T Nation

Grip Training

Usually I do grip trainging as an add on to my main workouts (M,W,F). Can i do these workout as an extra in later on in the day? Any thoughs/experances? My main Grip goal is to be able to use 250lbs per hand in the farmers walk.
Thanks in advance
Will42

You can do them at any point during the day.

Just make sure that you are training the grip properly for what you have in mind.

I think you can train the grip quite often, as long as you mix up the type you are doing. For farmers, lots of supporting grip. I often train grip separate from my main workout just to make sure that I give it some real effort. Think of blacksmiths or masons whose grip is trained constantly- strong as hell. Just my 2 cents.

I read that grip training is pretty CNS intensive. Any thoughts on this?

I think it might real hard on the CNS, just cause once someone asked me a simple question while I was working with my COC gripper and I just couldn’t think of the answer even though I knew I knew it and if I tried to speak I couldn’t close the gripper anymore I guess it was because I was focusing so hard on closeing it.

What kind of grip training do you do? It will affect the advice.

Good to hear another FW guy around. My favorite strongman event always

I usually just use my block buster for pintch grips and then i do some extendor work. But last week I started using the grip work out in john brookfeilds free grip book from ironmind.
Will42

[quote]Will42 wrote:
I usually just use my block buster for pintch grips and then i do some extendor work. But last week I started using the grip work out in john brookfeilds free grip book from ironmind.
Will42 [/quote]

Free book you say? Perchance is this still offered?

[quote]the MaxX wrote:
Will42 wrote:
Will42

Free book you say? Perchance is this still offered?[/quote]

I think you have to buy a Rolling Thunder or something. It didn’t come with my COCs.

John Brookflied provides a lot of free grip tips on the iron mind website.

I might not compare to the info in his book but some are very challenging.

Moe

The grip tip’s of the month are great, but the “book” I mentioned is a shows you how to use the various grip devices that ironmind has. It slso has routines for differnt sports which is pretty cool.
Will42

The gripboard has more information about grip training then you will find anywhere else.

Brookfields book is the Bible of grip training!