T Nation

Growing Taller

I’ve heard many rumors about growing taller. Drink more milk, eat certain vegetables. Sleep more. Don’t do heavy lifting.

I’m 17 years old, and I am 5 ft 7 inches tall. I haven’t really grown much in the past 2 years (at most 1-2 inches), but I am hoping to get a huge growth spurt that will hopefully get me to at least 6 ft.

I’ve heard rumors about ways to grow taller. People say to drink lots of milk because of the calcium. But couldn’t you just take calcium supplements? I’ve also heard (and seen on TV) that spinach (Popeye) and other vegetables help you grow. Furthermore, I’ve heard that sleeping more helps you grow (and I’m pretty sure it’s true based on how my friends grow so much during the summer when they can sleep alot more). I’ve also heard that lifting heavy weights can prevent you from growing because of all the stress it puts on your muscles and bones. However, I have no idea what’s true and what’s false.

Does anyone have any “theories” or ideas of how I can possibly grow taller? Are there any supplements or products I can take (legal) that can result in growth?
And are any of the rumors that I’ve heard true?

/bump

any ideas??

You wont grow to 6. Sorry bud, it won’t happen. 5’9" maybe, not out of the question, but that’s about it. Drink milk, eat veggies, just have a balanced diet. Your max height is genetically predetermined, no supps, no anything will take you above that height. Once you hit puberty, which you already have, your epiphysial bone plates (the ends or your bones) will fuse and become permenant, ceasing any elongating growth. Your bones can still grow thicker and stronger, which will be promoted by lifting, but that’s it for growing any taller.

I don’t like calcium supps at all. I think they are alot more dangerous than people realize. Eat some yogurt, drink lots of milk, and you’ll be doing all that you can. If you ingest too much extra calcium, your body wont use it all, and if it doesn’t deal with it properly, extracellular levels will rise, which has devastating effects on your CNS. Neve cells depolarize easier because of excess calcium, then can not repolarize as effectively because calcium concentration gradients are all out of whack, causeing hyperexcitability, which is not good. Leads to muscle weakness, as cells can not repolarize in time to contract again.

So i just gotta hope that i got my dad’s genes for height :-/

You’ve got a chance at getting over 5’10". I know quite a few people who have grown 2 to 4 inches once they were in college, which means they were 18, 19, even 20 years old. Some people stop growing later than others, just like everything in life, everybodys different.

You’ve got to hang from the swingset in your backyard in order to grow. Hey, it worked for Bobby Brady…

Anythings possible, never tell someone sorry buddy its not going to happen. It is mostly genetic, but sometimes these things come from different generations. I know friends who got their height from their great grandfather or grandfather and their parents are short. Dennis Rodman was 5’11 his senior year in high school, and grew to be 6’8 (yes he had good genes) but ya never know, just think positive. If you dont ever reach 6 feet then be thankful you are 5’9 some people would kill to have that height. Just like I would kill to be a mesomorph…LOL But drinking milk and taking a multivitamin everyday wont hurt. Far as lifting,as long as your lifting safely you shouldnt worry about growth plates being damaged…so be careful with things such as heavy powerlifts and use good form.

Give it time, growth in males can continue up to 20 years of age.

Some children get Human Growth Hormone (HGH) injections. But at your age I don’t know if that’s plausible. From what I understand, the proces takes years to work. Not to mention the treatment costs $10,000 - $40,000 just to grow 1 to 3 inches.

Some adults who want to grow taller undergo cosmetic leg lengthening. This process is even more ridiculous. The surgery runs anywhere from $40,000 - $70,000. It’s very painful and usually requires the patient to be in a wheelchair for six months or more.

If I were you, I’d just keep hoping that you’re not done growing.

Oh, and don’t waste your money on any lotions or pills that promise to make you taller. They’re all a rip-off.

Yeah, I’m thinking of doing the leg lengthening thing. With the new process, I don’t believe you have to use a wheelchair.

I wouldn’t say that you have to go out of your way to sleep, just don’t UNDERsleep. As far as nutrition, eat healthy and just try to ensure that you have no deficiencies.

I’m the runt of my family at 5’11" (my father being 6’3", brother 6’4", uncle 6’1", grandfather 6’0", etc.). I started lifting weights at age 15 or so (maybe younger). Although I never went very heavy, I feel there’s a chance this may have contributed to my (relatively) disappointing height. One of the reasons I suspect this is that my legs and arms are abnormally long for my body (or you could say that my torso is abnormally short). I have hands as large and arms as long as my brother’s (who is 6’4"), as well as size 13 feet. Sure I’m just one person, and this is purely anecdotal, but I would recommend waiting until you’re 21 or 22 before beginning a serious weight-training routine. Until then, I’d say you’re better off doing bodyweight exercises and calisthenics just to be safe. I know if I had it to do over again, that’s what I would do.

Would u recommend going light on all exercises or just ones like squats that may affect your legs?

I wanna increase my bench and start going heavy there, but I’m not sure if that would stunt my growth