T Nation

Grip Strength?

Hey guys, I guess I’ll give a little background before I get to my question. I’m 37 and have been doing SL 5x5 since the beginning of February. I’m pretty happy with it, as I really haven’t lifted much with free weights since college. I’m relatively weak, I think, but that’s not important to me. I know I’ll get stronger in time. I hadn’t gotten stuck on any lifts until Wednesday when I couldn’t get all my reps on OHP at 125 lbs.

Anyway, Wednesday also had me dead lifting 245 lbs for 1x5. It wasn’t terribly heavy, but I felt like my grip was giving out before my strength. So my question, at long last, is this. What are some exercises or suggestions to use for developing more grip strength? I want to start working on this ASAP since the weights are only going to get heavier. Monday I’ll be DL ing 255 x 5.

Thanks in advance, and this site is awesome btw!

This was a thread that showed up a little while ago, I have a post there that I feel still stands here, but reading the entire thread (albeit short) is not a bad idea.

If you’re still doing Stronglifts, your grip will already be working fairly regularly due to the Barbell Rows and Deadlifts themselves, but it might be a good idea to slap on another exercise on days where your hands aren’t as taxed as they usually would be. Kroc Rows (there’s a link to them in the link i’ve posted) are among my favourite for grip strength, some relatively light sets that focus on very high reps would be ideal.

If for any reason you don’t have time to add in more exercises or you don’t want to stray too far from the basic program, even something as simple as holding your Deadlifts for longer at the top on the last few reps or wrapping a towel/tissue around the bar when you do Barbell Rows would help in your grip catching up to where it needs to be.

It might take a while for it to really be on par with your back strength, but you should see some fairly consistent improvements in no time at all after taking in some of these ideas. Happy hunting!

CT wrote a nice little post on improving grip strength recently: http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_thibaudeau/thibs_tip_rebuilding_your_grip_strength

It’s hard to say from what you wrote but it could also be that you’re a bit neurally fried if your grip is threatening to fail at 245 lbs. (which should be a manageable load). So if you’ve done a bunch of strength peaking recently you may actually need to back off a bit before biting into extra grip training.

More CT grip goodness here:

Thanks everyone!

kroc rows