T Nation

Grip for One Arm DB Rows

I find that as I move into the 100+ dumbbells, my lifts become limited by my grip strength. To compensate, I put my fist flush with the top of the dumbbell instead of holding it properly in the middle.

Does anyone else do this? Is it considered poor form or not a big deal?

Why not use straps?

I’ve tried doing that, but it doesn’t feel very comfortable. I can’t tell you whether it’s bad form of not though, as long as your forearm stays at about 90 degrees to the floor.

Personally, my grip is ok up until about 100lbs, but I started using straps for anything over that and even 120-130lbs is easily(easier) manageable now.

I do the same thing as the OP. I have an ACE bandage that I wrap about my wrist b/c the way my weights are…it digs in and hurts a shitload (might bleed if i didn’t do this).

I’ve been trying to grip it in the middle for the first few reps but end up nudging it to the end for the last few.

I never wear straps though…it would be a lot harder to get better grip with them.

chalk baby, chalk.

I do the same thing, I also use straps. It’s just more comfortable for me

[quote]Mr Bizzle wrote:
I do the same thing as the OP. I have an ACE bandage that I wrap about my wrist b/c the way my weights are…it digs in and hurts a shitload (might bleed if i didn’t do this).

I’ve been trying to grip it in the middle for the first few reps but end up nudging it to the end for the last few.

I never wear straps though…it would be a lot harder to get better grip with them.

chalk baby, chalk.[/quote]

I used to think like this. No straps ever! Till I just had to use them on a final set cause I new my grip would fail. One thing I noticed, and it’s been talked about around here before, is it takes you mind away from concentrating on your grip and concentrating on the working muscle. As a (good) consequence, I was able to FEEL my back more and was able to get more reps than the previous set.

I’m all for improving grip, but not anymore. At the price of less weight, less reps, or anything else, it doesn’t make sense (to me).

cueball

Edit: As a side note, Yes on the chalk. It does go a long way in limiting the need for straps. I always have sweaty palms and it really helps.

Yeah get some straps dude. The focus lost on grip for that movement isn’t really realized until you use straps for the first time.

No more worrying about hand placement or “wrist knuckle” injury, just pure focus on the back.

TBH OP, I’d say grip that fucker any way that allows you to row it w/o losing the sensation of contracting the proper muscles.

I’m usually more technical in my descriptions, but when I’m doing a Matt K row set, I’m gripping for dear life and squeezing the piss out of my upper back…

To put it bluntly :wink:

straps.

I’ve resisted straps to this point, because I want to keep working my grip strength along with everything else. That said, the main purpose of DB rows is to work the back, so maybe I will surrender to the inevitable and go with straps.

Straps are a great tool. Too many people start using them for everything. I use them when my form suffers due to grip strength.

As far as “not getting a good grip with them” as mentioned above . . . . they are doing it wrong.

[quote]RWElder0 wrote:
Straps are a great tool. Too many people start using them for everything. I use them when my form suffers due to grip strength.
[/quote]

… so you recommend not using straps for reverse decline between-the-legs tricep kickbacks?! :open_mouth:
I must have been doing something wrong, then.

[quote]forlife wrote:
I’ve resisted straps to this point, because I want to keep working my grip strength along with everything else. That said, the main purpose of DB rows is to work the back, so maybe I will surrender to the inevitable and go with straps.[/quote]

How do you do deadlifts or rack deadlifts with no straps ??

Unless your a powerlifter USE STRAPS !

[quote]pinkponyz wrote:
RWElder0 wrote:
Straps are a great tool. Too many people start using them for everything. I use them when my form suffers due to grip strength.

… so you recommend not using straps for reverse decline between-the-legs tricep kickbacks?! :open_mouth:
I must have been doing something wrong, then.
[/quote]

Just reading that made my eye twitch

If you use straps you can concentrate more on elbow movement during lift. In the past used to nearly tie dumbell using straps for wrist, it helped to focus on lat contraction.

I guess that the use of straps would be more handy if you were more of a bodybuilder as opposed to a strongman or powerlifting competitor.

That would make sense to me; as well as give me a reason for not using straps right now lol

Whatchu talkin bout willis? I use straps and simply grip the DB like you normally do and go to town. The DB should be somewhat parallel with the floor at the top of the rep with a little extra for contraction. My two centavos.

straps…do exercises that emphasize a strong grip with both hands.

Thumbless pullups - with added weight if need be
Static holds - heavy loaded bb
Heavy shrugs ~ just anything where you hold a shit ton of weight, static work can help
Hell farmer walks with 100+ in each hand
forearm and grip work exercises ~

It’s not my primary back movement right now so I’m doing them without straps. My hand definitely slips down to the end of the DB on my left side. The DBs in my gym, like the barbells, are a bit thicker than they should be so it’s great for my grip, which needs serious work.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
I guess that the use of straps would be more handy if you were more of a bodybuilder as opposed to a strongman or powerlifting competitor.

That would make sense to me; as well as give me a reason for not using straps right now lol[/quote]

Strong men get to use straps on some things.

I don’t see why you have to train grip and back together.

This is what I do when my grip is holding me back. Use straps, complete the set, remove the strap, static hold the weight for as long as you can, repeat.