Grip on Chest Press Machine?

Dr Darden,

Making a return to Nautilus equipment. Noticed two choices of grip on the chest press machine.

I’ve always used the pronated grip. Am I missing out on something re the straight grip? Any specific reason for using straight grip? Should I alter/shift between the grips for additional stimulus? Is it a remnant from older versions?

If I were to guess, I suppose the straight grip relieves the shoulders, thus isolating the pectoralis better…

Thankful for your advice/opinion based on your great experience!

The vertical grip does take some stress off the shoulder joint. I’m not sure it works the pecs any better, although I think it’s a better position to allow you to “squeeze” the pecs at the finish position. I’ve always coached any of our players or people I’ve trained that if you’ve ever had a shoulder issue, use the vertical grip on the chest press and the shoulder press. If you’ve never had an issue, use which ever one you like or feels better. But, if you switch from one grip to the other, you MUST change the seat height adjustment accordingly. The hands should always be in line with the lower chest. You should not use the same seat height for both handle grips. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Strengthmaster,

You seem to be well educated about training. Do you mind sharing with me your opinion regarding the number of days you recommend training? Do you do recommend full body or splits? Do you use the same rep range or different rep ranges? How many exercises do you recommend per workout? I have recently read about periodization, which makes sense to me, but I do not know if research supports it or not. I have always followed HIT, but I looking at alternatives for perspective. Thanks.

Steve

Steve,

I usually only post when it’s a question on equipment. Reason being, I think training oneself is a very personal endeavor. So many things can work, and so much depends on the individual (age, situation, demeanor, individual response to training, etc-etc-etc). I do consider myself a “student of the game” when it comes to training, more for strength training and it’s application to fitness and sports than bodybuilding. Yeah, I know most people consider it a sport. Is it? But I did follow it back in the Viator, Mentzer, Arnold days. So, I know something about then too. No more.

Since you asked, I’ll share my opinions. I am a H.I.T. guy. Tried other methods, most gave little in return. Thought I was training hard. Then I met Dr. Ken Leistner. This was back in my 20’s. Once I found out what Hard Training really was, I got more results in 3 months than I had in a year or more. I believe HIT can be 1 set, or 2, or even 3 sets. There are many ways it can be done. Most exercises I do are 1 all-out set. But like some others on here, I may do more sets with Dumbbells or Barbells. Pressing usually.

Number of days to train? Training hard, 2 or 3 days. Back in my 20’s and 30’s, it was 3.
2 days=Total body, 1day=Upper body only. I tried a 4-day split. I didn’t care for it. But, have nothing against it. Once again, personal. A 3 day split might work well for some. I prefer to hit the major muscles more than just once a week or so. Went down to twice a week (Total Body) in my 40’s and 50’s. Now at 62, I’ll train Total Body- 2 or 3 day recovery, then train Core, calves, and forearms-1day recovery, then Total Body again - 2 or 3 day recovery - repeat. Still getting some results that way.

REP ranges- change them every 4-5 weeks. Upper body=6-8, 8-10, 10-12, 12-15.
Lower body= 10-15, 15-20, 20-30. # of exercises= younger guys 10-15, older guys
6-10. Depends on what exercises you use and what equipment you have available.

Yes, periodization makes sense, but doesn’t fit everyone. I look at it simply as ‘Variety in Training’. Change your rep ranges, change exercises, techniques, or protocols. As far as Research, I ALWAYS take that with a grain of salt. Who did it? Do they have a reputation for doing credible research? How was the study supervised? Did someone train every subject? Or, did they just give some guys one protocol and some another and told to go do it? So many things can work (for a while). It’s up to you, training is a journey. Decide what fits you best, and if it’s giving you results. Obviously, there are alternatives to HIT. You can read articles, books, research studies and take advice from different sources. I believe I read Arthur Jones once said, “sometimes you just have to strap it on your back and take it down the runway to see if it flies”. Sorry for a long winded response. Best to you in your training.

2 Likes

Read 10 Dan John articles

1 Like

Thanks very much for your thoughtful and comprehensive response. I really appreciate it. Very helpful.

Thank you, I will.

Someone may have already said this but I was taught to think in these terms
Vertical grip emphasizes more tricep
Horizontal grip emphasizes more chest