T Nation

Greens+ Post-Workout?

Whenever Greens+ is around, I make an effort to include 1/2 to 1 tbsp in my post workout shake. Just one of those things I have never questioned…before now. Any thoughts?

I don’t think it would be detremental…in fact, it would alkalize the protein. Go for it if you can afford it.

The added fiber may not be the best in a PWO shake. Best to save that for other times of the day.

Great idea actually - for the above reason stated.

I know Berardi is a fan of mixing greens plus with protein shakes.

troop

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
The added fiber may not be the best in a PWO shake. Best to save that for other times of the day.[/quote]

There’s hardly any. And he’s using 1/3 of the serving.

[quote]Brendan Ryan wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
The added fiber may not be the best in a PWO shake. Best to save that for other times of the day.

There’s hardly any. And he’s using 1/3 of the serving.
[/quote]

You do realize he said he was putting it in his post-workout shake? A time when you do not want to slow down the digestion at all of anything. I agree having it in any other shake of the day is fine. Just not in the PWO. It has been covered on here all over the place not to intake fiber directly PWO.

And what do you mean “hardly any”? That’s all greens plus is, for the most part. It doesn’t take but a couple grams to slow down the digestion.

i have not noticed a change in the absorption of Surge with greens+. still get the crash after if i don’t eat some other carbs.

for the record, fiber is 1.1g per full serving.

i make 2 mixes, 1 for preworkout and during and one for post workout, i only put the greens+ and creatine in the post workout Surge. i use half a serving for the record.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
i have not noticed a change in the absorption of Surge with greens+. still get the crash after if i don’t eat some other carbs.[/quote]

I’ve noticed I get the crash too if I only have half a serving PWO like you mentioned below. I switched to no Surge Pre or During and all of it Post and it’s all better now.

Also- you probably wouldn’t notice any change in absorption, as you can’t tell that anyway. It’s not a feeling you would get. It’s all about optimal anyway. Hell you don’t “need” a PWO shake in the first place.

No shit? It’s been a while since I’ve used the powdered Greens+ but I could have sworn it was more than that.

I’ll amend my statements above. It has been discussed ad nauseam on this board not to screw with Surge by adding anything but Creatine. If PWO is the only shake you have in the day, then by all means toss in your Greens+, but if you have other opportunities in the day to take it I would do it then and not PWO.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
If PWO is the only shake you have in the day, then by all means toss in your Greens+, but if you have other opportunities in the day to take it I would do it then and not PWO.[/quote]

i agree, the little bit of greens added should be the last place to put it, adding to meal replacing protein shakes would be top priority or to meals lacking fruit and veggie content.

I read a very in depth holistic health book (yeh yeh I’m hearing all the sneers,laughs and sissy jokes)…the major content of the book was about alkalinity. One bit of the book suggested that ‘alkalinity increases protein synthesis’. Now if this is true then adding greens+ may in theory incease the anabolic effects of Surge/post workout beverages.

I’m actually awaiting a protein shake or post workout drink to be specifically designed to aid protein synthesis via alkalinity…it’s gonna happen sooner or later.

Interesting.
I’m not really concerned, although I have no idea how detrimental it is, with the addition of 1/2 to 1g of fiber in my post work out shake. I’m no expert in nutrient timing, which was really what I was getting after.

With the phytochemicals, antioxidants, ORAC capabilities, and so forth, in something like greens+ it seems logical that it might actually aide recovery. Obviously it can be included in any shake at any other time of the day, for reasons no one would contest.

BUT post workout is a sensitive time period… My rational was that this is a time when were under major oxidative stress, and combating this may lessen inflammation, and improve protein synthesis at a time when our muscles are very hungry.

Trouble is, what seems logical it not always the case! It may be that the above logic is more or less on track, but perhaps an even more optimal ‘time’ would be a 2 or 3 hours after training. Maybe I’ll alternate. Maybe JB or someone would comment…

A simple trick to foster muscle growth
By Charles Poliquin

Do you want more muscle? Who doesn?t? It has been shown that alkalizing drinks help foster muscle growth, particularly when taken right after training.

