T Nation

Grinding Teeth When Lifting

Anybody else grind the shit out of their teeth when lifting?

I don’t do it on all lifts, but any heavy lower body lift makes me clench my jaw so hard it hurts for days after!

Happens to me sometimes, but not always. Don’t know why. Clench my jaw really tight, and then later that day if Im just walking around it actually hurts my jaw as I move around.

Wear a mouth guard maybe?

tweet

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Anybody else grind the shit out of their teeth when lifting?

I don’t do it on all lifts, but any heavy lower body lift makes me clench my jaw so hard it hurts for days after![/quote]

Found out I was doing the same thing, especially during heavy squats. Cracked my rear molar. Got this, pretty comfortable, fits well, no more problems (note this may be overkill but all the mouthguards at my local sports authority were for contact sports)

good luck!

I actually open my mouth on heavy lifts, as if I am about to scream at the top of my lungs. I would actively work on that if I were you, try to focus on keeping space between your teeth while lifting or if that is impossible, go with the mouth guard. You may look silly, but who gives a fuck?

Yeah OP get and old school mouth guard like Emmit Smith used to wear. That’s be awesome.

yeah the mouth guard is going to look stupid. Maybe I’ll get a big chunk of wood to bite down on, that’ll make me look badass.

[quote]StructureInChaos wrote:
I actually open my mouth on heavy lifts, as if I am about to scream at the top of my lungs. I would actively work on that if I were you, try to focus on keeping space between your teeth while lifting or if that is impossible, go with the mouth guard. You may look silly, but who gives a fuck?[/quote]

I noticed that during really heavy squats, on the way up I raise my eyebrows. It’s like even the muscles in my face are trying to help me complete the lift.