T Nation

Groin Pain While Squatting

I’ve neglected squatting alot and I’ve recently started doing 5x5 twice a week in a madcow style split. The linear progression is great and I already feel alot more confident in my technique.

However my groin ALWAYS strains/hurts when I squat. This is especially more noticable in the ligher sets ramping utpo the top set of 5 or 3 depends on the day.

I tried narrowing my stance a bit but that hasn’t helped. Any tips/ideas?

(Also not sure if this is relevent but I go past parallel if not ATG, am 6"3 and 20 year old).

Appreciated

Warm up better or longer. Sadly mine only stops hurting once I start my work sets and even then requires a lot of stretching of hip flexors.

Just reading around a bit could this be a mobility issue? Maybe try some foam rolling etc?

What does your warm up look like? Do you just jump right into squatting or do you do mobility / pre-hab work before you get under the bar? If you jump right into squatting start to do some warm up work. If you already to warm up add in some more pre-hab exercises like triangle terror and 90/90 groin and glute hold. Those should help, if they don’t you may need to go see someone about it.

My groins started getting inflamed about a month ago from heavy squats. This is what I’ve been doing since and has helped tremendously and I don’t have an issue anymore:

1. Mike Robertson (sp?) mobility dvd - I picked up 3 different swings (lateral, front-to-back, hands swings to opposing legs) and do 3 sets of 8-10 as a warmup every time I have a lower day
  2. Couple of basic static stretches for groin and hamstring as warmup
  3. On off days – foam roll the shit out of my groin, hams, quads and roll on a lax/tennis ball
  4. Go to mobilitywod.com and search for hips/groin stretches - he has tons of good traction stuff with bands I do these as recovery workouts on off days and boy it feels great!

Hope this helps.

[quote]mlekava000 wrote:
My groins started getting inflamed about a month ago from heavy squats. This is what I’ve been doing since and has helped tremendously and I don’t have an issue anymore:

1. Mike Robertson (sp?) mobility dvd - I picked up 3 different swings (lateral, front-to-back, hands swings to opposing legs) and do 3 sets of 8-10 as a warmup every time I have a lower day
  2. Couple of basic static stretches for groin and hamstring as warmup
  3. On off days – foam roll the shit out of my groin, hams, quads and roll on a lax/tennis ball
  4. Go to mobilitywod.com and search for hips/groin stretches - he has tons of good traction stuff with bands I do these as recovery workouts on off days and boy it feels great!

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Thanks man. Appreciated

This happened to me when I was doing Starting Strength IIRC. I started doing a quick 5 minute warmup on the elliptical and that seemed to help.

maybe get a set of squat briefs? They will help the ol hips from feeling beat up while squatting. If you wear briefs without a belt they keep everything nice and tight but don’t give huge carryover. If you belt up and do get loads over carryover then you just have to do a set or two more for accessory work to make up for the lesser hip usage while using the briefs.

Yeah you are only 20 but guess what. you don’t stay 20 ha. Trust me when I say that when you are older and still kicking ass in the gym no one will give a fuck if you were raw or not… besides gym lifts don’t count for shit anyways right?? lol do what you gotta do to stay in the game for as long as possible… the fact is no one cares what you USED to lift… food for thought.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
maybe get a set of squat briefs? They will help the ol hips from feeling beat up while squatting. If you wear briefs without a belt they keep everything nice and tight but don’t give huge carryover. If you belt up and do get loads over carryover then you just have to do a set or two more for accessory work to make up for the lesser hip usage while using the briefs.

Yeah you are only 20 but guess what. you don’t stay 20 ha. Trust me when I say that when you are older and still kicking ass in the gym no one will give a fuck if you were raw or not… besides gym lifts don’t count for shit anyways right?? lol do what you gotta do to stay in the game for as long as possible… the fact is no one cares what you USED to lift… food for thought.[/quote]

care to explain the belt vs un-belted thing ?

not sure I understand why briefs would provide more support with a belt versus no belt .

[quote]marlboroman wrote:

Yeah you are only 20 but guess what. you don’t stay 20 ha. Trust me when I say that when you are older and still kicking ass in the gym no one will give a fuck if you were raw or not… besides gym lifts don’t count for shit anyways right?? lol do what you gotta do to stay in the game for as long as possible… the fact is no one cares what you USED to lift… food for thought.[/quote]

not sure I understand why briefs would provide more support with a belt versus no belt .

