Griping and some questions

Some may remember my post from a couple months ago titled “A request of the T-clan”.

Well, here it is over two months on, and no change. I haven’t squatted, deadlifted, run, or biked in that time. The knee is STILL problematic. I’m going to see some more experts in the next few weeks. In any case, I still suspect meniscus tear(s), even though the MRI done two months ago was negative. When walking, I often have a “clicking” sensation, which feels a lot like my knee is popping out of joint on every step. That in itself isn’t painful, but after a short time, I can feel swelling coming on, and get some “tingling” sensation in the left foot.

Here comes the questions:

• Is it possible that the MRI came up negative because the MRI was done without load? I’m wondering if there’s a one-sided tear that could open up under load, but when unloaded closes up and therefore doesn’t show up on MRI.

• Is exploratory surgery the only certain option? I was given the option to go ahead with arthroscopic surgery as a means to find anything that might be going on, with the caveat that they might STILL find nothing, and have to go through recovery for no reason.

Did you get ART. last time i checked ART cost 100 dollars and MRIs cost 2000 dollars. Just checking

Sorry to hear you’re still hurting, brider. It’s tough anytime, but even worse in the middle of the summer!

I’m no expert, but I did have one thought. Since the recovery time for arthroscopic surgery is so short, depending on what answers you get to your post, that might be a great option.

Dude, get the scope done… At least you’ll know for sure. Rehab is a bitch but it’s better than walking around consistently hurt and not knowing what is wrong…

my 2cents…

B.

I have not tried ART, though there is a practitioner (not certified through ART.com, but lists ART on his website) fairly close to me. I guess part of my frustration is that I have no answers, and time off doesn’t seem to be helping.

Exploratory sucks, but in my case, it was the best thing.

Your problem sounds a lot like mine, which turned out to be a piece of cartillage floating around. It was in such a spot that it would not show on X-rays or an MRI.

If they can’t find the problem, go with the surgery.

Even if you have to drive to get ART, is it not worth it to keep from having to undergo surgery? find a guy as close to you as possible and go.

Well are you getting better without knowing what’s going on? Remember GI Joe “knowing is half the battle”. Hehehe sorry brider I couldn’t resist. I would say it’s just something on the way to recovery. Good luck keep us posted. Ciao. :wink:

How do we find out about ART in a specific area? I’m very interested.

BRIDER: Get a medical opinion, not one from this bunch of well-meaning but uninformed gentlemen. Who are you going to sue if ART makes it worse? Goldberg? The chiropractor who made it worse?

Yes, the MRI is lacking in its ability to detect certain problems under load or function. There are other tests such as MRA (magnetic resonance anrthrography), etc that may help out, but I would suggest you consult an orthopedic surgeon. That’s easy for me to say in Canada where everything is free and if you want an MRI tomorrow, you just pay 500.00 (375.00 U.S. dollars) and get it done. However, having someone tug and tease this thing into an even worse joint or ligamental injury isn’t the answer.

Out of curiosity, are you on Glucosamine Sulphate?

Again, I implore you to not seek medical advice from any forum, and you are free to discard what I say as well. Just do your own due diligence when it comes to something as important as this.

Double D

BRIDER: Get a medical opinion, not one from this bunch of well-meaning but uninformed gentlemen. Who are you going to sue if ART makes it worse? Goldberg? The chiropractor who made it worse?

Yes, the MRI is lacking in its ability to detect certain problems under load or function. There are other tests such as MRA (magnetic resonance anrthrography), etc that may help out, but I would suggest you consult an orthopedic surgeon. That’s easy for me to say in Canada where everything is free and if you want an MRI tomorrow, you just pay 500.00 (375.00 U.S. dollars) and get it done. However, having someone tug and tease this thing into an even worse joint or ligamental injury isn’t the answer.

Again, I implore you to not seek medical advice from any forum, and you are free to discard what I say as well. Just do your own due diligence when it comes to something as important as this.

Double D

Gripping? Oh wait…forget it, I’m outta here. lol

BRIDER: Get a medical opinion, not one from this
bunch of well-meaning but uninformed gentlemen.
Who are you going to sue if ART makes it worse?
Goldberg? The chiropractor who made it worse?

Yes, the MRI is lacking in its ability to detect certain
                   problems under load or function. There are other
                   tests such as MRA (magnetic resonance
                   anrthrography), etc that may help out, but I would
                   suggest you consult an orthopedic surgeon. That's
                   easy for me to say in Canada where everything is
                   free and if you want an MRI tomorrow, you just pay
                   500.00 (375.00 U.S. dollars) and get it done.
                   However, having someone tug and tease this thing
                   into an even worse joint or ligamental injury isn't the
                   answer. 

Again, I implore you to not seek medical advice from
                   any forum, and you are free to discard what I say as
                   well. Just do your own due diligence when it comes to
                   something as important as this. 

Double D 

To TheSmileCreator:
Yes, I did consult with an orthopedic surgeon two months ago, and he had no answers. That’s why the MRI was done – at his request. Since it was inconclusive, his answer was a shrug of the shoulders and a suggestion to take some time off to lwt it heal on its own. When I asked what “some time” meant (as in a week? 3 months?), I just got a blank stare in response.

And as for asking “well-meaning but uninformed gentlemen,” I asked some generalities to hopefully get some opinions from some informed people (irondoc, DocT).

And I’ve been taking glucosamine hydrochloride for about 5 years consistently (1500mg/day in two doses).