Grip and Barbell Rows

Well, just finished my back routine and everytime i do barbell rows i feel that my back can move much more weight but my gands cant keep a good grip. i have really small hands, i use wraps but i still feel the weight always about to slide outta my grip and i cant seem to add on the weight that i want… anyone got any advice or every experience this? thx

If you mean you use straps, it may be you are not using them correctly.

That just should not be happening with correctly-used straps.

I don’t understand using straps on bb rows. Are you pulling over 225 on them?

Yeah I am wondering if you are using them correctly.

Once I start doing my working sets over 225 I will use straps. Maybe your not using them right cause straps always keep my grip. If straps genuinely do not work for you then you should try grip training.

[quote]elano wrote:
I don’t understand using straps on bb rows. [/quote]

Some people actually do do this. (Though I think in many or most cases it is because they feel they target their back better when they do, not really that they can’t hold onto the bar.)

I have to admit I’m a strap user on DL’s, but certainly not on rows. However if a person’s grip is poor enough relative to their strength in rows I could see grip being an issue for rows: but certainly not when using straps correctly unless perhaps having nerve injury or something, which doesn’t appear to be the case here.

I use straps bigtime on rows. Not that I couldn’t do it without them, however towards the last few reps, my grip ALWAYS gives out before my back. I use em well over 225 and no issues with grip. I could probably put 315 on there if my back could handle it(which it can’t)…I think your not wrapping the bar tight enough.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
I use straps bigtime on rows. Not that I couldn’t do it without them, however towards the last few reps, my grip ALWAYS gives out before my back. I use em well over 225 and no issues with grip. I could probably put 315 on there if my back could handle it(which it can’t)…I think your not wrapping the bar tight enough.[/quote]

IF your back can’t handle 315, you could always use the smith machine to really hammer your rows with heavy weight. I like to do that from time to time.

This might be off topic, but you can buy fat grips to put on barbells and dumbbells. I used the “Tylergrips” for a while and my hand strength really went up. I would still be using them now if I hadn’t lost them.

its not really a problem below 225, but once i start packin on some proper weight i just cant keep a grip… i mean i can for certain reps but it just seems my grip gives out way before my back strength… how could i not be usin the straps properly? i wrap them tight as crap… do u guys wrap them under or over the bar? cuz i just saw a vid where it looks like coleman is wrapoin them under the bar, which lloks weird to me…

www.bodybuilding.com/store/gl/straps.html

yea holy crap, ive been wrapin them shits the wrong way all these years!! well thats good news, but kinda embarrasing…

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
its not really a problem below 225, but once i start packin on some proper weight i just cant keep a grip… i mean i can for certain reps but it just seems my grip gives out way before my back strength… how could i not be usin the straps properly? i wrap them tight as crap… do u guys wrap them under or over the bar? cuz i just saw a vid where it looks like coleman is wrapoin them under the bar, which lloks weird to me…[/quote]

Always under. It allows you to tighten them by twisting backward like you are revving a motorcycle.

cool… well thx guys… looks like my problem might be solved!! :slight_smile: