Greg Oden: 30 Pounds Muscle, 5 Months

While staying at 7.8 percent body fat. He hasn’t been able to work with his lower body much due to his knee problem (had surgery on it), so most of it is in his upper body.

All I can say is…yeah right…

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/49237/20071116/oden_gains_30_pounds_of_muscle/

Hmmm…not buying it either.

haha the guy that couldn’t even bench press 185?

[quote]shizen wrote:
haha the guy that couldn’t even bench press 185? [/quote]

Nah, that was Kevin Durant. Oden put up 185 lbs 13 times.

It wasn’t all muscle (do the math).

Factor the above in with (most likely) creatine water gains (the author probably wouldn’t know the difference), the fact that this guy is a professional athlete/genetic mutant with access to top personal trainers and nutritionists, and my jaw isn’t exactly on the floor.

The guy is like 7 ft. tall without much prior weight training experience. I don’t really have any idea if it’s possible. If you consider, though, that 30 pounds on a guy that tall isn’t THAT ridiculous, plus newbie gains… I don’t know.

I don’t doubt it, for someone that tall, who also didn’t lift in college. Why is 30 lbs of muscle in 5 months is unbelievable, especially when you have absolutely nothing else to do?

The part that bothers me is that most of this weight is upper body mass since he can’t even do any lower body stuff at this time. 30 overall is hard enough to believe…but around 30 in the upper body alone? Ehh…

And I highly doubt he was a newbie lifter. He already had some nice definition in his arms while at Ohio St.

[quote]conner wrote:
It wasn’t all muscle (do the math).

Factor the above in with (most likely) creatine water gains (the author probably wouldn’t know the difference), the fact that this guy is a professional athlete/genetic mutant with access to top personal trainers and nutritionists, and my jaw isn’t exactly on the floor.[/quote]

You are smarter than some of the other posters haha.

I’m not positive how tall he is but it’s about 7 foot yeah? Let’s look here.

30 lbs/84 inches=.357 lbs per inch gained

I’m 5’8 so let’s see what I would have had to have done in comparable time

.357 lbs per inch gained on 68 inches=21.42

If I wasn’t lifting I’d probably be around 160 so let’s take that weight and say in five months of only upper body training I went from 160 to 181ish. It would be a good change, but not out of this world. Take into account Greg has money, time, motivation, and resources that the average bear doesn’t and it gets less crazy. Impressive yes, unbelievable no.

His “nice definition” came from no weight lifting and being cardio intensive…

Those kenyan marathon runners have “nice definition,” too.

[quote]Whey Man wrote:
The part that bothers me is that most of this weight is upper body mass since he can’t even do any lower body stuff at this time. [/quote]

I heard it was all of it…he can’t add any weight to his lower body until his knee heals better from the microfracture surgery.

oden, while 250 in college, may have had definition, but he is seven feet tall. the fact that he basically lived in the weight room with the team trainers kind of doesn’t make the news surprise me too much. what is strange to me is that somehow nate mcmillan didn’t know what oden was doing.

Just because you can’t put on any fucking weight - someone else who can is suspect?

You weak assed no lifting motherfuckers need to understand that there are folks out there that can actually make progress.

You guys need to go back to BB.com

Fuckers.

[quote]JokerFMJ wrote:
His “nice definition” came from no weight lifting and being cardio intensive…

Those kenyan marathon runners have “nice definition,” too.[/quote]

But it comes to a point where it’s evident that at least SOME lifting had been done in the past.

…who cares? Does it bother you that someone gained 30 lbs, regardless where it is on his body? I’d be happy for the guy, and just keep eating, lifting, and sleeping.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
Just because you can’t put on any fucking weight - someone else who can is suspect?

You weak assed no lifting motherfuckers need to understand that there are folks out there that can actually make progress.

Fuckers. [/quote]

Exactly. I was gonna say in my earlier post - the only two people doubting him so far are 174 at 6’ (after 5 “give or take” years of training) and 187 at 6’2" (with a solid ‘0’ next to his years training).

What makes these two think that they are authorities on putting on significant amounts of LBM?

Not possible? Are you people kidding. 6 lbs of muscle a month is not very miraculous for what is basically a newbie. And it’s not all muscle. Some is increased glycogen. Some is water. Some is fat. Even if he did stay at 7.8% bodyfat, his bodyfat increased. His bodyfat percentage would’ve gone down if adding all that muscle and no fat. This is entirely realistic for a new lifter.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Not possible? Are you people kidding. 6 lbs of muscle a month is not very miraculous for what is basically a newbie. And it’s not all muscle. Some is increased glycogen. Some is water. Some is fat. Even if he did stay at 7.8% bodyfat, his bodyfat increased. His bodyfat percentage would’ve gone down if adding all that muscle and no fat. This is entirely realistic for a new lifter.[/quote]

Finally someone who knows what a % is.

