Greetings

Hello, I just joined the forum and I’m looking to improve my strength and athleticism.

To give a little background, I am a High School senior in Pasadena CA. Right now I am quite weak because I got lazy over the summer break and haven’t broken back into serious lifting. In my junior year I was very focused and lifted almost every school day and I was quite strong relative to everyone else at my school. I’m looking to regain and improve upon that strength.

I’m aiming to trim up somewhat, gain muscle, and gain endurance & toughness. I’m also trying to get into shape for swimming but this is somewhat secondary. I don’t really have a solid nutritional plan, besides taking my vitamins, drinking water, eating what tastes best to me, particularly grilled meat, and avoiding sweets.

I eat better then most teenagers, but that’s not saying much. I need to eat far more vegetables and I also need to eat more regularly, especially breakfast. The other big issue I have is not getting enough sleep and messing around too much.

My currant plan looks like this:
M: light running & body weight, some other track, Olympic lifts, and lifts related to Olympic lifts.

T: Swim for 1 - 1.5 hr, some light biking.

Wed: light running & body weight, some other track, power lifting, and related stuff.

Th: Swim for 1 - 1.5 hr, some light biking.

F: light running, some other track, lots of body weight, some burnouts (bench, curl, military press), misc lifts.

sometimes long (70mi) bike ride.
sometimes back burnout (then I rest SAT too)

S: high intensity activities
bike 70 mi (and bike back the next day)
or
play brute ball
or
punching bag, going body with friends…
Sun:
rest and recovery

Once a month I want to bike down to muscle beach, swim in the ocean, run in the sand, and lift in the pen, then take the train back. I could bike both ways, but I think biking after lifting would be a little hard on my back.

This will start when I get off of break, 1/7. In the mean time I’m going to just do a lot of push ups, pull ups, light running so that starting a serious program wont be such a shock. Specifically, at least 150 push ups with 3 different types, 300 crunches, 25 pull-ups and a one-mile run for the next week.

To be honest, I’m not going to start in till the 2nd because the next few days are going to be pretty occupied with messing around and preparing for New Years Eve. I’ll still try and get a 100 push ups a day in though.

This plan is built around the resources I expect to have when school starts up. After school on M, W, and F there is an open weight lifting class with the football coach. At the beginning he has you do some high intensity supersets (if I understand the meaning of the word); so far it has been 3 circuits of flat bench-incline bench-lat pull down-shoulder press machine.

Afterwards you have some more flexibility about what you do. Right before school ends on those days (M W F) I have a PE period where I can do whatever I want, including ditching which has been a big problem. This is where I want do some track stuff and do some body weight exercises.

On Tuesdays and Thursdays I’m pretty confidant I can get after school access to the pool, though I would be on my own so I wouldn’t have the motivation of a coach. I’ll start with swimming a mile a day in till that becomes a warm-up while gradually adding specific training for my events. The biking would be mostly to and from work, maybe a quick ride to the top of lake (a local avenue that ends at the base of the mountains).

To stay on track I have a journal, and I’ll write down both what I plan to do that day (in advance) and what I end up doing. This will include exercise, nutrition, and school work.
If I have trouble keeping a journal, I’ll try posting it here so you guys can rag on me.

Before my break ends I want to have at least a general nutrition plan worked out, and a months worth of training mapped out in my journal. I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions that would guide me in a better direction.

After reading some more, I came to the conclusion that I don’t know enough to design my own regimen as far as lifting goes, so I am going to try this plan: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459321 It looks similar to what I had planned but far more refined. Only I’m still going to incorporate olympic lifting and the cardio.

My curiosity has been piqued about periodization. How would I apply it to this routine? As I understand it, I would cycle through weeks of varying effort (basically varying the volume and intensity). This helps build muscle by stimulating different kinds of growth right?

edit: tried to fix link, it’s the Westside for Skinny Bastards (though I’m not a skinny bastard by any stretch)

[quote]DanielB wrote:
After reading some more, I came to the conclusion that I don’t know enough to design my own regimen as far as lifting goes, so I am going to try this plan: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459321. It looks similar to what I had planned but far more refined. Only I’m still going to incorporate olympic lifting and the cardio.

My curiosity has been piqued about periodization. How would I apply it to this routine? As I understand it, I would cycle through weeks of varying effort (basically varying the volume and intensity). This helps build muscle by stimulating different kinds of growth right?[/quote]

Bad link bro but being a beginner I think its a great idea to get some structure time with a program under your belt. complete it in FULL, move to the next and note how you personally respond in a few years you’ll have a great idea of what works for you and what doesnt

above all do something put somtething to action,

Phill

Two week summery

At first I got off to a slow start, having to skip lifting to go to the library to research a school essay. I didn’t lift in till Wednesday, the 10th. Coach Tip (the football coach who runs the after school lifting, and who is strong as hell) directs us completely, so I’m not going to be designing my own program; which I’m fine with. He had us on a circuit consisting of:
lat pull down - vertical press machine - bench press - power clean - incline bench - repeat 4 times

it was pretty intense, where the only rest was waiting for the group ahead to finish or while spotting. Reps were not strict on each press, with the spotting helping as needed to complete the set. I needed little help on the benches and quite a bit on the vertical press.

After the workout I was sore, but I was mostly recovered by the next day. On Thursday I got back into the pool for the first time in over a year and I realized just how out of shape I am. I got in aiming to swim a mile straight (32 laps) and ended up swimming about 8 laps straight and maybe another eight singles and I was exhausted afterwards.

There is no after school lifting on Fridays, but I did manage to get in mid day. This was just me and my partner and we just tried setting some PRs for the record.
Bench 205
military press 115
front squat 195
However I felt that on that day only the bench press was actually a max. I tired my self out trying to put together a good set up for doing a vertical press sitting down and ended up just standing out of frustration.

With the front squat the pressure on my shoulders stopped me from putting more weight on. Furthermore I know that I’m already somewhat stronger now; I’ll max out again this week and have some better numbers.

Monday the 15th there was no school so I just did a variety of dumbbell exercises at home.
Wednesday the 17th I lifted after school again with Tip, and we did lower body; it was an experience. First he had us do strict back squats, which I had never done, then a circuit of
barbell lunges - squat machine - lying leg curls - leg extension - repeat 4 times.
After this workout I was utterly exhausted and only today have I been able to move normally, clearly I need to work on my legs more.

I also need to improve my flexibility in the squat, once I got tired I started leaning forward to get further down and ended up getting a lot of pain in my lower back. From what I have read here overhead squats will give the most benefit.

I have a technique problem too, but I don’t know what it is or how to fix it. I only know that when doing power cleans my right wrist starts to hurt. Any tips on how to avoid this would be greatly appreciated. I’m betting my basic technique is badly in need of improvement, but maybe I just need to strengthen my wrist…