Grip Variation in Negative Pull-ups?

Dr Darden
Would you say there would be a significant difference between the palms up grip and the neutral grip when it comes to chin-ups. The neutral grip is much more comfortable for me, but I don’t want to reduce bicep activation.

By the way you wrote it it’s not clear if you do or don’t want more bicep activation? It seems like palms facing you activates the bicep the most.
Scott

Sorry. I do want the stress more on biceps, but I feel much more comfortable with the neutral grip.

Just curious why you want more stress on the biceps. Seems like theres a zillion bicep exercises and chins seem to work the lats better? I can’t even do a chin any more so just wondering?
Scott

Dr. Darden,
What are your thoughts on using the neutral grip for negative chins? I find them much more comfortable to do, but I am curious as to whether they are as effective. Especially in the arm specialization programs.

A neutral grip is fine for negative-only chins. If you keep your elbows back, as you lower your body and lean forward, you’ll feel the effects immediately in both your arms and lats.

What do you mean by keeping them back?

Back like you are trying to pull the bar behind your head.

Got it. Thanks

Dr. Darden, I’ve always used neutral grip with different widths due to a nagging pain in the top of my forearm, tie into the elbow even, when supinating my hand/wrist. Any ideas on how to alleviate that pain so I can do supinated chins?

If you are having pain with a particular style of grip, maybe your body is telling you something? Have you tried doing pull ups with rings, or grips that can rotate? Then you can let your hands assume the most natural feeling position throughout the course of the movement.

I have not. I don’t have anything with a rotating grip but I could try rings at some point. A neutral grip feels best but I do end up with soreness quite a bit that I try to stretch a few times a day. I think the muscle has been consistently shortened and it’s a little junky if that makes sense.

A neutral grip feels best but I do end up with soreness quite a bit that I try to stretch a few times a day. I think the muscle has been consistently shortened and it’s a little junky if that makes sense.

== Scott ==
Please tell me more about how long and how many supplanted chins you’ve been doing. Has this pain been going on for years or just recently? I ask this because a supinated grip ( palms facing you) is the only way so far that I can get my chin over the bar. My chinning stand has two protruding bars which allows a neutral grip but I can’t get up using them. I think they are to far apart? I can’t even come close to the bar with palms facing away. Also please try to explain the shorting of the muscle that you said happens??