The exact mechanism has yet to be clearly defined, but I have recently discovered three options since my trip to Boulderfest. One proposal is that alkaline drinks turn on the protein synthesis genes. Another is that hypertrophy training leads to slight acidosis which is counterbalanced by green drinks. Finally, it seems that cortisol is acidifying and that green drinks off-set that condition. I have clients who are immediately reporting faster recovery from workloads.

A Great Formula

PaleoGreens? is special not only because of its extraordinary formula, but also because we meticulously cultivate and protect all the precious constituents contained in it. We work closely with our certified organic growers to ensure the optimal development of enzymes and beneficial phytonutrients in PaleoGreens? ingredients.

These ingredients are harvested at their peak of potency and are immediately concentrated and dried by utilizing proprietary cool-temperature processes that preserve their energetic and nutritional integrity. Studies have shown that these unique technologies offer unprecedented protection of the enzymes and other valuable phytonutrient constituents.

[quote]Brendan Ryan wrote:
A simple trick to foster muscle growth
By Charles Poliquin

Do you want more muscle? Who doesn?t? It has been shown that alkalizing drinks help foster muscle growth, particularly when taken right after training.

The exact mechanism has yet to be clearly defined, but I have recently discovered three options since my trip to Boulderfest. One proposal is that alkaline drinks turn on the protein synthesis genes. Another is that hypertrophy training leads to slight acidosis which is counterbalanced by green drinks. Finally, it seems that cortisol is acidifying and that green drinks off-set that condition. I have clients who are immediately reporting faster recovery from workloads.

A Great Formula

PaleoGreens? is special not only because of its extraordinary formula, but also because we meticulously cultivate and protect all the precious constituents contained in it. We work closely with our certified organic growers to ensure the optimal development of enzymes and beneficial phytonutrients in PaleoGreens? ingredients.

These ingredients are harvested at their peak of potency and are immediately concentrated and dried by utilizing proprietary cool-temperature processes that preserve their energetic and nutritional integrity. Studies have shown that these unique technologies offer unprecedented protection of the enzymes and other valuable phytonutrient constituents.[/quote]

I always stop reading these tips once I come across:

Not sure why. I guess I lose interest when someone, even Poliquin, is trying to convince me something works but [i]they[/i] don’t even know why.

Question: Just how essential is a Greens supplement to the average lifter ? I know it gives many servings of fruit/veggies, but would you call it essential like a multivitamin and fish oil ?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Brendan Ryan wrote:
A simple trick to foster muscle growth
By Charles Poliquin

Do you want more muscle? Who doesn?t? It has been shown that alkalizing drinks help foster muscle growth, particularly when taken right after training.

The exact mechanism has yet to be clearly defined, but I have recently discovered three options since my trip to Boulderfest. One proposal is that alkaline drinks turn on the protein synthesis genes. Another is that hypertrophy training leads to slight acidosis which is counterbalanced by green drinks. Finally, it seems that cortisol is acidifying and that green drinks off-set that condition. I have clients who are immediately reporting faster recovery from workloads.

A Great Formula

PaleoGreens? is special not only because of its extraordinary formula, but also because we meticulously cultivate and protect all the precious constituents contained in it. We work closely with our certified organic growers to ensure the optimal development of enzymes and beneficial phytonutrients in PaleoGreens? ingredients.

These ingredients are harvested at their peak of potency and are immediately concentrated and dried by utilizing proprietary cool-temperature processes that preserve their energetic and nutritional integrity. Studies have shown that these unique technologies offer unprecedented protection of the enzymes and other valuable phytonutrient constituents.

I always stop reading these tips once I come across:

The exact mechanism has yet to be clearly defined

Not sure why. I guess I lose interest when someone, even Poliquin, is trying to convince me something works but [i]they[/i] don’t even know why.[/quote]

Then do what you want. But stop pushing dogma on other people that want to experiment.

Squirrel…It’s not essential unless you need it to get the veggies in.

[quote]Brendan Ryan wrote:
Then do what you want. But stop pushing dogma on other people that want to experiment.

Squirrel…It’s not essential unless you need it to get the veggies in.[/quote]

Do what I want??? What have I said in this thread that I wanted to do and what exactly have I said that is Dogma? I think you need to get your head out of your ass and stop telling people how to post.