Grip for One Arm DB Rows

[quote]wfifer wrote:
It’s not my primary back movement right now so I’m doing them without straps. My hand definitely slips down to the end of the DB on my left side. The DBs in my gym, like the barbells, are a bit thicker than they should be so it’s great for my grip, which needs serious work. [/quote]

Then why not do some grip specific stuff rather than diminish the potential focus on the back?

Not trying to be critical, sorry if I come off that way. I’m an obvious advocate for straps but even so I use them for three movements during the week tops.

[quote]forlife wrote:
I’ve resisted straps to this point, because I want to keep working my grip strength along with everything else. That said, the main purpose of DB rows is to work the back, so maybe I will surrender to the inevitable and go with straps.[/quote]

Once my strength surpassed my grip strength I started using straps. What I do now is use my grip with chalk until failure. Then I’ll throw in my straps after. That way I work my grip to failure and still hit my back at the end very good. Best of both worlds:D

Lets say your deadlift is stuck at 400 and grip is the factor, use straps to help you get to 450-500 and the come back to doing 400 raw. Hmm wonder if it will be easier to get after you add 50-100 lbs on your deadlift.

I’m no BBer, but work on your grip.

When I started getting serious with DB rows, I was struggling to hold onto 75’s for 10. In my peak, I was doing 110s for 20 in each hand. Your grip improves if you push it.

I just apply the chalk and keep working at it. Maybe work up to a set w/ 100+ till your grip fails, then drop the weight and do another set or 2 to failure. It’ll help your grip and at least get more work in.

farmers walk help just dont drop them on the grandpa sleeping on the yoga mat.

[quote]BradTGIF wrote:
wfifer wrote:
It’s not my primary back movement right now so I’m doing them without straps. My hand definitely slips down to the end of the DB on my left side. The DBs in my gym, like the barbells, are a bit thicker than they should be so it’s great for my grip, which needs serious work.

Then why not do some grip specific stuff rather than diminish the potential focus on the back?

Not trying to be critical, sorry if I come off that way. I’m an obvious advocate for straps but even so I use them for three movements during the week tops.[/quote]

If you look at my post history I’m clearly an advocate of straps. I see nothing wrong with using the DB row as a grip-specific movement. I’d probably be doing farmer’s walks with the same weight, only instead of just walking around with it I’m accelerating it.

Like I said, it’s not my primary back movement of the day, and I even do rack pulls the day before. My grip is what needs work, so I chose to bend the routine to my needs without changing any of the exercises.

[quote]kinein wrote:
straps…do exercises that emphasize a strong grip with both hands.

Thumbless pullups - with added weight if need be
Static holds - heavy loaded bb
Heavy shrugs ~ just anything where you hold a shit ton of weight, static work can help
Hell farmer walks with 100+ in each hand
forearm and grip work exercises ~ [/quote]

Are you saying you use straps for static holds? Why are you doing static holds if not to improve your grip?

[quote]B rocK wrote:
I guess that the use of straps would be more handy if you were more of a bodybuilder as opposed to a strongman or powerlifting competitor.

[/quote]

Yes and this is the BB forum…

[quote]forlife wrote:
I’ve resisted straps to this point, because I want to keep working my grip strength along with everything else. That said, the main purpose of DB rows is to work the back, so maybe I will surrender to the inevitable and go with straps.[/quote]

why use DB rows to build grip strength? That’s like using a power saw to cut your dinner steak with. It’ll work, but it’s not what its’ meant for.

I use straps for one arm dumbell rows. My grip fails on the weight I use. I am working back not grip.

[quote]plateau wrote:
kinein wrote:
straps…do exercises that emphasize a strong grip with both hands.

Thumbless pullups - with added weight if need be
Static holds - heavy loaded bb
Heavy shrugs ~ just anything where you hold a shit ton of weight, static work can help
Hell farmer walks with 100+ in each hand
forearm and grip work exercises ~

Are you saying you use straps for static holds? Why are you doing static holds if not to improve your grip?[/quote]

No. Each suggestion was on it’s own separate from the rest. Static holds are just that static holds. Straps for his training is just that straps for his training.

I don’t use straps but I can appreciate the benefit for really heavy work, I just don’t have that type of problem at low 100s.