Grilling Season is On!!

[quote]lewhitehurst wrote:

[quote]Professor X wrote:
OK, screw it. Let’s talk about grilling because I am about to move and plan to upgrade to a grill big enough to cook about 15 steaks without it taking the 3-4 hours it takes me right now.

What size grill can I get without spending over 300 bucks and is propane the better option?[/quote]

Love propane. I’d honestly have to look at the one I have to see what brand it is, but it was definitely less than $300 and it even has the eye on the side so you can cook stuff in pots and pans.[/quote]

How long have you had it for?

I was going to be this one today for $199:
http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Grills-Accessories-Grills/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xg1Zasfe/R-202022848/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Looks very nice in the store, nice size and side burner. But when I looked at the reviews I noticed people that just bought it love it. But people that have had it for at least 2 years said it fell apart. That scared me off.

PX, I’m not sure about Texas but some gas stations in New Jersey sell or refill propane tanks. You can also get the tanks refilled at a local Home Depot. ( in NJ at least). My friends all have propane grills and none of them have complained about maintenance or finding places to refill them.

You stop grilling in the winter?

Damn man. No amount of snow or ice will stop me from putting a steak on.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

OK, screw it. Let’s talk about grilling because I am about to move and plan to upgrade to a grill big enough to cook about 15 steaks without it taking the 3-4 hours it takes me right now.

What size grill can I get without spending over 300 bucks and is propane the better option?[/quote]

Love propane. I’d honestly have to look at the one I have to see what brand it is, but it was definitely less than $300 and it even has the eye on the side so you can cook stuff in pots and pans.[/quote]

Walmart always has tons of grills for cheap around September. I’ve seen $500 grills go for $300 ish. I’d get one that can used charcoal myself.
[/quote]

Yeah, the key to getting one cheap is to buy it out at the end of the season. I’ve got a big 5 burner brinkman for cheap.

I will use my smoker to cook a ton of meat at once too. In a smoker, you have multiple racks so you can fit a ton of food. I can do 15-20 chicken breasts at once. Or big roasts or pork loins. It does take a while for it to cook, but it’s really easy and tastes amazing. A smoker is also a lot cheaper than a grill, I got mine for about 75 bucks (electric). The other down side (at least for mine) is that it isn’t powerful enough to really cook when it’s cold out, ends up taking forever.

I’ve never tried smoking a steak on one, but I don’t see how it could taste anyway but great. You’d just have to practice getting it to the desired done-ness.

Where do you get the propane from? Is it cleaner than charcoal to clean up? How do you maintain a propane grill?[/quote]

After having recently starting lifting i made sure i bought a grill. picked a propane grill up from walmart for $199 dollars. payed 45 for the gas tank and propane grills really need no maintenance just a good scrub right after your done cooking to make sure no food residue sticks to the plate on top. it is average size and fits on a balcony in my house. when the gas runs out you simply go to the gas station and have em refill it. its usually like 20 bucks to refill and last for about 15-20 shorts cooks. i cook about 8-9 steaks at a time on mine. unless im making a bunch of meat kababs then i can do about 20 sticks.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

Walmart always has tons of grills for cheap around September. I’ve seen $500 grills go for $300 ish. I’d get one that can used charcoal myself.
[/quote]

I saw a cool one at Home Depot. The right side is gas and the left side is charcoal. You’ll only be using one or the other most of the time so that makes it a waste of space but the concept is pretty cool.

This the dual one I was talking about:

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Grills-Accessories-Grills/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xr5Zasfe/R-202022851/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

But I’m still not sure about buying Brinkmann after some bad reviews.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[/quote]

Yeah, the key to getting one cheap is to buy it out at the end of the season. I’ve got a big 5 burner brinkman for cheap.

I will use my smoker to cook a ton of meat at once too. In a smoker, you have multiple racks so you can fit a ton of food. I can do 15-20 chicken breasts at once. Or big roasts or pork loins. It does take a while for it to cook, but it’s really easy and tastes amazing. A smoker is also a lot cheaper than a grill, I got mine for about 75 bucks (electric). The other down side (at least for mine) is that it isn’t powerful enough to really cook when it’s cold out, ends up taking forever.

I’ve never tried smoking a steak on one, but I don’t see how it could taste anyway but great. You’d just have to practice getting it to the desired done-ness. [/quote]

We were on the same page til you suggested smoking a stake…Utter blasphemy

Grills are like any other appliance you get what you pay for. Prof X i know you cook a lot so you may want to spend a little more on a good grill. Unless you dont mind buying a new one every few years then the cheaper ones will do you justice until they crap out. As far as gas goes, we use a gas grill and you can get propane refills almost anywhere it seems, i go to ace or a rental center and its only like 15$ which isnt bad at all. Maintenance is real easy, clean it after you use it just by scraping it down. Every so often ill take everything off and scrub it but no need to do that all the time. I think everything tastes great off my propane tank and we grill just about every day so it is much more convenient than having to start the fire by coals all the time, especially in the winter.

