Grow Up in a Family Where People Worked Out?

I was thinking the other day; we hear so much about fat parents raising fat kids, but we never hear stories about families that are in great shape and help their kids live a healthier life. Anyone come from a family like this?

My dad bounced around for a while deciding what he wanted to be. First he wanted to be a runner, then he decided since he liked squatting so much he’d just be a bodybuilder of some type. He could never pick a routine & stick to it for more than a few weeks, and his gains were limited, but for his size he was strong.

We were dirt poor when I was young, and as such a gym membership was out of the question. But my dad got a weight set, bench, and rack from friends/yard sales. He then built a cable machine in our basement. He threaded the cable through holes he drilled in the support beams of the basement rafters, then through a system of pulleys used the plates he had bought as the weight stack, tied to the cable hanging down. My mom hated it (she called it the Bozoflex),the house would shake when he would use it and our cats would scream. But looking back it was fairly ingenious.

On my mom’s part, she gradually gained weight until I was about 10 years old, and decided that she needed to lose some weight. She stopped drinking soda, cut out what little junk food she was eating, and started walking 3 miles per day, every day, and dropped one pound per week for over a year until she was back down to the weight she was before I was born.

In retrospect I’m really glad I came from a family like this. I was never fed junk food, never once drank soda, juicy juice or any of that horse-shit. I can’t even sip that shit now without wanting to vomit. Plus I always got plenty of fruits & veggies, and lean cuts of meat. Anyway, I never said thanks to them for any of this, until now. I just wanted to post something positive since all we hear in the media is about how awful families feed their kids now a days, and the sedentary environment they’re raised in. To this day my dad still always asks about my progress in the gym, and always makes sure I still squat or deadlift regularly.

Yeah, kind of. My family has a tradition of wrestling that goes back several generations, so it was encouraged that we (me and 3 brothers) do the same and do it well. Lifting weights was just a natural course of events to improve strength and conditioning.

We were also always outdoors engaged in some physical forms of play. Whether it was swimming, bike jumping, making Tarzan swings and jumping in to creeks and lakes or climbing trees, it always turned into a competitive event.

We were also dirt poor, so most of the food was just very basic, well prepared, but inexpensive.

My dad was drunk all the time.

Mom just hated all three of her kids.

So I’m an angry drunk.

I did. My Father’s side of the family has had an ‘active’ lifestyle for generations. My Great Aunt Sue, who I’ve written about in another thread has hiked/climbed just about every trail/mountain on the planet (in her 90’s and still going strong). Her son, my cousin once removed, was an all american laccross player and still runs marathons in his mid- 60’s. My Grandfather played football in college (he was a BIG sumbitch - 6’4", 280) My Father, in his 60’s now, played foot ball and lacrosse in college and still to this day has a power rack in his basement and uses it. Both my cousins on my dad’s side played college football. One of my cousins on my Mom’s side was a Navy SEAL, but he got killed…I could keep going and going. In HS I lettered in football, wrestling and lacrosse, while my little brother lettered in gymnastics and cross-country running. I also played rugby for ten years ending up at a D1/Super League level.

My mother was a dancer (not that kind, you fuckers!) Ballet and Jazz mostly, and is pretty hawt for a 65 year old woman. She exercises regularly in the gym and has been a “health nut” for as long as I remember. She has done yoga for like 40 years or so. She’s a GILF, lol.

We are all avid sailors and get together every year at my Aunt’s home just north of Annapolis on the Severn River and spend the fourth of July holiday sailing as a family. I’m not talking about a “leisurely sail” either, we try to keep the rail in the water!

So yeah, I’d say my family is pretty active!

pfft my family lives a horrible lifestyle.

both parents are pack a day smokers who eat donuts and junk food for breakfast, and don’t sit down to eat again until dinner which comes from a box.

at 12 my sister weighs as much as i did at 16.

moving out was the best thing that ever happened to my health.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:

both parents are pack a day smokers who eat donuts and junk food for breakfast, and don’t sit down to eat again until dinner which comes from a box.

moving out was the best thing that ever happened to my health.[/quote]

What does your family think of your lifestyle, now, Worm?

[quote]imhungry wrote:

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:

moving out was the best thing that ever happened to my health.[/quote]

What does your family think of your lifestyle, now, Worm?[/quote]

they make fun of me. it’s bizarre, i know.

more importantly, what was it like being raised by tigers?

Lord,No. Im 1st Generation here in America. They didnt have time working out with growing opium and the whole “Dodging-commie bullets” thing.

My dad got cancer when I was ten and started chemo etc so my parents were gone alot going to boston (i live in western ma about 2 hours away) and he was in the hospital so my brothers and I ended up cooking for ourselves.naturally we ate tons of crap like pizza etc and even though I was very active playing outside all the time I still gained a lot of weight.

I also have asthma (not overweight exercise caused asthma. So I was and stil am a fat fucker lol. But Im still a natural athlete and love playing sports and hiking etc, I just eat a shit ton.