Grip on the Deadlift

At what point should I switch from a double overhand grip to a baseball grip on the deadlift?
I’m at a measly 153 BW (5’6") and working at a weight of 5x5x195. I know my back and legs can handle more weight but my grips are really limiting how much I am pulling.

Would it be wiser to stay with a normal grip and slowly build my forearm strength up? Or switch to a baseball grip and get a better workout for my back? My gut instinct is to just tough it out and work on my grips but I’d like to hear from someone more experienced.

[quote]tenken wrote:
At what point should I switch from a double overhand grip to a baseball grip on the deadlift?
I’m at a measly 153 BW (5’6") and working at a weight of 5x5x195. I know my back and legs can handle more weight but my grips are really limiting how much I am pulling.

Would it be wiser to stay with a normal grip and slowly build my forearm strength up? Or switch to a baseball grip and get a better workout for my back? My gut instinct is to just tough it out and work on my grips but I’d like to hear from someone more experienced.[/quote]

I’m no expert on deadlifts by any means, but from what I gathered it is best to build up your grip strength and forearms by toughing it out- You should no longer have this problem after a couple months of training.

Of course, that’s just my take on it.

If your grip is the limiting factor switch to the alternate grip, it will be stronger. Also, invest in chalk.

Personally, I prefer the supinated grip(palms up) grip. I find that it has helped my shoulder health and upper back strength.

i dont think you should sacrifice your back/leg development for a little grip strength

do your warm ups with an overhand grip, and switch to a more powerful grip for your work sets

if youre worried about grip strength/forearm development, then do some grip work

and what Zagman said–chalk also helps when even the alternate grip starts to slip

Very true that the only way your grip is going to get better is to use it. I’d say use whatever grip you’re comfortable with until you just can’t hold on any more and then switch to some straps to make sure you’re still getting good work in for your back/legs/glutes. Some extra grip work would help too though on your other days.

I’m your double. Beginner. Same height and weight.

I used mixed grip after 225 (2 plates)

I only deadlift 315 for a single (3 plates).

Alright thanks for all the input. I guess what I’ll do now is get some chalk and take my overhand grip as far as it can go with that, then switch over to an alternate grip.
That’s pretty funny Spry, 225 is about my max for an overhand grip too. Don’t think I can handle 315 though lol.

[quote]bulldogtor wrote:
do your warm ups with an overhand grip, and switch to a more powerful grip for your work sets[/quote]

This.

Switch to the “baseball” mixed grip.

All the strong guys are doing it.

Really, your grip isn’t holding you back unless you’re missing deadlifts while using a mixed grip.

If your grip is weak, then train it separately. If it’s really holding you back, use straps. The Deadlift isn’t a grip exercise.

After Deadlifting with whichever method allows you to use the most weight possible you can do…

Strapless High-Rep (15+) Shrugs
Strapless High-Rep (15+) Dumbbell Rows
Reverse Curls
Hammer Curls
Anything with a Thick Bar
Captain of Crush Grippers
Timed Holds
Farmers Walks

Or any number of other exercises to build your grip for the Deadlift. Just one of these exercises done on your Deadlift day should be enough as long as you invest enough intensity into the exercise and constantly strive to break old PRs. High Rep stuff is usually best if it’s done for 1 set so you can break PRs regularly.

Excellent, that’s just what I needed Scott. I’ll try out some of those exercises this week, thanks.