T Nation

Grip for Snatch-Width Deads

Can anyone tell me wether Snatch-grip deads should be done with straps or is a mixed grip OK?

I always hook mine until the pain gets too much, then switch to straps. Mixed grip seems a little odd on these.

I (reluctantly)use straps as otherwise the weight isn’t enough to benefit from (it appears).

Mixed grip just seems begging for some kind of injury…

Yeah, do them with straps. The mass you put on your legs and back will be reason enough to use straps for this movement. On that note, dont use straps on other exercises.

[quote]rrjc5488 wrote:
Yeah, do them with straps. The mass you put on your legs and back will be reason enough to use straps for this movement. On that note, dont use straps on other exercises.[/quote]

Agreed.

Straps are okay for this exercise. However, there are times when straps are good for other exercises too!

What kinds of poundages are you guys pulling on these? Also, how high is your platform? I’m subbing these in on CW’s TTT. I am on the 3rd and final week and did 225x3 for 6 sets on Monday, off a 12" rectangular box. I hate that my grip sucks so bad, but after the 1st two sets I had to use straps. Just curious about where others are on these.

I typically use regular or hook grip, I’ve never tried a mixed grip but I’m pretty sure that would be very awkward at that width.

Use straps when you need them, just don’t become overly dependent upon them.

[quote]MikeA. wrote:
What kinds of poundages are you guys pulling on these? Also, how high is your platform? I’m subbing these in on CW’s TTT. I am on the 3rd and final week and did 225x3 for 6 sets on Monday, off a 12" rectangular box. I hate that my grip sucks so bad, but after the 1st two sets I had to use straps. Just curious about where others are on these. [/quote]

I’ve only tried 225x5 for 3 sets off 2 45’s. It was the first time I tried this lift and the over-hand grip was the hard part. Also I would have liked my feet to be a little wider as they were at the edge of the plates. At first I didn’t think the weight was enough, but then later I felt a good deal of soreness in a wide patch of my upper back and hams.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.