Ground-based strength training

OK everyone! It’s been a while since I’ve posted, but I could use a whole bunch of help. I would like to know if anyone can point me in the direction of a good website or source about ground-based strength training. I realize that this is more like a generic term that Hammer Strength coined. I am giving a presentation on this topic and I’m coming up with nothing. Any and all respones that come come in a quick and timely fashion would be greatly appreciated.

I assume that you are referring to the training of athletes or the general development of “functional strength” via this method. My understanding of ground-based training is that all (or most) exercises are performed in a standing or otherwise unsupported position. Using that assumption, I’m going to write a few notes:
1.)This usually means that ground-based training would center around free weights, adjustable pulleys or specifically designed machines (Hammer strength Jammer for example - an excellent machine). These implements (along with medicine balls and bands) allow for resistance training while unsupported.
2.) It would be beneficial to utilize different stances and body orientations when performing ground-based training in order to reap the most benefits in terms of the plasticity of the strength gained. For example, using a split stance, wide stance, or one-footed stance to execute strength moves.
3.) The ground does not necessarily need to be flat and even (read: stable) - thus, implements such as balance boards and stability balls can be utilized.
4.) The upper extremities can be used as the contact between ground and body. For example performing plyometric pushups or handstand pushups. (The same rules apply for modifying base of support and width/variation of hand placement).
5.) Strength moves can be performed while travelling (moving through space) when performing ground based training which may enhance crossover to sports/functional activities. This freedom of movement is something that is eliminated with the use of conventional strength training machines.
There are a few other considerations, but these are the ones I usually focus on when designing programs for my athletes. I truly believe that athletes should perform as much work as possible in variations of standing, crouching, walking et cetera to maximize crossover to their sport as well as capitalize on the enhancement of structural resiliency. (sorry about the last sentence - what I meant was that this type of training will make the whole body stronger and tougher simply because of the increased demands on the postural and torso musculature). Good Luck.

Thanks Cam. That is very helpful indeed. If you know of any place on the internet where I can get more of the same please let me know. Thanks again!