T Nation

Groin Pull During Squat

I have injured my groin and left inner thigh while squatting beltless wide stance .I felt I did some stupid stuff ,anyway,mymain concern is : Will I be able to squat and break new PR’s same as before ? how long would it take me to fully recover ? it has been 4 weeks since I injured my groin , I almost didn’t squat since then I only do some jefferson squat half reps with light weights and some light leg presses to stimulate blood flow in the area and some romanian deads with 60-80% RM of my regular deadlift . now my inner thigh looks better but still not comfortable when doing some activities like jogging or jumping and feel that stabbing feeling when trying to do loaded rkc planks so I gave up planks for the time being … will I get back to break records in squat and deadlift ???help please

Give it 4-8 weeks. Your squat will be fine… guys come back from broken backs to set PRs

Probably, if you manage this right.

Depends on the type of injury and grade. Can be anything from a few weeks for a minor strain to requiring surgical intervention and months of rehab for a rupture. Generally soft tissue injuries take around about 6 weeks (often earlier for minor injuries tho) for early healing at which stage you should gradually return to activity. After six weeks your tissue will gradually adapt to the demands placed upon it i.e. return to full strength.

How you manage your injury will determine whether you come back stronger than before or end up suffering from constant pain and re injury in future. If you’re lucky a “leave it alone for a bit and try again in a few weeks” approach may work tho it’s a risk I wouldn’t take or recommend anyone else take. Rehab properly and come back in less time, stronger and with lower risk of re injury.

Rehab usually split up into stages:

Phase 1 - Injury Protection: Pain Relief & Control Inflammation
You’re probably past this phase already time line wise so you won’t get the benefits of early management. Some principles still apply tho e.g. not subjecting the injury to inappropriate/excessive loading for the stage of healing you are at and recognizing when some discomfort/pain is ok e.g. during stretching exercises and not ok and thus should be avoided e.g. jogging/jumping.

Phase 2: Regain Full Range of Motion
This is probably where you are at. It’s a terrible idea to completely avoid full ROM squats for 6+ weeks. As your tissue is healing and remodeling it can easily become stiff and shortened if left to its own devices. By the time you come back to Squatting you’ll descend to depth and re injure yourself due to the massive stretch placed the tight/stiff structures.

Best case scenario is that you are currently able to do full ROM body weight squats in your chosen stance. If you do them at least twice a day say…3x10 full ROM then you’ll be good for this phase. If you are unable to achieve full ROM without pain do not push into the pain. Holding onto something e.g. a squat rack or furniture may give you the support/confidence to ease lower.

If you are not at a stage where you can do BW Squats then look up groin and adductor stretches on google/YouTube and do these consistently with the above dosages. As for the BW squats do not push into pain there is no benefit to this and you may overstretch and re injure your tissues.

Phase 3: Restore Muscle Strength

This can be as simple and specific to Squatting or as complex and holistic as you wish, the one absolute is to gradually increase loading or return to activity. You see this mistake in professional sportsmen often who want to/are under pressure to return to play e.g. Gareth Bale re injuring his calf during El Clasico having barely lasted a half of football.

Some choose to simply Squat. Full ROM, clean, smooth, controlled reps. Start with the bar and gradually up the weight. Remember your tissues are still healing technically and this is like conditioning them to the loads and giving them time to adapt and fully regain strength. You can’t really go too slow in working your way back up. This works well enough for many people.

A more complex approach where contributing factors e.g. muscular imbalances, weaknesses etc. to the original injury and targeted interventions to address this is something you’ll need the help of a physical therapist/physio or other qualified health professional to sort out.

Good Luck

My problem is that I am not sure when I realise am able to start squatting ? what is the indication that tells me I am ready to squat again?shall I quit squatting 8 weeks or what ?

Talk to a pro - you don’t want to put yourself out for another 8 weeks or more because you listened to someone you know nothing about.

Just my .02, I pulled my hip flexor earlier this year and couldn’t squat for a month or so. I just did high handle trap bar deads instead and emphasized staying upright to “squat” the weight more, and mixed this with low box step ups, front squat holds and high partials, and a TON of posterior work. My squat didn’t decline and get perfectly fine when I returned.

That’s fine thanks bro and yes I already regain a full range of motion . How about having my left thigh wrapped with something like knee wraps to support my inner thigh during the phase where am to start squatting again with light weights and gradually up the weights
I think I will start this after 6 weeks of injury hopefully I regain 100% by the end of this year ?

Nah. Will do fuck all for you.

If you want some proprioceptive/tactile feedback compression shorts/leggings will provide that. If you’d like to restrict depth or prevent excessive depth use a box or safety pins.

If you can do a couple of dozen bodyweight squats in the same style as you back squat pain free and to full depth then probably try out just the barbell soon as you feel ready.

Take it slow and take ur as long as you need to regain 100%. End of year is probably realistic but monitor as you go e.g. if you feel pain or a “bad” stretch you are pushing too hard/fast.