YES! 75 here today. There’s cooking stuff on a grill, and then there’s grilling season.

[quote]Xab wrote:
You stop grilling in the winter?

Damn man. No amount of snow or ice will stop me from putting a steak on. [/quote]

lol, very true for me. Aside from the cold, it is pitch black around dinner time, making it tough to see how well things are cooking. Instead I just rigged up a couple large floodlights, seemed to do the trick.

Grilling favorite as of late: salmon, marinated for 12 hours in a mixture of soya sauce, maple syrup, garlic, and lemon juice.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[/quote]

I’ve never tried smoking a steak on one, but I don’t see how it could taste anyway but great. You’d just have to practice getting it to the desired done-ness. [/quote]

[/quote]

I guess I shouldn’t say we use to cook up STEAKS on the smoker all the time. It was definitely a long long process (even for med-rare), but always ended up tasting fantastic.

I think this thread pushed me towards the propane style. I know after too long, I would be too lazy to worry about lighting coals properly.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Just so we are clear, you can still cook rare meat on a smoker. Please explain how a smoked rare steak isn’t awesome.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]borrek wrote:
I’m sure for some of you guys it never ended, but it’s hard to give charcoal the respect it deserves during a Michigan winter.

Let’s see what you guys got cookin’!![/quote]

Please tell me you cooked the meat on those kabobs before adding the veggies.[/quote]

No, I like when the red pepper gets a little roasted, and the onions get carmelized. I cook the meat to more of a medium/med rare doneness anyway. Thats what makes the red pepper/onion/beef combo so good for a kabob, they all pull it together at the same time.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
I think this thread pushed me towards the propane style. I know after too long, I would be too lazy to worry about lighting coals properly.
[/quote]

With a charcoal grill, you gotta get a chimney. It was the best $20 I ever spent (yes, ever)
i haven’t touched lighter fluid since I’ve gotten it, and the coals are ready in about 20 minutes. All you do is fill it with coals, and then put 2-3 balls of newspaper in the bottom. You light the paper, and in 20 minutes you have a grill load of coals to pour. None of that junk about making charcoal pyramids and using starter coals or fluids.

The second best add on, was the grill grate with hinged sides, so I can open up the grate and toss on a handful of wood chips, or more coals if I’m doing a long cook.

1. IMO smoking is for cheaper cuts of meat (chicken breasts and pork steaks come to mind) and good beef STEAK isn’t cheap.
  2. Smoking isn’t known to be a fast process.
  3. I like my STEAKS to have a good crust on it. You need high direct heat to get a good sear on meat. You can’t get that effect/flavor any other way.

It’s your meat though do what you will with it. Just know you’re making the grilling gods cry.

[quote]borrek wrote:

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
[/quote]

With a charcoal grill, you gotta get a chimney. It was the best $20 I ever spent (yes, ever)
i haven’t touched lighter fluid since I’ve gotten it, and the coals are ready in about 20 minutes. All you do is fill it with coals, and then put 2-3 balls of newspaper in the bottom. You light the paper, and in 20 minutes you have a grill load of coals to pour. None of that junk about making charcoal pyramids and using starter coals or fluids.

The second best add on, was the grill grate with hinged sides, so I can open up the grate and toss on a handful of wood chips, or more coals if I’m doing a long cook.

[/quote]

This.

Also, for the peeps who like more medium well with grilled veggies, metal kabobs are a must.

[quote]borrek wrote:

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

[quote]borrek wrote:
I’m sure for some of you guys it never ended, but it’s hard to give charcoal the respect it deserves during a Michigan winter.

Let’s see what you guys got cookin’!![/quote]

Please tell me you cooked the meat on those kabobs before adding the veggies.[/quote]

No, I like when the red pepper gets a little roasted, and the onions get carmelized. I cook the meat to more of a medium/med rare doneness anyway. Thats what makes the red pepper/onion/beef combo so good for a kabob, they all pull it together at the same time.
[/quote]

Just a personal preference, I don’t eat med rare kabobs. So I either pair the meat with a veggie that takes a lil while to cook or even better make all meat kabobs.

[quote]Soulja874 wrote:

1. IMO smoking is for cheaper cuts of meat (chicken breasts and pork steaks come to mind) and good beef STEAK isn’t cheap.
  2. Smoking isn’t known to be a fast process.
  3. I like my STEAKS to have a good crust on it. You need high direct heat to get a good sear on meat. You can’t get that effect/flavor any other way.

It’s your meat though do what you will with it. Just know you’re making the grilling gods cry.
[/quote]

You can actually smoke stuff after you cook it too. 10 minutes of smoking adds tons of flavor.

Kroger’s has rib eyes on sale for 4 bucks a pound today. Unfortunately, I loaded up last week when they were just over 5 and I don’t have much room to stock up now.

Kroger’s has rib eyes on sale for 4 bucks a pound today. Unfortunately, I loaded up last week when they were just over 5 and I don’t have much room to stock up now.[/quote]

Don’t forget sam’s, I just bought some steaks at $3.80 a pound.