Green Vegetables In Shakes

I was just wondering,does anyone put raw foods such as spinach,broccoli in their protein shakes?? I was making a shake today…I opened the refrigerator…saw bag of baby spinach…and said hey why not.

So I added it to my chocolate,banana,flaxseed shake…and watched the contents of my blender “get angry…like Hulk” and turn geen. Suprisingly,I actually liked it…it still tasted chocolate banana. I think I will do this on occasion. Any thoughts?

I’ve mixed broccoli in a chocolate shake before and I thought it tasted pretty good.

Chad Waterbury also suggested this idea in his Super Protein Shake:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1470813

[quote]tmoney1 wrote:
I’ve mixed broccoli in a chocolate shake before and I thought it tasted pretty good.

Chad Waterbury also suggested this idea in his Super Protein Shake:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1470813 [/quote]

Cool…yeah,I was trying to search before I posted and didn’t really find anything. Could be the Venom HD in me…that shit is strong.

Even though all I have is chocolate protein poweder…I’ll try adding an apple and see how that tastes.

I’ve tried broccoli in one and it had a nasty aftertaste.

I throw in blueberries, peaches, strawberries, spinach, and broccoli in the blender(all frozen). With plenty of water it all blends smoothly and the taste is sweet, can’t even tell there are green veggies.

I tried adding strawberry whey with it once but then it foams way too much.

Broccoli foams for me. Spinach works great. I use frozen spinach instead of ice cubes.

Val Waugaman (IFBB figure pro) has a shake that her friend dubbed the “green goddess” that includes lime, spinach, and other green stuff. I’d link but it’s in a video on that “other” site (that sells MD6).

ive tried the shake that CW suggests and thought it was fricken amazing… it just doesnt fit into the AD very well.

I put carrots in my morning shake almost everyday, along with berries and sometimes a banana. I’ll give the spinach thing a shot.

DUDE!!! PUT KALE IN YOUR SMOOTHIES!!! It’s the greatest!

Kale is the best for green smoothies. I color is gives is wicked.

I put spinach, cauliflower, blueberries, and rasberries in my morning shake. The cauliflower requires a flavored protein powder to mask the flavor. I use orange but I would think strawberry would work well. You could also put in 0.9 banana but I would’t go any higher than that.

bpeck

Just when I thought I was getting “hardcore” about my diet and foods I’m forcing myself to eat, you guys put me in my place… lol

I still haven’t gotten around to trying a broccoli smoothie, but I will eventually.

I think what’s even more hardcore is a tuna smoothie…barf

I use frozen spinach all the time.

Sounds more hardcore than it is, especially if you mix in frozen fruit. If you really want to mask the flavor add a little peanut butter. If you want to mask the green color blueberries help.

I have a strong blender so I can add about anything.

I had to go make one right now and took a picture. This smoothie had about everything except the kitchen sink in it, and tasted like a blueberry milkshake. The color was purple with small green flecks.

[quote]icecold wrote:
I had to go make one right now and took a picture. This smoothie had about everything except the kitchen sink in it, and tasted like a blueberry milkshake. The color was purple with small green flecks. [/quote]

What brand/model of blender do you use?? I will definitely try using the frozen spinach…I will start experimenting with other combinations…this all came about because I got hooked on drinking those damn Naked Green Machine smoothies…but I need proteins and less sugars…and they’re not cheap either.

spinach
mixed berries
1/2 banana
natural pb (or almond butter even better)
protein powder
whole milk

this is my breakfast shake… i modify it without the banana and use water instead of milk for less sat fat and carbs when i need less calories.

Probably 80% of my food is either put through the blender or food processor. The only thing I don’t do it with is starchy carbs on the weekend loads.

you even blend meat?

[quote]schultzie wrote:
you even blend meat?[/quote]

Meat, eggs, fish, veggies, everything. 3 of my 6 meals are beef, salmon, eggs, veggies (spinach or kale, broccoli, squash, celery, string beans, etc) walnuts, flax meal, jalapenos, evoo, vitamins, minerals, water and a touch of oats all together in the food processor. Goes in canning jars the night before. Convenience and digestibility. To me it doesn’t taste good or bad, it’s just food.