Greg Jones What A Freak

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Shadow wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
PhilG wrote:
The guys sure knows how to eat!

Ice cream, chips, candy, ice pops. All the major food groups.

Yeah…unbelievable.

Nowhere in any sport will you find worse nutrition than at a collegiate football program.

I couldn’t believe what I saw at PSU. A whole private dining hall with steak, chicken, lobster, omelettes, salmon and everything else, and guys are eating freakin’ fruit loops and french fries.

It didn’t help that our “nutritionists” advice for gaining muscle was “to eat lots of applesauce, or have an extra slice of pie at dinner”…[/quote]

With that much lean body mass and that level of activity, I really don’t think it is so much “what” you eat but simply how much. I knew a lot of guys in college that were big, fairly lean and muscular who ate pure crap all of the time but in very large amounts (waffles, eggs, hamburgers, pizza, beer was an average daily diet).

I also saw a few of them 5 years or less after they quit training and they were fat as hell. Some of these guys only lift because they play ball. take that away and they lose the motivation to workout.

That shows two things. One, if you have the genetics AND the drive to train regularly, you probably don’t need to be that strict with your food intake. Two, that training hard is the largest determinant for how much you can get away with.

If “intensity” for you means barely breaking a sweat in the gym and doing super slow curls with a 35lbs dumbbell is what you consider “balls to the wall”, you probably don’t need to be eating that cheeseburger.

[quote]KC Masterpiece wrote:
I respectfully disagree.

THIS is the greatest stiffarm of…all…time.

That was a good stiff arm, but you didn’t read my post right. I said Heyward’s stiff arm was “textbook” not the greatest of alltime.

[quote]Panther1015 wrote:
KC Masterpiece wrote:
I respectfully disagree.

THIS is the greatest stiffarm of…all…time.

That was a good stiff arm, but you didn’t read my post right. I said Heyward’s stiff arm was “textbook” not the greatest of alltime.[/quote]

PGA200X was the one talking about stiffarm greatness.

I really just wanted an excuse to post the Earl Campbell video.

Oh God, a whole buffet full of steak and salmon and lobster ? o.0 Why did I ever quit playing 'ball ? I could’ve maybe ended up in the Valhalla of Food !

Every dinner would’ve contained steak or chicken or salmon…mind you there would be indulgence on ice cream and cheesecake and shit, but Lordie, I would probably end up eating several cows just by myself in a month !

[quote]Professor X wrote:

With that much lean body mass and that level of activity, I really don’t think it is so much “what” you eat but simply how much. I knew a lot of guys in college that were big, fairly lean and muscular who ate pure crap all of the time but in very large amounts (waffles, eggs, hamburgers, pizza, beer was an average daily diet).

I also saw a few of them 5 years or less after they quit training and they were fat as hell. Some of these guys only lift because they play ball. take that away and they lose the motivation to workout.

That shows two things. One, if you have the genetics AND the drive to train regularly, you probably don’t need to be that strict with your food intake. Two, that training hard is the largest determinant for how much you can get away with.

If “intensity” for you means barely breaking a sweat in the gym and doing super slow curls with a 35lbs dumbbell is what you consider “balls to the wall”, you probably don’t need to be eating that cheeseburger.[/quote]

I agree that the choices of food don’t need to be nearly as strict when you’re dealing with a large individual with a high activity level.

However, you still need a good amount of all 3 macronutrients in your diet. My point was that most of these guys ate nothing but sugar and fat. A typical diet was chips, french fries, sugary kids cereal, soda, beer, etc.

Also, I’m not talking about guys who looked like Greg Jones that just happened to be a little lenient with how they got their calories.

Plenty of these guys physiques and strength numbers clearly showed that they lacked proper nutrition. Wasted talent is a pet peeve of mine…

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Wasted talent is a pet peeve of mine…[/quote]

Mine too.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Shadow wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
PhilG wrote:

Yeah…unbelievable.

Nowhere in any sport will you find worse nutrition than at a collegiate football program.

I couldn’t believe what I saw at PSU. A whole private dining hall with steak, chicken, lobster, omelettes, salmon and everything else, and guys are eating freakin’ fruit loops and french fries.