[quote]conner wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Fuckers.

Exactly. I was gonna say in my earlier post - the only two people doubting him so far are 174 at 6’ (after 5 “give or take” years of training) and 187 at 6’2" (with a solid ‘0’ next to his years training).

What makes these two think that they are authorities on putting on significant amounts of LBM?[/quote]

1. Wow. You think I’m the one who’s ignorant? Look at yourselves. You’re judging my knowledge based on the fact that I’m 174. Wow. Sorry. Didn’t know I had to weigh more to have an opinion. I think I’ll stay around 174 for athletic purposes…thanks though.

2. I never said it’s impossible, I just say I don’t believe it. He had probably been lifting some since June, and they said he really started going at it when his leg got hurt, and that that’s when he added most of that mass. Well that was 1.5 or so months ago. So most of that muscle gain reportedly came within 1.5 months (obviously some from when he initially started lifting too, whenever the heck that was).

All I can say is that I’m a believer in that it doesn’t take a magical few months to gain 30 pounds of muscle without getting any fatter WHILE being imobile at the same time. Ya’ll make it sound too easy sometimes, and it’s people like you who make average people think they can turn themselves into greek gods in no time, only to be left disappointed within a few weeks and then give up entirely. There are many variables that have to be taken into consideration, and practically being cripple is one that you’re all overlooking in this case. If Oden was completely healthy, yes, then I’d be more inclined to believe it. The man’s simply a genetic freak and has many trainers at his disposal. But he’s not healthy, now is he?

I’ll eat my words if he really did do it.

[quote]Whey Man wrote:
conner wrote:
rainjack wrote:

Fuckers.

What makes these two think that they are authorities on putting on significant amounts of LBM?

1. Wow. You think I’m the one who’s ignorant? Look at yourselves. You’re judging my knowledge based on the fact that I’m 174. Wow. Sorry. Didn’t know I had to weigh more to have an opinion. I think I’ll stay around 174 for athletic purposes…thanks though.

2. I never said it’s impossible, I just say I don’t believe it. He had probably been lifting some since June, and they said he really started going at it when his leg got hurt, and that that’s when he added most of that mass. Well that was 1.5 or so months ago. So most of that muscle gain reportedly came within 1.5 months (obviously some from when he initially started lifting too, whenever the heck that was).

All I can say is that I’m a believer in that it doesn’t take a magical few months to gain 30 pounds of muscle without getting any fatter WHILE being imobile at the same time. Ya’ll make it sound too easy sometimes, and it’s people like you who make average people think they can turn themselves into greek gods in no time, only to be left disappointed within a few weeks and then give up entirely. There are many variables that have to be taken into consideration, and practically being cripple is one that you’re all overlooking in this case. If Oden was completely healthy, yes, then I’d be more inclined to believe it. The man’s simply a genetic freak and has many trainers at his disposal. But he’s not healthy, now is he?

I’ll eat my words if he really did do it. [/quote]

Eat a steak instead. It’ll help you come closer to realizing that this is quite a normal feat. Years ago, my first three months of serious lifting I gained 12 lbs and actually DID lose a little fat. I wasn’t ‘bulking’ and probably not really even eating enough. I didn’t know shit about nutrition at the time. Gains like this don’t continue for advanced lifters who’ve been lifting for years, of course. But these are normal newbie[ish] gains in 5 months for someone who works hard and is dedicated in the kitchen and the gym. And Oden’s injuries are not affecting his upper body as far as I know. Nor are they necessarily precluding any and all lower body work.

[quote]Whey Man wrote:

1. Wow. You think I’m the one who’s ignorant? Look at yourselves. You’re judging my knowledge based on the fact that I’m 174. Wow. Sorry. Didn’t know I had to weigh more to have an opinion. I think I’ll stay around 174 for athletic purposes…thanks though. [/quote]

Have you ever trained to gain mass? You choice to stay small makes you ignorant of gaining mass. Unless you have done it, how in the hell can you possibly speak as an authority?

So you don’t even know when Oden started bulking up - but you don’t believe 30lbs of mass gain can be done. SOunds like you don’t know enough about what he is doing to even make a judgment like this in the first place.

I’ll eat my words if he really did do it. [/quote]

Newbie gains are the easiest to make. And they don’t take that long. He increased his body weight by just over 10%. That would be like you gaining 20 pounds in the same 6 months. How in the hell is that impossible?

He’s not healthy enough to play NBA caliber basketball right now. That does not mean he is an invalid. He can still train. He can still eat. You do know that the most important factor in weight gain is nutrition, right?

How can you be too crippled to eat?

30 pounds in 6 months is not impossible,