Grow Up Country Music

[quote]stevejungman wrote:
What makes any celebrity…musician,actor/actress or otherwise think that anyone gives a fat flying fartsicle what their opinion is? If you act or sing, stick to that and keep your mouth shut. We are paying(too much) for entertainment,not political opinion.[/quote]

Wow. So actors and musicians are not allowed to express themselves. Just because nobody cares what their opinion is doesn’t mean they can’t express one. Most people at T-Nation probably don’t care what my opinion is, but they allow me to express it one this websight. So, again, please tell me who is allowed (in your world) to express themselves?

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Because some radio stations refuse to play the Dixie Chicks this is somehow unpatriotic?

Radio stations are under no obligation to play anything.

If the listeners say they don’t want to hear the Dixie Chicks the stations won’t play them. Big deal.

[/quote]

I haven’t been following that close this time, but in 2003 when the Dixie Chicks spoke out about Bush the anti-Dixie Chick protests were organized by the radio stations. I do not believe this is appropriate. Responding to listeners is good yes, even if it involves temporarily not playing a band.

But for media to actively organize rallies to burn/smash CDs is wrong .

Call me an idealist but I prefer media to communicate events to the public and not create the events.

[quote]Max wrote:
No history lessons here, people can look this up on their own, but this must be said.
…Our fore fathers are rolling over in there graves, this is not what they intended for this country.

[/quote]

Fore fathers like John Adams?

[quote]Max wrote:
No history lessons here, people can look this up on their own, but this must be said.

While their hearts are in the right place, the people bashing the Dixie Chicks just don’t get it. Our fore fathers are rolling over in there graves, this is not what they intended for this country. Just take a high school history class and you’ll see this is not what they established. No one stops to think that maybe the true patriots are the ones with the “opposing” viewpoints and they just want this to be the great and free country it used to be.
[/quote]

What are you talking about?

The Dixie Chicks are having their say. They are not being censored.

People that disagree with them just don’t want to listen to their crappy music.

The founding fathers would not care.

[quote]nolecat wrote:
Wow. So actors and musicians are not allowed to express themselves. Just because nobody cares what their opinion is doesn’t mean they can’t express one. Most people at T-Nation probably don’t care what my opinion is, but they allow me to express it one this websight. So, again, please tell me who is allowed (in your world) to express themselves?
[/quote]

As was stated earlier the actors/singers in question have the right to express their opinion, just as i have the right not to listen or express my view. Freedom of speach does not mean freedom from personal responsibility if someone doesn’t like what you say.

The origional purpose of the 1st Amendment was to protect decenters against the government from retaliation BY the government. In it’s origional form the 1st Amendment was not meant to protect the right to piss in a jar with a crucifix in it.

This all being said, it’s more a matter of celebrities using the “Bully Pulpit” rather than expressing their views. The Dixies and Cloony going on TV or radio saying “I don’t like X” or “I’m ashamed of being an American” are attempts at publicity and looking cool for their Liberal Hollywood friends, not to actualy change anything.

If Hollywood/Music wanted to change anything they could take a lesson from Serge Tankinen (System of a Down) and Dave Morello (Audioslave/Rage against the Machine). They work on the grassroot level to organize and inform people on their causes.

Unless the celebrities act on their beliefs their protestations agains President Bush are nothing more than bids in a popularity contest.

La’
Redsol1

[quote]doogie wrote:
Max wrote:
…Our fore fathers are rolling over in there graves, this is not what they intended for this country.

Fore fathers like John Adams?

[/quote]

I never did like that Adams quack.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:

Call me an idealist but I prefer media to communicate events to the public and not create the events.
[/quote]

You ARE an idealist.

Shit like this happens all the time. It doesn’t make it right but that is the way it is.

The Dixie Chicks are a corporation expressing their political views.

The radio station is also a corporation expressing it’s political views.

The listeners express their political views.

Why would it be OK for the Dixie Chicks and not OK for the radio station?

I don’t put country music stations in the same category as news media.

They are primarily about generating ratings and entertaining listeners.

That is exactly what they are doing.

I too am disturbed when the news media plays the same game but of course they do.

Ruggerlife wrote:

You ARE an idealist.

Shit like this happens all the time. It doesn’t make it right but that is the way it is.

Why would it be OK for the Dixie Chicks and not OK for the radio station?

I don’t put country music stations in the same category as news media.

They are primarily about generating ratings and entertaining listeners.

That is exactly what they are doing.

I too am disturbed when the news media plays the same game but of course they do.[/quote]

I 2nd this. Dixie Chicks can say what they want and the radio stations can choose not to play it if they dont want to, so whats not democratic?

I don’t like country music. I think it, like rap, barely qualifies as music.

I don’t like the Dixie Chicks. I don’t like their music.

But I do recognize their right to free speech.

What I don’t care for is the timing. We haven’t heard anything from them for several years and then all of the sudden, BAM… Time for another album and tour, lets drum up some free publicity. Let’s beat a dead horse, beat the same drum, fill in your own metaphor. All in the name of self promotion. Classless.

