Grocery List

interesting. Im thinking whipping cream, lime, graham cracker, ice and vanilla whey in a blender in the morning. Key Lime Shake.

eggs, tuna, unflavored greek yogurt, baby spinach, mixed greens, milk, old fashioned rolled oats, bananas, berries (changes): strawberries, blueberries, or raspberries, walnuts, almonds, pecans, peanut butter

Here is mine

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, first year in college is next year and I’ve budgeted $50 per week for food so just thought I’d try and steal some ideas, keep em coming.[/quote]
It’s a recurring topic, so these threads might have other info you can mash together.

I’d offer my own shopping list, but it’s not all that different from most of what’s been said, plus I don’t think it exactly translates to your situation.

We end up shopping somewhere about once a week, but it’s bouncing between bulk places like BJs and Costco, regular supermarkets, and Whole Foods. Plus I’m a member of a local organic CSA farm, so I get a weekly basket of vegetables delivered as well.

I dont understand why eggs are classified as “dairy.”

You would think that dairy is milk and anything produced from milk.

Protein Sources

• 85/15 Ground Beef
  • Bag of Frozen Chicken Breasts
  • Salmon (when I have extra money. I’ll usually just use eat this as a fancier meal once every week or two)
  • Bulk Eye of Round steaks (they are pre-cut about 4.5 oz each)
  • Eggs. I typically go through about 200 eggs a month.
  • Sirloin steak (same as for the salmon above)
  • Whey Protein (ordered 10 lbs at a time online. 10 lbs last almost exactly 2 months).

Carbs

• Weight Control Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal
  • Quaker Quick Oats (I typically combine 1 packed of ^^ with the 1 cup of quick oats at breakfast. Make protein pancakes on occasion)
  • Ezekial Bread
  • Low Fat Poptarts (PWO)
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Vegetables (I’m pretty picky when it comes to veggies. About all I enjoy eating is spinach, tons of asparagus, tons of zucchini, tons of yellow squash)
  • Frozen Blueberries (bough in bulk. I have 1/2 cup in my oatmeal every morning)

Fats (eating sparingly; most of my fat intake comes naturally from eggs or meat)

• Avocados
  • EVOO
  • All Natural Organic Peanut Butter
  • Almonds

Misc

• Reduced Sugar Ketchup
  • Low Sugar Ketchup
  • Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper
  • 2.5 gallon water jugs. Usually go through one every 3-4 days
  • Salsa
  • Various other seasonings / marinade type items
  • Taco Seasoning (a must for seasoning alot of things, unless you’re watching your sodium)

The basic staples, which have nearly all been stated…

Protein:
5lbs chicken breasts
2 dozen cage free omega-3 eggs
A fillet of salmon or haddock
6-8 plain Chobani greek yogurts
1/2 g 2% milk
Whole fat cottage cheese (Cabot… Mmmmm)

Fats:
Eggs (above)
Bulk almonds or walnuts
Cashew butter
EVOO
Cheddar chz or blue chz

Carbs:
Old fashioned oats
Sweet potatoes
couple pints of blueberries
couple pints of strawberries
apples
sometimes bananas
Tomatos

Veggies:
2 lbs Broccoli
2 lbs brussel sprouts
bunch of asparagus
Organic spinach or kale
Green beans

Yup,

Everything has been stated. I’m on an AD type diet right now so I mostly go for fattier cuts like brisket which incidentally is brilliant in a slow-cooker, ground beef from chuck, eggs, salmon and pork chops.

Quick off-topic question to those of you that mentioned eye of round (not that I eat it while on AD): where I live now (Shanghai, China) this happens to be one of the cheapest lean cuts you can get but I have been absolutely incapable of cooking it in a way that doesn’t render it tough, chewy and dry as the Mohave.

I tried the following methods:

• Roasting in oven: if cooked rare its not dry but remains chewy
  • Slow-cooking: big no! the lack of fat makes it a bad candidate for slow cooking - chewy and dry as heck
  • Stir frying: unless you cut it in really tiny strips it’s still tough
  • Cut into 1/2 inch steaks and on the bbq… if cooked rare they are not dry but still very chewy

Does anyone have some good tips?

braise that shit mate. Braise it good.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
braise that shit mate. Braise it good.[/quote]

Isn’t slow cooking pretty much braising? (if you add some water to the pot)? Did this work for you? My attempts didn’t work and I suspect its because of the lack of fat in Eye of Round?

whole chickens
chuck roast
ground beef
flat iron/ribeye steaks when I want to indulge
Same goes for short ribs
Daisy 4% cottage cheese
pineapple spears(or other fruit like granny smith apples)
Eggs
Kerry Gold butter
carrots
leeks
onions
potatoes
Frozen bags of corn/broccoli/green beans/mixed veggies at Sam’s
rice

I usually make roast chicken with the first 4 veggies or same thing with chuck roast/short ribs. Pineapple with cottage cheese is pretty good too. What goes in ground beef varies like tomatoes, jalapenos and potatoes, steak usually with some frozen veggie with a starch. Would eat fish or greek yogurt more often if it wasn’t so expensive(I do like canned sardines and salmon but can’t stand canned tuna, 0% greek yogurt has the consistency of chalk as well).

If you got a meat probe you can try roasting it to medium rare(pull out of the oven at 128 let rest to 135 apprx) and slice it thinly across the grain(haven’t tried it) but I prefer fattier cuts usually.

[quote]winkel wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

Isn’t slow cooking pretty much braising? (if you add some water to the pot)? Did this work for you? My attempts didn’t work and I suspect its because of the lack of fat in Eye of Round?[/quote]

pretty much, you sear the meat then stick it in a pot with loads of liquid and veg. Should make any cut of meat tender if you do it right

3-4 dozen jumbo eggs
4 seasoned chicken quarters
2-3 lbs fresh Atlantic salmon
Brown rice
Potatoes
Frozen veggies of all kinds
Ezekiel bread
Natty pb
Turkey sausage
Some kind of lean steak (3 or 4)

There’s some incidental stuff that I’m forgetting, but thats the jist of it. Got cool with one of the guys in the seafood spot at my grocery store and he gives me a crazy deal. For example, I just got 4.5 lbs of salmon for a little over 14 bucks. It normally would’ve been about $40.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]winkel wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

Isn’t slow cooking pretty much braising? (if you add some water to the pot)? Did this work for you? My attempts didn’t work and I suspect its because of the lack of fat in Eye of Round?[/quote]

pretty much, you sear the meat then stick it in a pot with loads of liquid and veg. Should make any cut of meat tender if you do it right[/quote]

I’ll give it another shot then. It might just be that it’s not great quality eye of round they sell there…