T Nation

Grip Gives Out Before Back on DL

Hi all, Long time lurker first time poster!

My grip gives out before my back on deadlift or at least I think. The problem may be with my form as well due to the fact the deadlift is a relatively new excersise to me (Cleans were used when I played football just now transitioning to strength training hoping to power-lift) I have trouble getting the weight off the ground is there something that could help me with this portion of the lift?

Less weight?

Forklift?

learn the motion with less weight before you really go after it…

[quote]SFTS wrote:
Hi all, Long time lurker first time poster!

My grip gives out before my back on deadlift or at least I think. The problem may be with my form as well due to the fact the deadlift is a relatively new excersise to me (Cleans were used when I played football just now transitioning to strength training hoping to power-lift) I have trouble getting the weight off the ground is there something that could help me with this portion of the lift?[/quote]

Not sure anyone is helping you out here, brother…

Not to be sarcastic like the rest of the bunch, but I would HOPE your grip was weaker than your back and legs! Bigger muscles involved and they should be stronger.

Some folks on here might cry heretic if you use straps, or gloves, or hooks, or whatever…but if your goal is to work the muscles intended, I would say USE those tools. However, they are just that - don’t make them a crutch.

You have to work on your grip strength too. Grip strengtheners, rolled up towels, forearm curls, rope rollup dealies with plates on the end (can you tell that’s the technical name) all will help your grip.

I understand your point that you maybe don’t want to wait until your grip is strong enough to really blast your back with deadlifts, but it’s apparent that you need to catch your grip strength up in PARALLEL (not simultaneously) with your deadlifting goals.

That being said, crappy form isn’t going to help you at all. Behold the power of youtube - watch a LOT of videos…ask the other guys at the gym (if you belong to one).

Good luck.

Thanks. I guess it was kind of dumb of me to just equate the deadlift with the back. The answer was staring me in the face heh.

Simple answer, chalk.

I had the same problem when I started deadlifting but chalk fixed it instantly. I still use straps when doing reps because reps will tear up my hands.

You are using a mixed grip right?

I have the same problem, so i started using straps, and i’m throwing in direct forarm training 3 days a week in my program as well so my grip strength can catch up, but i just saw no point in having my back suffer from less than adequate workouts, just so my forearms could catch up.

[quote]joburnet wrote:
You are using a mixed grip right?[/quote]

Yes.

[quote]SFTS wrote:
Hi all, Long time lurker first time poster!

My grip gives out before my back on deadlift or at least I think. The problem may be with my form as well due to the fact the deadlift is a relatively new excersise to me (Cleans were used when I played football just now transitioning to strength training hoping to power-lift) I have trouble getting the weight off the ground is there something that could help me with this portion of the lift?[/quote]

grip strength is a common problem with many new to deadlifting. I would suggest doing rack holds for your grip- setup a bar in the rack so that you are only lifting it to lockout with a range of motion of a couple of inches. simply pick it up and hold it as long as you can. if possible, have someone time you and try to beat the last time. do a few sets of those each time you train. Also, i always hold my last rep on deadlifts for as long as i can. this simple thing has always kept my grip strength ahead of my deadlift max.

as for not being able to break it off the floor… that could be many things. your best bet would be to video it and post it here. then after seeing it I could give you better advice.

Things that helped my grip in order of effectiveness:

-pulling all warm up sets double overhand grip until i can’t hold on anymore
-farmers walks
-one hand holds on pullups bar
-hex holds…holding hex dumbell by the end.
-use fatter bar to dl than meet bar.
-kb dynamic swings and presses.

most forearm work did nada for me. Anything that is a static hold type thing worked. Grippers and rollers didn’t do much. Also keep you calluses trimmed back and don’t let skin pinch between bar and fingers, push your fingers down along bar to avoid pinching skin which makes your hand open.

good luck

have someone watch and dissect your dl…for me the grip was related to my back, my upper back would go loose, and following that my grip would go…make sure you use your whole body to grip the bar

by my earlier post, i meant that if you are new to pulling, make sure you learn the motion, because despite outward appearances, the first and second pull of a power clean and a deadlift can be very different motions…and if you are used to one, physically and mentally, it can cause troubles

Thanks for all the replies. I think I’m going to lighten the weight and just hit my form until I perfect it. If its one thing I cant stand its doing things with the wrong form. I’ll try to get a camera to post a video but I dont know how long that will take.

[quote]SFTS wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I think I’m going to lighten the weight and just hit my form until I perfect it. If its one thing I cant stand its doing things with the wrong form. I’ll try to get a camera to post a video but I dont know how long that will take. [/quote]

Good call, bro…and good luck!

Does grip width matter?

[quote]blazindave wrote:
Does grip width matter?[/quote]

on grip strength? a wide grip makes for a longer ROM which isn’t a good thing for lifting maximum weight. I like to have my arms as perpendicular to the ground as possible. this also takes stress off the shoulders.

I find snatch grip pulls way harder to hang onto. When I first started getting into deadlifting my grip would always struggle. The addition of chalk and LOTS OF DEADLIFTING means I can grip way more than I can pull now.

[quote
Some folks on here might cry heretic if you use straps, or gloves, or hooks, or whatever…but if your goal is to work the muscles intended, I would say USE those tools. However, they are just that - don’t make them a crutch.

[/quote]

Edited to help refine the point, rely on your existing grip strength in early sets and only use the straps when you REALLY have to on later sets. That way you get the compromise benefit of finishing the workout and still build grip strength.

CHALK!

I didn’t read that you are using it. Dry hands make a world of difference. Also, just keep lifting. DLs will make your grip crazy strong if you keep at it. I used to climb a lot and I thought I had strong grip then, DLs have made it sooooo much stronger.

Zydrunas Szavickas and Adrus Murumets both do bodyweight hangs for time to improve their grips.

Being much lighter bodyweight, I’ve incorporated weighted hangs to good effect to the extent that I can do a clean grip DL with 405, no hook grip. Not bragging, just trying to show they’re effective.