T Nation

Groin/Ab Injury

Hi,

Im 35, male, lift weights and cycle. Due to improper form during squats, I have an inflamation in my abdom rect muscle where it attaches to the pubic bone. Ive had this same injury 4 years ago. The symptoms are tendernes above the area, and the muscles around the hip and glutes are tight. Like a constant dull ache. Last time this injury took almost 10 months to resolve. Its been 10 months now this time, and its still not healed.

My chiropractor has confirmed the injury with ultrasound imaging. Ive gotten a rehab programme to strenghten the surounding muscles, and some stretching.

Im interrested in getting a second opinion. Can it realy take so long time to heal? And why does the sirounding muscles get affected too? My chiro says it takes long to heale since the abs are in use all day, so the injury cant rest properly.

Any advice would be great. Sorry for bad grammar, english is not my native language.

I don’t think it’s taking a long time to heal because it’s being used all day. More likely you have some underlying dysfunction, perhaps in the pelvic floor, hips, or lumbar spine. If the muscle is constantly compensating for something else due to dysfunction it won’t be able to heal.

What does he have you doing for rehab work?

The rehab im doing right now is core strenghtening and stretching. Last time i had the injury i didnt do anything at all, it just eventually went away (after 10 months). I havent noticed any pain for about 4 years, then when i started up with squats again last spring it all came back.

[quote]matand7 wrote:
The rehab im doing right now is core strenghtening and stretching. Last time i had the injury i didnt do anything at all, it just eventually went away (after 10 months). I havent noticed any pain for about 4 years, then when i started up with squats again last spring it all came back.[/quote]

sounds like a sports hernia, id get a 2nd O

Would that show on an mri, because i had one. And that came out negative. Didnt see anything. Got sn ultrasound imaging done that showed inflamation on the rectus abdominis, where it attaches to the pubis bone.

[quote]matand7 wrote:
Would that show on an mri, because i had one. And that came out negative. Didnt see anything. Got sn ultrasound imaging done that showed inflamation on the rectus abdominis, where it attaches to the pubis bone. [/quote]

depends it could, but they have a special cut for MRI from a philly doc termed Meyers protocol which is the best for imaging sports hernia

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]matand7 wrote:
The rehab im doing right now is core strenghtening and stretching. Last time i had the injury i didnt do anything at all, it just eventually went away (after 10 months). I havent noticed any pain for about 4 years, then when i started up with squats again last spring it all came back.[/quote]

sounds like a sports hernia, id get a 2nd O[/quote]

^ I agree, definitely sounds like a sports hernia to me. I have had one…they can be recurring and quite frustrating. I have found that any time I return to squats after a layoff, I have to start VERY light and progress very slowly. I also have found that wearing a belt is a good preventative measure. If you are interested, I can give you more details of my experience and what I have done to recover since I have dealt with it on multiple occasions.

[quote]Headache wrote:

[quote]BHOLL wrote:

[quote]matand7 wrote:

sounds like a sports hernia, id get a 2nd O[/quote]

^ I agree, definitely sounds like a sports hernia to me. I have had one…they can be recurring and quite frustrating. I have found that any time I return to squats after a layoff, I have to start VERY light and progress very slowly. I also have found that wearing a belt is a good preventative measure. If you are interested, I can give you more details of my experience and what I have done to recover since I have dealt with it on multiple occasions.[/quote]

That would be great! Any advice to speed up recovery would be Perfect :slight_smile:

Hmm think i scewed up my last answer… is on the iphone. anyways, any adivice would be great Headache!

Could anyone help me contact Headache. My account cant send pm’s for some reason, been like that since i created it.