Grip During Clean Jerk?

I’ve been lifting for a while, but only recently got into O-lifting.

I’m still learning the technique and using low weight, but I’m starting to have a problem when resting the bat on my shoulders.

It is getting to the point that even doing a set of power jerks, I’m limited by how long I can rest the bar on my shoulders more so than the actual lift.

If I assume natural position for my hands on the bar, it really presses on my shoulders (that’s ok), but also the tip of my collarbone (at the center of the body), and also strains my neck.

I’ve tried moving my hands closer together, but that leads to a very strained position for my wrist, and also makes it hard to stabilize the weight once I have it over my head.

Granted, there might not be enough meat on my shoulders right now, but even if growth will resolve this issue, I would like to have some temporary solution.

Any advice will be appreciated.
If necessary, I can try and get a picture of my holding a bar (though I can’t take pics in my gym, so it wouldn’t be a real O-bar)

Thanks.

Go to mikesgym.org, crossfit.com gaylehatch.com they all have good info about olympic weightlifting.

You might not have enough meat on your shoulders, and you might just have to give it time.

When I first started doing front squats, it hurt my shoulders and collarbone to hold the bar, but I got used to it. Now I don’t even notice it up there.

Your hand position isn’t going to fix the issue since you’re supposed to rest the bar across your shoulders. Your hands aren’t going to be taking any of the weight while the bar is just sitting there, so it doesn’t matter where they are.

Your problem sounds like the typical discomfort lifters get when they first start. Give it time and it’ll go away.

This is how I hold it for power jerks and Jerks.

I have high elbows as I use to have a tendency to drop my chest and have the ar roll down slowly and crumple my back when I was starting out.

Higher elbows need more flexibility also.

You should be able to rest the bar across your clavicle and shoulder area quite easily. It is resting. Your not suppose to grip the bar so tight that the weight is actually on your arms or wrists!

Do you stretch your shouldres and WRISTS out? Just hold your palms together and move about slowly. Stretch SLOWLY in all directions.

Most lifters have lower elbows position for squats and Jerks then I do though. down to personal prefence and mobility.

Koing

Thanks guys.

After what you said, I realized the problem has got to be where I’m placing the bar on my shoulder.

So today at the gym, I loaded up pretty light, but enough for me to feel where the bar is very uncomfortable.

Since it was light, I was able to move the bar a bit once it was on my shoulders.
I found that if I moved the bar forward a bit, I could find a spot that puts no strain on my neck, and fits more comfortably on my clavicle.

It was still a bit uncomfortable, but far from unbearable, and hopefully with some practice and as my shoulder grows, it will stop being my limiting factor.

Thanks for the tips

[quote]yonyb wrote:
Thanks guys.

After what you said, I realized the problem has got to be where I’m placing the bar on my shoulder.

So today at the gym, I loaded up pretty light, but enough for me to feel where the bar is very uncomfortable.

Since it was light, I was able to move the bar a bit once it was on my shoulders.
I found that if I moved the bar forward a bit, I could find a spot that puts no strain on my neck, and fits more comfortably on my clavicle.

It was still a bit uncomfortable, but far from unbearable, and hopefully with some practice and as my shoulder grows, it will stop being my limiting factor.

Thanks for the tips[/quote]

Yup.

Most lifters have the bar buried as close as possible to their necks and really tight across their clavicle. The closer it is the closer the weight is more incline with your body = stronger for the Jerks.

You may find it harder when your Jerking heavy weights with the bar in further away from your body?

Same with front squats, I have the bar as close as possible to my neck. New lifters complain about it, but they all get use to it. You’ll learn to love it :smiley:

Or it may not effect you much as the weight inceases. You will also get more flexible the more you lift also.

Koing

For me when I clean and jerk I have to hold at the same place I grip for conventional deadlifts.

If I’m just doing jerks I might go a half inch wider out.

But behind the neck jerks I can hold the bar in the same place I do bench.