Grip?

right now is the off season for wrestling and id like to get my grip strength up a little bit. i use those spring things for forearms and do wrist curls with a curl bar.

mainly what im getting at is that im 14 and trying to find ways to increase my grip? does anybody have any tips or anything positive they can share with me…thx colton

If you have any access to ‘thick bars’ train with them.

Try some farmer’s walks with dumbells and then progress to plates.

Keep your lifting straps in your gym bag.

Heavy deadlifts and the like - grab a heavy bar and hold onto it until you cannot anymore.

Also, try to thicken the bars using pvc or similar as this helps too.

[quote]akwrestler wrote:
right now is the off season for wrestling and id like to get my grip strength up a little bit. i use those spring things for forearms and do wrist curls with a curl bar.

mainly what im getting at is that im 14 and trying to find ways to increase my grip? does anybody have any tips or anything positive they can share with me…thx colton[/quote]

My coach put a lot of emphasis on trying to increase pull up numbers on the offseason. Naturally bringing this up would bring up your grip.

do everything you can to train with thick bars, wrapping towels etc. Do this and train as you would normally and you will be able to crush walnuts.

There is a good all around begginer grip program in the FAQ section at gripboard.com

[quote]Naphta wrote:
akwrestler wrote:

mainly what im getting at is that im 14 and trying to find ways to increase my grip? does anybody have any tips or anything positive they can share with me…thx colton

My coach put a lot of emphasis on trying to increase pull up numbers on the offseason. Naturally bringing this up would bring up your grip.

[/quote]

Towel pullups ftw

Romanian Deadlifts without a mixed grip. Reverse EZ Bar curls. Zottman Curls. I think that’s how it’s spelled. Have you tried just looking in the articles or searching “Grip Strength.” If you could do hangs or pull ups with a thick bar or a towel that would work. If your workout space permits the farmers walk even with normal non-fat-grip dumbbells is great for traps and grip.

For variety you should try plate pinching to see how long you can hold a stack of 5 or 10 lb plates together. That’s good for thumb strength.

The Snatch Grip Deadlift without straps is a good grip workout, is different than the stress on your grip that normal dead lifting puts on you, and is pretty much one of the beallendall lifts for anything you want to strengthen.

thanks for all the help…

I was talking to Matt Kroc about this at the EliteFTS seminar. His advice basically boiled down to “hold on to heavy shit as long as possible.” I have been trying to incorporate high-rep moves with heavy dumbells like dumbbell rows and lunges, my grip is definitely pretty fried by the end of the sets.

Also, when I do barbel shrugs, I do as many as I can and go as heavy as possible with double-overhand grip before switching to a mixed grip so I can work the traps harder.