Growing Up Fat and Ugly

[quote]Power Tower wrote:
Along with many others, this past weekend I headed homeward for (Real) Thanksgiving and into the inviting arms and supportive criticism of my loving family.

Upon meeting my dad at my uncle’s house, the conversation quickly shifts as he inquires about my gaining of weight. As I proudly announce my 10lb gain, he turns to me with a look of disgust and says “Man, you’re gonna grow up to be fat and ugly…” Needless to say, I quickly informed my father that he would continue to get old and weak, and I would be big and strong, proceeding to lift up my shirt and stick out my stomach as far as possible, patting it for him.

Then, shortly after I expressed my intrest in transitioning to geared lifting, he began to rant about how gear does all the lifting and hes “All natural BABY!” Needless to say I had a good laugh about that as he continued to bash my goals in life.

Although I am used to these remarks from him and most of my family, it got me thinking how directly insulting that statement is. I certainly don’t have many friends who’s dads call them fat and ugly.
I’m sure many of you are used to recieving and brushing off such remarks but is it actually that straight foreward?[/quote]

Your father is a big, fat, ugly players hater masturbater!

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Also why the hell would you be surprised at a negative reaction from your dad about your interest in taking anabolic steroids? [/quote]

“geared lifting” = lifting with the use of supportive equipment, IE bench shirt, squat suit, knee wraps, etc.[/quote]

Ah.

the “All natural baby” reply threw me off. Never heard of someone using a bench shirt being referred to as a non-natural

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Also why the hell would you be surprised at a negative reaction from your dad about your interest in taking anabolic steroids? [/quote]

“geared lifting” = lifting with the use of supportive equipment, IE bench shirt, squat suit, knee wraps, etc.[/quote]

Ah.

the “All natural baby” reply threw me off. Never heard of someone using a bench shirt being referred to as a non-natural[/quote]

You will when you see a really tight one put on a fat guy.

OP, I wouldn’t discuss your lifting goals with your family. My family and co-workers are very supportive but I still don’t bring it up much because the minutiae that fascinates me, bores everyone else.

Regarding being called fat and ugly, I’d have to hear the context and tone. Guys are sometimes shit heads to each other but they’re goofing around. I could say that to my brother and he’d know I was teasing or just giving him a hard time, not trying to be hurtful.

[quote]gregron wrote:
With all due respect, your dad sounds like an asshole.

When I know I’m around people who don’t necessarily share the same goals/passions as me I refrain from talking too much about them cause it’s just pointless.[/quote]

Yep, your Dad is a dick, BUT he’d have to work really hard for a lot of years to be half the dick my father (or ex. father rather) is. I could get over being hateful and insulting…

Wow, yeah we use to and still throw the “Jokes” around at the dinner table but Its never everyone picking on one person. Its never personal…Well not personal for family I should say…But it sounds like you and pops have issues.

[quote]four60 wrote:
Wow, yeah we use to and still throw the “Jokes” around at the dinner table but Its never everyone picking on one person. Its never personal…Well not personal for family I should say…But it sounds like you and pops have issues.[/quote]

Its kinda 2-faced. Sometimes we get along great, and then the other half of the time he changes lanes and rips on me for whatever (these days its lifting)

Challenge him to see who can bench more. When he refuses, commence to berate and call him a big pussy. If he ever brings up the fat subject again, reply with “at least I’m not a scared little prepubescent she-man oozing with estrogen from the planet vagitampax”, then follow-up with a nice firm bitch slap. Then do the Curly shuffle out of the room.

Along with many others, this past weekend I headed homeward for (Real) Thanksgiving and into the inviting arms and supportive criticism of my loving family.

Upon meeting my dad at my uncle’s house, the conversation quickly shifts as he inquires about my gaining of weight. As I proudly announce my 10lb gain, he turns to me with a look of disgust and says “Man, you’re gonna grow up to be fat and ugly…” Needless to say, I quickly informed my father that he would continue to get old and weak, and I would be big and strong, proceeding to lift up my shirt and stick out my stomach as far as possible, patting it for him.

Then, shortly after I expressed my intrest in transitioning to geared lifting, he began to rant about how gear does all the lifting and hes “All natural BABY!” Needless to say I had a good laugh about that as he continued to bash my goals in life.

Although I am used to these remarks from him and most of my family, it got me thinking how directly insulting that statement is. I certainly don’t have many friends who’s dads call them fat and ugly.
I’m sure many of you are used to recieving and brushing off such remarks but is it actually that straight foreward?[/quote]

You’re looking for acceptance. Are you training for yourself or your family?

Btw there are a lot of butt hurt old men out there that hate being reminded that they are physically inferior to a young buck.

[quote]Captnoblivious wrote:

You’re looking for acceptance. Are you training for yourself or your family?

Btw there are a lot of butt hurt old men out there that hate being reminded that they are physically inferior to a young buck.
[/quote]

^ I must admit the above statement is true. I have a large family and some of my nephews are now coming around mid to late 20’s and like to test the older guys.

Its all in fun but I notice I no longer feel like letting them win to make them happy anymore. hahahahaha. Its going to happen one day…just not today.

You and your pops do sound like you have issues though.

