Grip and Forearms in Separate Workout

Has anyone got any thoughts or experience of training grip and forearms in a seperate workout from my main one ( same day, seperated by at least 6/7 hours.)
Grip seems to be a limiting factor for me and I want to grow these twigs that I’ve got for lower arms, but my main workout is already a bit long.

Pro:
You found a “weakness” So you give it it’s own special workout, to target, train and eliminate the weakness. That’s what training is all about!

Con:
-It’s So Boring! Unless you just have super passion for grip and forearms it’s really unexciting and not much fun to do a full forearm workout.

-It’s uncomfortable! Some grip or forearm exercises really put a lot of pressure on your fingers, wrists or elbows. Some of that stuff hurts! A good warm up makes it way less painful. A “regular” lifting session is a pretty effective warm up for your lower arms.

Forearms seem to take a long time and massive amount of work to really develop. I wouldn’t separate them.

Thanks for the replies
The boredom I can handle and I’ve got plenty of time to dedicate to it.
I was thinking 3x a week in the afternoons(after main morning workout) doing just two exercises.
Mon: crush gripper and wrist roller
Wed: pinch holds and lever bar pronation/supination
Fri: fat grip hold and lever bar radial/ulnar deviation.
Is this doable? Has anyone tried anything similar?

The volume is what matters, not the exercises.

Unless you’re already training your forearms twice a week, I don’t know if its time to move up frequency to thrice.

Elbow tendonitis is annoying. Overdoing forearm and or grip work always lead to tender elbows for me.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly what he said.

Also, there is a lot of overlap in your routine. 3 days, 3 wrist lifts and 2 thumb heavy lifts.

Don’t forget your “Regular” supporting grip, like farmers walk or not fat bar holds.

And your fingers. Like Eagle-Talon, heart ripping Kung Fu grip strength. 2 finger deadlifts and ring finger chin ups.

Yeah, I can relate to the elbow tendonitis issue. I also have suffered with it. I guess that’s partly what prompted this, making my weakness a strength.

Perhaps I should build the volume more gradually and incorporate more indirect work in my regular workouts. e.g. Towel pull ups, farmer’s walks and the like. Thanks for the ideas guys.