Grip Training

I wasnt sure where to put this.
While doing many lifts (rack deads, shrugs etc,)my grip fails long before i cant actually lift the weight. Basically ill get it up no problem but the bar will roll out of my hand.

Ive been doing plate pinchs and heavy dumbbell/bar holds for a few months, but i havent noticed any progress. If anyone has any suggestions on what methods I can do to improve my grip I would appreciate it.

Most people who have been training a while will always be able to shrug and rack pull more than their grip will hold, even using mixed grip or hook grip. I would think it odd if you couldn’t.

That said, you could try a few other things, eg farmers walks and finger rolls with a barbell (Get a barbell set up in the rack so that the rack is just below the end of your fingers with your fingers touching the bar. Pick the bar up with knuckles facing backward, then let the bar roll down to the tips of your fingers and pull it back up. If you are already reasonably strong in the grip, use about bodyweight. Aim to work up to 1 1/2 times bw.) The latter is a favourite of rockclimbers.

Good luck! If this still doesn’t work, there’s no shame in using straps.

Remember your grip is used in every thing you do.
Training grip specifically is one option. For holding power get a pair of heavy grippers (eg ironmind CoCs) and do low rep time holds during the day, every alternate day. Say, 2 reps but not to failure.

Another option is to ignore the grip and get straps.

Personally, I would get both and use the grippers to build my grip. The straps would be used to keep my grip from interfering with my workouts.

Incidently, some choose to stop at lifting a certain weight until the grip catches up and move up from there.

I had the same issue when I started to dead lift heavier. Especially with rack pulls. I immediately started using straps.

My grip strength never improved and my deadlift strength stopped improving after a few months.

Then I lost my straps, and never got around to buying new ones. At first my deadlifts were a little lower but then my forearms got stronger and I started lifting a lot more than what I could with straps. It took about 2 months.

My point is that you really have to increase your forearm strength else it will limit your potential back and arm strength. So don’t just start using straps.

I switched to an alternate grip with one hand supinated and one hand pronated. That enabled me to get more reps with higher weights and my grip strength went up fast.

thanks guys. I will get a set of grippers and use the finger roll that sharetrader recommended.

Ill update on how this goes. Thanks again.

Also Fat bar work like a 2-2.5 inch axle will really tax and bring the grip up. look for large wide odd heavy object and hold/lift for time etc

Phill

Just one other thing:

"

Today’s training tip comes from Chad Waterbury:

Finger Band Extensions

When it comes to grip training, the extensors are the most neglected variable. The body will limit absolute strength potential if the antagonist is weak in order to protect the joint. Therefore, train the extensors of the hand/wrist. Try this: Get a fat rubber band and place your fingers inside it. Spread your fingers as wide as possible without the rubber band rolling down your fingertips and then close them. This is also an excellent exercise for anyone with wrist or carpal tunnel problems! "

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=07-009-training

great article

If you’re not using it yet, start using chalk.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:

Finger Band Extensions

When it comes to grip training, the extensors are the most neglected variable. The body will limit absolute strength potential if the antagonist is weak in order to protect the joint. Therefore, train the extensors of the hand/wrist. Try this: Get a fat rubber band and place your fingers inside it. Spread your fingers as wide as possible without the rubber band rolling down your fingertips and then close them. This is also an excellent exercise for anyone with wrist or carpal tunnel problems! "[/quote]

Great point. I’m a guitar player and spend about 2-3 hours a day “training” my forearms and grip (practicing. I’m working towards a Bachelor of music). The same thing holds true for guitar as it does here: the extensors are the weakest link of the forearm. The better and more muscular they get the faster and stronger your fingers and grip are.

The rubber band idea is a good one. Try this as well: make a fist then “flick” your fingers outward from pinky to index on both hands. the key is to feel the fingers resist against the palm of the hand then snap out. Works wonders for a guitar technique called rasgueado, but also really works the extensors of the forearm. Just some thoughts.