Gripper PR

What are block weights? My grip is quite a weak point i’ve bought the number 1 and can’t even close it. Any suggestions to improve my hand strength. I believe it is the most important bodypart to improve as i am looking to get really strong and the hands probably have the smallest, weakest muscles in the chain. No straps i want real strength

[quote]big balls wrote:
What are block weights? My grip is quite a weak point i’ve bought the number 1 and can’t even close it. Any suggestions to improve my hand strength. I believe it is the most important bodypart to improve as i am looking to get really strong and the hands probably have the smallest, weakest muscles in the chain. No straps i want real strength[/quote]

Block weights are the ends of solid dumbbells. Buy a DB and cut out the handle and you have 2 block weights. the Blob is one side of a 100lbs York DB.

PGH

[quote]big balls wrote:
What are block weights? My grip is quite a weak point i’ve bought the number 1 and can’t even close it. Any suggestions to improve my hand strength. I believe it is the most important bodypart to improve as i am looking to get really strong and the hands probably have the smallest, weakest muscles in the chain. No straps i want real strength[/quote]

Block weights are the ends of solid dumbbells. Buy a DB and cut out the handle and you have 2 block weights. the Blob is one side of a 100lbs York DB.

PGH

Congrats man. I have quivered the #3 but not really closed it. Working with the two and a cut 2 helped my close a lot. I have bent a 60d as well and put a very slight kink in a grade 5 bolt. I havent bent in over a year and I kind of miss it, looking to bend a red. Once again congrats.

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
Hog Ear wrote:
I’m pumped, I no set closed the Ironmind #3 gripper! This gripper takes about 280lb of force to close. http://media.putfile.com/3-no-set-close

Nice. Even more impresssive with the no-set. Are you able to do it regularily enough to get certified. Would be nice to add to your Red Nail cert… [/quote]

I’d like to certify on the #3 this year. The newest Ironmind #3 cert rule says you have to credit card set a brand new right out of the package gripper, so it will be tough.

That’s balls. They should reimburse you for the brand new, right out of the package gripper if you’re able to close it, then.

[quote]Hog Ear wrote:
themonthofjun wrote:
I just started working the trainer. Did you train gripping 3x a week? What gripper did you start at and how long did it take to get to the #3?

I started with the #1 and #2, later on I got all the IM grippers. I train grip anywhere from 2-5x/week. Just be careful with grippers, they are fun to play with but can cause injury when overusing the heavy ones. While grippers are a good indicator of strength, they are not the best builders of strength. I you’re serious about developing brutal hand strength then concentrate on lifting block weights, sledgehammer levering (for wrists), and some form of reverse wrist curls (for the forearm extensors). [/quote]

what are block weights, and what is sledgehammer levering?

don’t waste your money on certifying, if you know you can do it why do you need some piece of paper to prove it?

what are block weights, and what is sledgehammer levering?

[/quote]

Here are some grip FAQ- www.gripboard.com/
index.php?showtopic=5420

Here’s another with plenty of pics of blockweights and sledge levering etc: http://www.gripfaq.com/Forearm_Strength_Exercises/#BLOCKWEIGHTEXER

[quote]djrobins wrote:
How much of a difference does the chalk make?[/quote]

I like to train grippers without chalk, then only use it when I’m going for a all out attempt- like in the video. Chalk soaks up sweat so your hand feels glued to the handles, give it a try.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
don’t waste your money on certifying, if you know you can do it why do you need some piece of paper to prove it?[/quote]

I look at it like doing a contest. There is a record of you achievement. It is not just a cock and bull store.

Look at a guy like Joe Kinney who had the strongest grip by far of anyone. And now he can’t do it do to injury. His legend will still live on.

Congrats, Hog. That was easy! No. 4 next? Ha ha.

Have you tried KTA or have you developed your own as most people (grip fans) do?

Dax

[quote]Hog Ear wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
Hog Ear wrote:
I’m pumped, I no set closed the Ironmind #3 gripper! This gripper takes about 280lb of force to close. http://media.putfile.com/3-no-set-close

Nice. Even more impresssive with the no-set. Are you able to do it regularily enough to get certified. Would be nice to add to your Red Nail cert…

I’d like to certify on the #3 this year. The newest Ironmind #3 cert rule says you have to credit card set a brand new right out of the package gripper, so it will be tough. [/quote]

And quite a few people aren’t too happy with the change. I don’t really think it’s the set that bugs them but the new gripper. No matter what they say, there will be differences between each #3. And yours is probably seasoned so it might be a huge difference when you go to cert.

On a slightly different note, have you worked your way up any of the Fat Bastard certs?

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
Congrats, Hog. That was easy! No. 4 next? Ha ha.

Have you tried KTA or have you developed your own as most people (grip fans) do?

Dax[/quote]

I have not done KTA, I don’t like high volume gripper work. But if you’re interested in overall hand strength get Lifting the Blob KTA 2. As I said before block weight work will probably help you close bigger grippers more than ANYTHING else, and less chance of injury IMO.

[quote]hueyOT wrote:
don’t waste your money on certifying, if you know you can do it why do you need some piece of paper to prove it?[/quote]

Because for me it would be cool to be on the same list as Magnus Samuelson, Jesse Marunde, John Brookfield, Richard Sorin, etc.

[quote]MrZsasz wrote:
Hog Ear wrote:
MrZsasz wrote:
Hog Ear wrote:

Nice. Even more impresssive with the no-set. Are you able to do it regularily enough to get certified. Would be nice to add to your Red Nail cert…

I’d like to certify on the #3 this year. The newest Ironmind #3 cert rule says you have to credit card set a brand new right out of the package gripper, so it will be tough.

And quite a few people aren’t too happy with the change. I don’t really think it’s the set that bugs them but the new gripper. No matter what they say, there will be differences between each #3. And yours is probably seasoned so it might be a huge difference when you go to cert.

On a slightly different note, have you worked your way up any of the Fat Bastard certs?

[/quote]

Yes, an unseasoned gripper tends to be tougher, so it’s going to be hard. I’m a certified Bastard for having bent the FBBC 7" stock. This stuff is harder than the IM Red Nail, but you can use leather wraps so it is less painful. Bending steel is a whole different animal, it’s been a wild and crazy experience.