[/quote]

sure, cause when they are unbelted they will more or less slide over your ass for each rep. They wont fall off but will allow you to move freely. When you belt up it holds them in place since the material doesn’t stretch all the energy you create when you squat is stored in the briefs, then it will assist you with the lift. I know I’m not articulating this well but it’s the best quick answer I can think of now. I have Metal pro briefs and an ACE Squatter. I can get waaaaay below parallel with them on without a belt. Throw a belt on and it takes weight to get to a box.

Have you ever squatted in briefs or a suit with the straps down?

[/quote]

sure, cause when they are unbelted they will more or less slide over your ass for each rep. They wont fall off but will allow you to move freely. When you belt up it holds them in place since the material doesn’t stretch all the energy you create when you squat is stored in the briefs, then it will assist you with the lift. I know I’m not articulating this well but it’s the best quick answer I can think of now. I have Metal pro briefs and an ACE Squatter. I can get waaaaay below parallel with them on without a belt. Throw a belt on and it takes weight to get to a box.

[/quote]

O.K…I get it . I’ve been using Inzer Groove briefs since I started squatting again after hernia fix #2 . reason for using them is mainly groin protection . after poking around a bit on the Inzer and EFS sites , I see that the Grooves dont have the upwardly extending front and back panels like the Inzer Predator or Metal designs . thats why I wasnt getting what you were saying about the belt . with the Groove’s the belt doesnt wrap around any part of the brief . with the Predator design , the belt does wrap around the brief …just like a suit with straps down .

so on a related note …how long should a brief be expected to be used before stretching ?

and thanks for the response/s

[/quote]

[/quote]

O.K…I get it . I’ve been using Inzer Groove briefs since I started squatting again after hernia fix #2 . reason for using them is mainly groin protection . after poking around a bit on the Inzer and EFS sites , I see that the Grooves dont have the upwardly extending front and back panels like the Inzer Predator or Metal designs . thats why I wasnt getting what you were saying about the belt . with the Groove’s the belt doesnt wrap around any part of the brief . with the Predator design , the belt does wrap around the brief …just like a suit with straps down .

so on a related note …how long should a brief be expected to be used before stretching ?

and thanks for the response/s[/quote]

My Ace Suit and Pro briefs are nearly the same as brand new. They have stretched almost zero since I bought them. I squat in the pro briefs almost weekly for the past 2 years. I have to put them on cold or they are a pain in the ass to get on with a pump. I would highly recommend the pro briefs. Easy to learn in. They keep a very natural feel to the weights and give good support. Since they are 2 ply they leave little to now marks on me either when I peel them off. My single ply briefs make me look like a crack whore who was beaten by Bobby Brown… wicked bite marks.

How long have you been squatting? I’ve helped a friend recently fix up his form, pushing his knees out and widening his stance a bit and he’s telling me his groin area is starting to hurt as well. I had the same issue but it later passed as I continued squatting. Also warming up thoroughly got rid of most of the pain as well.

And can anyone explain how the briefs affect your groove on the squat? I’ve never used a good pair of knee wraps or any briefs. Mark Bell has said on his power project many times to invest in a pair of briefs to save yourself in the long run but I’m assuming it’s kind of like a suit w/o the straps, am I correct?

[quote]Zerpp wrote:
How long have you been squatting? I’ve helped a friend recently fix up his form, pushing his knees out and widening his stance a bit and he’s telling me his groin area is starting to hurt as well. I had the same issue but it later passed as I continued squatting. Also warming up thoroughly got rid of most of the pain as well.