It didn’t help that our “nutritionists” advice for gaining muscle was “to eat lots of applesauce, or have an extra slice of pie at dinner”…[/quote]

I can attest to this. My brother and I went to grad school at PSU many years ago and had many friends on the football team. They snuck us in there to have a few meals (we were both competing as powerlifters at the time and nobody batted an eye because of our size) and as a grad student and I was extremely jealous. They had a spread that would make you cry. However, most of these guys were eating the crap instead of the good protein sources. I didn’t understand it. My brother and I, however, got our share (and probably a few other people’s) of steak, chicken, fish and whatever else we could. We were grad students and broke as hell, so this was heaven for us.

I wonder what effect (if any) Jones’ diet has on his chance of injuries i.e. inflammation or muscle pulls. It’s probably hard to link diet with injury but any thoughts?

Bauer97 wrote:
Wasted talent is a pet peeve of mine…

Mine too. [/quote]

I should email this to my PSU buddies. A couple of them were fuming when I said their program was wasting talent because of their S&C program.

Bauer97 wrote:
Shadow wrote:
rrjc5488 wrote:
PhilG wrote:

Yeah…unbelievable.

It didn’t help that our “nutritionists” advice for gaining muscle was “to eat lots of applesauce, or have an extra slice of pie at dinner”…

If “intensity” for you means barely breaking a sweat in the gym and doing super slow curls with a 35lbs dumbbell is what you consider “balls to the wall”, you probably don’t need to be eating that cheeseburger.[/quote]

ditto,

since adopting a high volume BB style routine and a 5 day split, i have been eating like crap and still getting bigger, and not around my waist. while my daugters were visiting, we ate a good old fashioned southern breakfast every morning so they would not miss their home cooking too much.

damn, eating fried eggs, potatoes, bacon and pancakes ever morning about 30minutes after a high volume brutal workout shot me up to almost 235lbs! LOL

Professor X wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:

Mine too.

I should email this to my PSU buddies. A couple of them were fuming when I said their program was wasting talent because of their S&C program.
[/quote]

Do any of your buddies actually play on the team there and therefore truly know what is going on from the inside?

If not, tell them ignorance isn’t actually bliss…

I love my alma mater, but I am in no way so blindly dogmatic to not point out where it falls short, just as I have no problem criticizing the programs of other schools if they deserve it.

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
Panther1015 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:

Mine too.

Do any of your buddies actually play on the team there and therefore truly know what is going on from the inside?

I love my alma mater, but I am in no way so blindly dogmatic to not point out where it falls short, just as I have no problem criticizing the programs of other schools if they deserve it.[/quote]

None of them played FB there. They are all dyed in the wool PSU fans that think the program can do no wrong. I never had a former player to back up what I used to tell them, this is a first for me.

I want a steak right now…too bad they’re like…fuckin expensive. Morons, don’t they know Lucky Sugar Charms are useless !? GIVE ME YOUR STEAK, DAMNIT !

sigh

Bauer97 wrote:

Mine too. [/quote]

An unfortunate reality in sports is that the best players aren’t always the hardest working players.

From my experience playing college football and coaching h.s. football, you can’t have a championship team unless your best players are the hardest working people on the team.

[quote]t3h_Squirr3l wrote:
I want a steak right now…too bad they’re like…fuckin expensive. Morons, don’t they know Lucky Sugar Charms are useless !? GIVE ME YOUR STEAK, DAMNIT !

sigh [/quote]

Where’d you play ball? BTW, like the username, squirrels kick ass.

[quote]djrobins wrote:
Panther,

I think if greg jones never ever touched a weight, he’d be able to max 465 on the bench and power clean over 3 plates.[/quote]

lol no way.

Bauer97 wrote:
Panther1015 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Bauer97 wrote:

Mine too.

I love my alma mater, but I am in no way so blindly dogmatic to not point out where it falls short, just as I have no problem criticizing the programs of other schools if they deserve it.

None of them played FB there. They are all dyed in the wool PSU fans that think the program can do no wrong. I never had a former player to back up what I used to tell them, this is a first for me.

[/quote]

EDIT: Sorry Pitt fan.

lol I played 'ball for my old high school and for my city’s rep team. I was 16-17 at the time and had basically decided to man-up and stop being such a pussy momma’s boy. What better way to be a man that play football, right ?

Very fun times, but I litterally grew out of it. I started off as a fat 230 lbs and ended up at 205 at year’s end. I was too small to play line and was moving up age divisions. I didn’t feel like riding the pine after picking up a new position (likely Fullback). Somtimes, I regret it. But I picked up wrestling after. I enjoy it a lot.

Here is another great stiff arm video. the running back is Adrian Peterson he plays for the Bears now.

No videos, but Willis McGahee has a nasty stiff-arm.