T Nation

Green Vegetables In Shakes

[quote]schultzie wrote:
you even blend meat?[/quote]

Meat, eggs, fish, veggies, everything. 3 of my 6 meals are beef, salmon, eggs, veggies (spinach or kale, broccoli, squash, celery, string beans, etc) walnuts, flax meal, jalapenos, evoo, vitamins, minerals, water and a touch of oats all together in the food processor. Goes in canning jars the night before. Convenience and digestibility. To me it doesn’t taste good or bad, it’s just food.

[quote]Digity wrote:
I think what’s even more hardcore is a tuna smoothie…barf[/quote]

People confuse hardcore with fucking retarded all the time.

I put “Best of Greens” powder in my shakes. No problemo.

I do spinach with lemon juice and flax.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
icecold wrote:
I had to go make one right now and took a picture. This smoothie had about everything except the kitchen sink in it, and tasted like a blueberry milkshake. The color was purple with small green flecks.

What brand/model of blender do you use?? I will definitely try using the frozen spinach…I will start experimenting with other combinations…this all came about because I got hooked on drinking those damn Naked Green Machine smoothies…but I need proteins and less sugars…and they’re not cheap either.[/quote]

I was frustrated after going through several cheap blenders. They often broke when I had friends over and someone wanted a frozen drink with a full pitcher of premium brand liquor. Not that I drink a lot, because I dont. If you make a lot of smoothies or especially if you use a lot of ice you will go through these quickly. Some people swear by the cheap blenders, including Berardi I believe. If you go this route buy 2 at a time. For me it was very taxing on the blender as I like my smoothies like silk.

I thought I had it figured out. I bought something that was supposedly as strong as the blenders you spend a small fortune on. It was powerful in theory but fragile. Had the older version of this it sucked. Broke under warranty was replaced and broke again soon after warranty expired. It smoked when I taxed it too.

http://www.epinions.com/Juiceman_JMS_6_Blender_with_Variable_Infinite_Speeds_Small_Appliances

TC likes the Vitamax 5200 which is cheaper than the industrial ones used by Starbucks but pretty damn expensive for the average Joe.

So this has been the one that I really like. I was about to give up on making silk like smoothies with frozen fruit and the occasional perfect frozen margarita at home before I bought it. These are usually the brand of small blenders you see in the bars that they use for the frozen drinks.

It looked too simple, was loud, and the power output was less than half of the last blender that let me down, but this thing kicks ass. It is not cheap but is a good value for me. The motor has a 5 year warranty and I have owned it about half that long and use it almost daily. The blade assembly did break once after the warranty had expired for it. I can not blame the blender as this is just the affect of friction and force over time. This was an easy fix, but cost about the same as a cheap blender. One thing is that the blended carafe is much smaller at 32 ounces than all others I have owned but my smoothies usually go right up to the max fill line so it works out. I sometimes just use it instead of my food processor also.

No matter what blender you buy it is always best but to put the frozen items on top, and if using big chunks of frozen ice to palce them at the top or even to add them slowly whie it is blending.

[quote]bmitch wrote:
ktennies wrote:
spinach
mixed berries
1/2 banana
natural pb (or almond butter even better)
protein powder
whole milk

this is my breakfast shake… i modify it without the banana and use water instead of milk for less sat fat and carbs when i need less calories.

what flavor of protein powder? and how do you think it would taste without the mixed berries but using a whole banana[/quote]

i use vanilla flavored protein, but i’m sure it would taste good with any flavor.

and i like the berry/banana mixture better, because i like the flavor the berries add. they also add to the health benefits of the shake.

[quote]ktennies wrote:
bmitch wrote:
ktennies wrote:
spinach
mixed berries
1/2 banana
natural pb (or almond butter even better)
protein powder
whole milk

this is my breakfast shake… i modify it without the banana and use water instead of milk for less sat fat and carbs when i need less calories.

what flavor of protein powder? and how do you think it would taste without the mixed berries but using a whole banana

i use vanilla flavored protein, but i’m sure it would taste good with any flavor.

and i like the berry/banana mixture better, because i like the flavor the berries add. they also add to the health benefits of the shake.[/quote]

how much milk and what amount of mixed berries? im gonna give this a try one of these days

What do you guys mean when you say you use oatmeal for shakes?

Are we taking he plain rolled oats (big flakes) you buy in tubes? Those wouldn’t blend well I thought and just end up as big specks in an otherwise creamy shake…

[quote]bmitch wrote:
ktennies wrote:
bmitch wrote:
ktennies wrote:
spinach
mixed berries
1/2 banana
natural pb (or almond butter even better)
protein powder
whole milk

this is my breakfast shake… i modify it without the banana and use water instead of milk for less sat fat and carbs when i need less calories.

what flavor of protein powder? and how do you think it would taste without the mixed berries but using a whole banana

i use vanilla flavored protein, but i’m sure it would taste good with any flavor.

and i like the berry/banana mixture better, because i like the flavor the berries add. they also add to the health benefits of the shake.

how much milk and what amount of mixed berries? im gonna give this a try one of these days[/quote]

i use approx 1/2 to 3/4 cup mixed berries, 2 or 3 heaping spoonful pb, a handful spinach, 1/2 banana, 1 scoop vanilla casein protein (= 24 grams protein), half scoop whey (= 10 grams protein). i then mix in enough milk to blend it but not so much that it is runny (so it has a milkshake-like consistency).

[quote]ktennies wrote:
bmitch wrote:
ktennies wrote:
bmitch wrote:
ktennies wrote:
spinach
mixed berries
1/2 banana
natural pb (or almond butter even better)
protein powder
whole milk

this is my breakfast shake… i modify it without the banana and use water instead of milk for less sat fat and carbs when i need less calories.

what flavor of protein powder? and how do you think it would taste without the mixed berries but using a whole banana

i use vanilla flavored protein, but i’m sure it would taste good with any flavor.

and i like the berry/banana mixture better, because i like the flavor the berries add. they also add to the health benefits of the shake.

how much milk and what amount of mixed berries? im gonna give this a try one of these days

i use approx 1/2 to 3/4 cup mixed berries, 2 or 3 heaping spoonful pb, a handful spinach, 1/2 banana, 1 scoop vanilla casein protein (= 24 grams protein), half scoop whey (= 10 grams protein). i then mix in enough milk to blend it but not so much that it is runny (so it has a milkshake-like consistency).[/quote]

I gonna have to try your recipe…sounds like a perfect meal replacement for breakfast. Sometimes I can’t stand eating in the morning…especially on the days I do MMA conditioning.