LOL. I get zero support in the weight lifting department from my parents. I try to avoid the topic as much as possible. I have had other family members make quite a few negative comments about weight lifting and bodybuilding.

I don’t know if it is generational or what, but many people still seem to see all of this as a waste of time. The average person over 35 is out of shape and getting worse by the year. They see that as normal. The guy not going down the same road is seen as odd.

That is why you find out what you want in life and try to surround yourself with people who will (emotionally and physically) help you get there. The more time you spend around people degrading what you are passionate about, the less time you have to enjoy whatever short life you have been given.

HOWEVER, I will say this…most of the guys here spend a shit load of time in the gym and reading articles for not much return. A friend, parent or other who points this out is not hating. It is no different than telling the woman on American Idol who sounds like a dying cat that she can’t sing.

She can’t.

Why lie?

Likewise, if all you talk about is weight lifting and how much weight you gained when you still look “normal”, don’t be surprised at the response.

In fact, if you have to mention it at all for them to point it out, you already fucked up.

This reminds me of that article by Matt Kroc, “The confidence Switch”:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_confidence_switch&cr=

I would say that if you grew up and have lived your life with nothing but positive reinforcement you are NOT the norm. It isn’t always parents that tear down goals/dreams but these people are everywhere in life. I personally don’t tell people I have goals and keep things simple like, “trying to lift more”, “on a diet.” Maybe this is just me but I couldn’t give a sh*t about my none lifting friends point of view on nutrition or lifting.

This. Maybe you’re always on this topic. A few weeks ago I asked my son how and ugly kid like him made the homecoming court and his pretty twin sister didn’t . Hint, he’s a good looking kid so he knew I was trading him.

Make sure you’re not boring people or little mr sensitive .

[quote]Professor X wrote:
LOL. I get zero support in the weight lifting department from my parents. I try to avoid the topic as much as possible. I have had other family members make quite a few negative comments about weight lifting and bodybuilding.

I don’t know if it is generational or what, but many people still seem to see all of this as a waste of time. The average person over 35 is out of shape and getting worse by the year. They see that as normal. The guy not going down the same road is seen as odd.

That is why you find out what you want in life and try to surround yourself with people who will (emotionally and physically) help you get there. The more time you spend around people degrading what you are passionate about, the less time you have to enjoy whatever short life you have been given.

HOWEVER, I will say this…most of the guys here spend a shit load of time in the gym and reading articles for not much return. A friend, parent or other who points this out is not hating. It is no different than telling the woman on American Idol who sounds like a dying cat that she can’t sing.

She can’t.

Why lie?

Likewise, if all you talk about is weight lifting and how much weight you gained when you still look “normal”, don’t be surprised at the response.

In fact, if you have to mention it at all for them to point it out, you already fucked up.[/quote]

[quote]JLone wrote:
This reminds me of that article by Matt Kroc, “The confidence Switch”:
http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/the_confidence_switch&cr=

I would say that if you grew up and have lived your life with nothing but positive reinforcement you are NOT the norm. It isn’t always parents that tear down goals/dreams but these people are everywhere in life. I personally don’t tell people I have goals and keep things simple like, “trying to lift more”, “on a diet.” Maybe this is just me but I couldn’t give a sh*t about my none lifting friends point of view on nutrition or lifting.
[/quote]

That’s a good way to look at it.

I get mixed feelings about my lifting from my parents. My mom doesn’t particularly like it. She tells me I should stop lifting weights and only do cardio because I’m getting to big for my clothes and doesn’t listen at all when I tell her that I have a passion for this. I enjoy getting stronger and challenging my body but she just thinks its stupid and has told me on several occasions.

My dad tends to be more supportive and happy with the fact that I lift. I feel like its probably because his brother used to be a powerlifter and my dad himself is a pretty active guy. He can be pretty blunt at times with me though. He’s told me as I leave for workouts sometimes to make sure I get in some cardio cuz I’m looking a little too round. Also if he catches me cheating on a diet at all he will openly bust my balls about it (which isnt necessarily a bad thing to help stay on track)

I not only grew up fat and ugly but am now staying fat and ugly.

[quote]Charlie Horse wrote:
I never get this kind of criticism from my family, of course they also know how easily my feelings can be hurt so it’s possible they are treating me “delicately”.

I recommending crying uncontrollably whenever anyone criticizes you. [/quote]

The thought of you crying turns me on. :slight_smile:

[quote]Nards wrote:
I not only grew up fat and ugly but am now staying fat and ugly.[/quote]

I think you’re handsome. That’s a word nobody uses anymore.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

I think you’re handsome. That’s a word nobody uses anymore.[/quote]

definitely not when referring to Nards

:slight_smile:

[quote]lewhitehurst wrote:

[quote]Charlie Horse wrote:
I never get this kind of criticism from my family, of course they also know how easily my feelings can be hurt so it’s possible they are treating me “delicately”.

I recommending crying uncontrollably whenever anyone criticizes you. [/quote]

The thought of you crying turns me on. :)[/quote]

Eek!
0_0

Kinky! I think.
Or just mean? :frowning:

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

I think you’re handsome. That’s a word nobody uses anymore.[/quote]

I always wondered… what the hell does it mean when someone calls a woman handsome? It almost sounds like a backhanded compliment.