If the listeners say they don’t want to hear the Dixie Chicks the stations won’t play them. Big deal.
[/quote]

I don’t think radio stations polled the listeners to see what they wanted… wouldn’t it be the listeners that could turn off the radio or refuse to buy their albums?

Sure, the radio stations can play or not play what they want, but don’t act like the are representing their listeners interests when they do so.

[quote]nolecat wrote:
I could care less about the Dixie Chicks…but I think it is funny how country music stations are refusing to play their new album because of DC’s anti Bush remarks. Country music and country music fans have always taken pride in their patriotism and love for the USA. Yet, when someone expresses an oppossing opinion (a basic patriotic right), especially a liberal opinion, country music will send you into exile and ban your music. That doesn’t sound very patriotic to me. I do wish country music would evolve. [/quote]

Why don’t you care less then?

[quote]vroom wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

I don’t think radio stations polled the listeners to see what they wanted… wouldn’t it be the listeners that could turn off the radio or refuse to buy their albums?

Sure, the radio stations can play or not play what they want, but don’t act like the are representing their listeners interests when they do so.[/quote]

I am sure thye do not take a scientific poll of their listeners but they listen to the people tat call in to complain and they track ratings.

If the listeners wanted the Dixie Chicks they would get them.

As some one astutely noted this looks like a publicity stunt.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Sure, the radio stations can play or not play what they want, but don’t act like the are representing their listeners interests when they do so.[/quote]

Come on now vroom,

noone is suggesting the purpose of not playing the Dixie Shits is in their listeners interests, but for you to say the listener can then turn off their station…

AhhhDahhhh…How do the stations stay in business. Listeners and ad revenue. If they feel a backlash is present, they do what they feel is best in their interest. Let’s keep the conversation reasonable.

That I do agree with. My biggest complaint about the Dixie Chicks was that they somewhat coward away from their “anti” remarks, then attempted to do a little spin control, then just vanished.

And yes, radio stations do have the right not to play certain music. Perhaps I shouldn’t fault the stations. Their opinions only concern ratings and not so much political positions. If it gets listeners, they’ll play it…if it doesn’t then they won’t.

Maybe its just the whole mainstream country music business. It’s view are so tightly regulated and controlled. I know it’s traditionally represented the conservative working class…but I really thought several years back that country music was opening up, widening its appeal. The image of the singer had changed (just look at the female singers), but the business seems so opposed to any content outside of being proud to be a redneck, loving your grandma, and god-blessing the troops!

Maybe I should care less. Having a wife from Texas, I really wanted to like country…guess I’ll just stick with Tom Waits!

Ruggerlife wrote:

You ARE an idealist.[/quote]

I’m actually more of a realist (whatever the hell that is), but it tends to set the bar a little too low far too often so I compare things to how I think they should be. I don’t actually expect it.

[quote]Shit like this happens all the time. It doesn’t make it right but that is the way it is.

Why would it be OK for the Dixie Chicks and not OK for the radio station?[/quote]

One difference would be is that the Dixie Chicks are a “product”, media is not. Although back to my previous comment many try to give the preception of media, but are infact more tabloid/product.

You hold news media, specifically 24 hours TV stations in more regard than I. :slight_smile:

[quote]They are primarily about generating ratings and entertaining listeners.

That is exactly what they are doing.[/quote]

On this we are in full agreement.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:

Merle Hagard has a new single in wich he advocates pulling out of Iraq, but you wont hear it on your FM Cuntry* Station.

*Not a typo.[/quote]

I’m not a fan of country, but I know Merle Haggard is a badass motherfucker. I’d like to hear the song…although there aren’t any country stations in North Jersey so its not going to happen (I’m thankful for this).

[quote]dukefan4ever wrote:

What I don’t care for is the timing. We haven’t heard anything from them for several years and then all of the sudden, BAM… Time for another album and tour, lets drum up some free publicity. Let’s beat a dead horse, beat the same drum, fill in your own metaphor. All in the name of self promotion. Classless.[/quote]

What exactly do you think the entertainment industry is? I don’t give a crap about the Dixie Chicks, but every band everywhere does this kind of thing…its not just them.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
dukefan4ever wrote:

What I don’t care for is the timing. We haven’t heard anything from them for several years and then all of the sudden, BAM… Time for another album and tour, lets drum up some free publicity. Let’s beat a dead horse, beat the same drum, fill in your own metaphor. All in the name of self promotion. Classless.

What exactly do you think the entertainment industry is? I don’t give a crap about the Dixie Chicks, but every band everywhere does this kind of thing…its not just them.[/quote]

Incorrect. Name me another group who criticized the president, apologize for their remarks, and then as soon as they need to publicize their cd, recant their apology. Again, classless.

The Dixie Chicks are the most successful female musical group ever.

They have sold 30+ million albums and will sell millions more.

Who cares?

“As some one astutely noted this looks like a publicity stunt.”

Bingo. It’s #1 on Amazon.com and hasn’t even been released yet.