral grip lat pulldowns 3 x 10
KB swings 5 sets of 20 swings/30 second rest x 45lb kb.

My soccer team won the league championship last night, without me having played the last 5 weeks… We made it to the finals twice before but lost. I’d like to think it’s not me but whatevs.