T Nation

Grow! Whey Experiences

So I had my wife try the V-Diet using Metabolic Drive Low-Carb, like it says, but she would get through 3 1-scoop servings, and the 4th would be a struggle not to vomit. She likes the taste and texture(big deals for her foodwise), but she just would not be hungry after the second shake.

My thought is due to her slow metabolism, the casein just takes too long to digest, and that is what is holding her back.

My thought is to have her try the same diet again using a pure whey supp, but I had some questions. I have never used the Grow! Whey, but any other pure whey powders I have used before tasted like shit, so I know she wouldn’t be able to choke them down.

Has anyone used the Grow! Whey, and what was your opinion? Does it taste as good as the Metabolic Drive Low-Carb, or not? I personally don’t care for the Metabolic Drive (too rich and can’t stand the artificial sweetener aftertaste), but she likes it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I like Grow! Whey just fine. I think it is quite good.

Christopher

I personally like Grow! Whey shakes better than Metabolic Drive. However, Grow! Whey isn’t what your wife needs on the V-Diet.

I know how the diet is supposed to work, but the MD is just too slow for her. I am just spitballing for a solution, and thought that a quicker protein(whey) might solve her problem. Is that why you said it wasn’t what she needs, or was there another reason?

I’d consider letting her try some protein digesting enzymes, and possibly something like betaine HCL. Also, which on a high protein diet, be sure she is getting enough Vitamin A from supplemental sources. I remember reading some study(ies) about how diets as protein as the main source of nutrition depleting vitamin A or something like that. This is all I could find right now: http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/reprint/82/1/139.pdf

I like Grow! Whey. It tasted okay, it shipped on time, and it never made me gag or die from my intestines out or anything.

I like Metabolic Drive Low-Carb too though. Moreso, actually, it’s just more expensive.

If your wife’s digestion is so slow she can’t eat enough on the V-Diet… I’m wondering why she needs the V-Diet in the first place.

The one problem I had with Grow! Whey (and I had this with Metabolic Drive too) was that it gave me horrendous gas. That was pretty much it.

[quote]boatguy wrote:
I know how the diet is supposed to work, but the MD is just too slow for her. I am just spitballing for a solution, and thought that a quicker protein(whey) might solve her problem. Is that why you said it wasn’t what she needs, or was there another reason?[/quote]

I know someone who tried it with 100% whey and he gave up in less than 24 hours. I have successfully used the Velocity Diet twice for cutting and was very pleased with the results. The blended protein is important for many reasons. Using 100% whey would lead to most people being super hungry and not willing to stick with it.

Maybe you could try a mixed approach? Whey during the day and MD at night before bed? Of course you could try the 100% whey for a day or so and see how she responds. She might feel the same way as with the MD. It may be less about actually being full and more about the thought of having to drink yet another shake. As someone who has done it two times for 28 days straight I can attest it was harder for me mentally than physically.

Christopher