Grip

Looking for information on the importance of a strong grip. I train for football and am always looking to improve my workout so that it carries over onto the field. How can grip training help me on the field?

I was looking at the IronMind website so I could get an idea into grip training. It says there’s crushing, pinching, supporting, and wrist/forearm. What exercises train these? Also, what about training the opposing extensors? It is important to train those as well to maintain balance correct? How do you train those?

I do a 3x/week full body routine. I already indirectly work my grip with a lot of compound exercises. Deads, straight-leg deads, db lunges, pull ups, rows…

Can a weak grip be a cause for failing to get a deadlift off the ground, or is a weak grip only a problem when you can’t hold the weight at lockout?

[quote]bigvook wrote:
Looking for information on the importance of a strong grip. I train for football and am always looking to improve my workout so that it carries over onto the field. How can grip training help me on the field?

I was looking at the IronMind website so I could get an idea into grip training. It says there’s crushing, pinching, supporting, and wrist/forearm. What exercises train these? Also, what about training the opposing extensors? It is important to train those as well to maintain balance correct? How do you train those?

I do a 3x/week full body routine. I already indirectly work my grip with a lot of compound exercises. Deads, straight-leg deads, db lunges, pull ups, rows…

Can a weak grip be a cause for failing to get a deadlift off the ground, or is a weak grip only a problem when you can’t hold the weight at lockout? [/quote]

Both.

Here’s a couple links to some articles on grip training:

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=184grip

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=462101

They should help you considerably. Good luck.

thanks for the info. i will do some experimenting!

[quote]bigvook wrote:
I was looking at the IronMind website so I could get an idea into grip training. It says there’s crushing, pinching, supporting, and wrist/forearm. What exercises train these? Also, what about training the opposing extensors? It is important to train those as well to maintain balance correct? How do you train those?[/quote]

First things first: go over to IronMind and order the grippers. The Trainer, the #1 and the #2 to start.

There is also an excellent book by John Brookfield called, The Mastery Of Hand Strength. It’’ give you lots of ideas on what to do for your grip. Good Luck!