T Nation

Greens Supplement

Im trying to decide on a quality greens supplement and have narrowed it down to CL Orange Oximega greens or AOR greens n berries. I would go with Controlled labs but they have 900mg of soy letchitin in it and im not sure if the soy lecthin lowers testosterone like soy protien does? As for the AOR greens it doesnt have as much of a variety of greens like the Controlled labs but it has a way higher amount of nitrate(helps boost nitrix oxide) vegetables in it as well as a guarentee that it Contains no wheat, gluten, corn, nuts, dairy, soy, eggs, fish, or shellfish

any suggestions or input on the soy letchin question?

For the love of God, just buy some frozen broccoli.

how bout Superfood.

glad these were some helpful comments........... an to bwbski i looked at Superfood and it doesnt have the variety/ amount as the other two

$55+ for AOR? That's pretty expensive. Better have great quality then.

how hard is it really to ad a handfull of spinach leaves and some brocilli to each meal?

Not to be a smartass, but I agree with one of the previous statements. Figure out a schedule where you can eat a different vegetable every meal. If you still don't feel like you're getting enough, go for one of the supplements listed. I'm no expert between the two. Eating whole vegetables is far superior to greens supplements.

I just downed my breakfast:
5 Egg Omlet with tomatoes, spinach, and cheese
Bowl of Oatmeal with blueberries and a scoop of Natural Grow

I suggest you do the same.

Berry Green by New Chapter is far and away the best I've ever used. I use Superfood as well, and would rank that as a very close second.

Pretty hard for people that don't have hands.

Soy lecthin just helps shit mix, it's in lots of stuff, it's not a big deal and neither is soy protein in small doses.

If you wanna do a greens supplement then do one, nobody's stopping ya.

why do you feel berry green is better then Superfood west? Superfood has many more fruits in it, which i feel makes it a better product.

In all seriousness, can someone let me know why people need these greens supplements? I mean, I guess I could understand if someone wanted to go NO carb for a contest prep or something....but otherwise?

OP, if you just don't like the taste of broccoli/spinach/ANY OTHER VEGETABLE, you need to man the f*** up and start eating like an adult.

My suggestion would be to stop wasting time and effort on figuring out which one is "best" and just buy a damn one. Putting this time towards your macros and training will bring MUCH more value than figuring out if you should be taking in .8 grams of soy...

I'm not going to go on about why I rank Berry Green a tiny but higher than Superfood, especially on Biotest's forums. There both extremely high quality and if your looking to add a greens supplement, either is a fine choice.

To answer everyone else, the reason why people take greens supplement is just the same as why people take any other supplement. Do you take a protein supplement? You could just eat 5 steaks per day instead of spending money on protein powders. So why do you do it? Because it's convenient and it helps you make sure your getting your daily allotment.

Yea man some times i dont have time to make f***ing every vegetable that is included in the supplement im sorry ...... and since it would be impossible to get the ammount/variety of vegetables and minerals that are included in the supplement ... i will go ahead and take a greens supplement

Well, I eat veggies and I like them, but when it's in the budget I feel like a decent greens supplement helps round things out. Some evidence points to declining nutrient levels in and rising pesticide content commercial produce, so it's possible that even if you "man the fuck up" an eat your veggies, you may not be getting as much as you could out of it. Maybe this isn't really the case, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were true.

Also, most of these blends include a few more obscure plants which contain nutrients that may not be present at all in the standard varieties of veg that we tend to consume. I really don't think it's a big deal either way, and it definitely isn't a replacement for food, but for $35-50/mo it adds some highly nutrient dense and varied content to your diet while adding virtually no calories or food volume. If you could get the equivalent of 14 servings of fruits and veggies well only consuming the volume of 7 servings it would be easier to keep the calories up, no? If you can afford it, meh... why wouldn't you?

But i feel Superfood has a better mix then berry green. so what makes you think its better west?

The point is that you are much better off eating whole vegetables. Is it more convenient to take green supplements? Yes, but then again fast food is too. Why don't you eat at McDonalds' every night? Because you've decided to do what is less convenient for the betterment of your body, health, strength, or whatever you goals are.

Comparing protein powder to green supplements only proves my point. The reason you take a whey protein is because absorbs into the bloodstream faster than if I had a steak after workouts. It is superior (in that case) than whole food.

So far today (it's noon), I've eaten spinach, tomatoes, blueberries, pumpkin, and asparagus. Later today I will have some type of fruit with my afternoon snack and probably a spinach salad with carrot slices with my dinner. I am much better off doing that than taking a pill.

I don't take whey protein because isn't superior to whole food. Throws a little wrench into your argument. I also consume large amounts of vegetables, but see no need to rattle it off here as you did.

Additionally, a greens or Superfood supplement can provide a much wider array of foods than what you can buy at the store.

Either way, if you don't care to take a supplement, than don't. There are definitely benefits though for those that are interested.