And can anyone explain how the briefs affect your groove on the squat? I’ve never used a good pair of knee wraps or any briefs. Mark Bell has said on his power project many times to invest in a pair of briefs to save yourself in the long run but I’m assuming it’s kind of like a suit w/o the straps, am I correct?[/quote]

yes you can buy a suit and use it straps down and then use straps if you want to. The ACE stuff works best if you just keep sitting back in to it. It will pull your knees in a bit if you don’t push out tho.Also if you don’t sit back in the ace and squat more downward the suit will fold you over. The pro briefs let me keep my natural squat form. Not extreme sit back and seem to work best with a wide stance and sit back a little too. Titan makes a centurion brief for narrow stance as well as a wide stance so if you tend to squat wide and use a regular stance brief you will get thrown out of your groove and vice versa. Another thing is when you belt up, you’ll get good carryover and will feel no where near as beat up. Get a pair of briefs with full legs, basically a suit bottom. don’t waste your time with those legless briefs… they suck. you won’t regret buying them. It’s one of those “I should have done this years ago” kind of thing.

[quote]Zerpp wrote:

And can anyone explain how the briefs affect your groove on the squat? I’ve never used a good pair of knee wraps or any briefs. Mark Bell has said on his power project many times to invest in a pair of briefs to save yourself in the long run but I’m assuming it’s kind of like a suit w/o the straps, am I correct?[/quote]

yes you can buy a suit and use it straps down and then use straps if you want to. The ACE stuff works best if you just keep sitting back in to it. It will pull your knees in a bit if you don’t push out tho.Also if you don’t sit back in the ace and squat more downward the suit will fold you over. The pro briefs let me keep my natural squat form. Not extreme sit back and seem to work best with a wide stance and sit back a little too. Titan makes a centurion brief for narrow stance as well as a wide stance so if you tend to squat wide and use a regular stance brief you will get thrown out of your groove and vice versa. Another thing is when you belt up, you’ll get good carryover and will feel no where near as beat up. Get a pair of briefs with full legs, basically a suit bottom. don’t waste your time with those legless briefs… they suck. you won’t regret buying them. It’s one of those “I should have done this years ago” kind of thing.
[/quote]

Ah, thanks for the info. I’m a go research a bit more on it and decide on which one to buy.

[quote]Zerpp wrote:

Not very long. Not consistenly with low reps anyway. And yeah I’ve started doing exactly as you said, pushing my knees out and sitting back more. Doing that also helps me go more ATG aswell.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I’m going to start more thorough warm ups with groin specific strethces / foam roller on rest days. If I don’t see an improvement I’ll look into the briefs suggested.

[quote]InTheCity wrote:

[quote]Zerpp wrote:

Not very long. Not consistenly with low reps anyway. And yeah I’ve started doing exactly as you said, pushing my knees out and sitting back more. Doing that also helps me go more ATG aswell.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I’m going to start more thorough warm ups with groin specific strethces / foam roller on rest days. If I don’t see an improvement I’ll look into the briefs suggested.[/quote]

Do you know what a pull thru is? those are great for warming up the ol hips and glutes/ hams.If you don’t have a low pulley do kettle bell swings. If you don’t have a kettle bell do like I do. Get a D handle and a piece of chain about a foot long and a steel caribiner. Run the chain thru some weight plates and attach to the D handle for a make shift kettle bell. I use 10’s cause I got a shit load of them and they are small.This works very well for the intended purpose.

Had this same issue for awhile when I got serious about my squat. This is what I did;

1. Sat in the squatted position for a few minutes a few times a day and forced my knees apart to open my hips/groin

2. Put 135 on the bar and got into a good position then I pushed out with my legs and sat down to a box just below parallel and sat there and relished in the pain for about 20 seconds a rep. This has opened me way up. The stretch under tension was the best thing I have done for squatting mobility for me. YMMV

3. Used Romanian deadlifts as a stretching exercise with 155-185 on the bar and really focused on the depth as was slow about achieving more depth. I still do this one to help with tight hammies as a result of way too much running in my past life.

Try holding onto something sturdy like a power rack and getting into a deep squat, pushing the knees out, arching the back hard, and sitting back as far as possible. Great pre squat mob.

I too have this problem. Agile 8 and static squat stretches (like those already suggested above) have helped me, but the pain is still there. I find that sitting long hours at work exacerbates the problem so I get up and take a few steps as often as possible.

A 10 minute cardio warmup (cycling or elliptical trainer) with moderate resistance has helped me before squat workouts. I then do some dynamic leg swings. Increasing the number of light warm up sets has also helped. The workouts now take more time, but squatting has been less painful.