Green Tea

Lipton makes it. Bigelow makes it. Celestial Seasonings makes it. Millions of people are drinking green tea every day. Health advocates recommend 3-6 cups a day for its antioxidant benefits. But is it really good for you?

In nutritionist Michael Barbee’s new book, “Politically Incorrect Nutrition: Finding Reality in the Mire of Food Industry Propaganda,” (Vital Health Publishing), Barbee exposes many such current and widely held politically correct nutritional beliefs. In the case of your morning cup of green tea, did you know that it is often contaminated with unprecedented amounts of fluoride, aluminum and DDT, and regular consumption can lead to serious health problems?

Preventative medicine expert Dr. Stephen Langer suggests that as much as 40% of the U.S. population may have sub-clinical hypothyroidism, of which symptoms include carpal tunnel syndrome, loss of libido, arthritis, lupus, fibromyalgia and weight gain. The fluoride that pervades our food and water supply must surely be considered a culprit, with tea drinkers at higher risk. To make matters worse, some samples of green tea recently analyzed were contaminated with cancer causing DDT and Dursban, which are not banned in the tea growing countries China and India.

Politically Incorrect Nutrition exposes many current and widely held beliefs foisted on both consumers and health care practitioners by the well-oiled, agenda driven food industry propaganda. And it’s not all bad news, for instance, he writes dark chocolate (organic) has four times the amount of antioxidants as green tea per serving!

SOURCE: Vital Health Publishing
Web Site: http://www.vitalhealthbooks.com

Maybe you’re right…

but still : in the region of Osaka in Japan, cancer case are very rare. It is in fact in this region that green tea is most consummed. One Local sicentist (Richard Belliveau) began some time ago searching for the link between cancer and green tea. He discovered that some polyphenol contained in a specific tea essence (sencha and gyokuro) contained as much as 900mg of it in a cup! He tested green tea with chemo and had astonnishing results of various degrees.

REAL green tea is not overrated. You gotta drink the real thing, not the lipton crap.

It all comes down to…everything in moderation

I like the Hei-Mae bancha.It is so strong it will make your eyeballs twitch and break a sweat. Then I throw the used tea into my garden for compost. My flowers are a very bright and deep color, and have incredibly strong teeth.
Seriously though, links to cancer can be found in everything we ingest. Most of a persons disposition towards developing cancer are genetic and immune system related. We develope cancerous cells all the time, but our bodies, when functioning properly, dispense of the cells before they can take hold and develope into a benign or malignant growth.
I also like the Maitake mushrooms.They are becoming realy popular these days as an imuno-modulator.They grow localy and I usualy get about a hundred pounds of them out of the woods near my house. I can’t find any scientific studies on them, but they are being sold on some websites for a buttload of money. I like them in a stir fry with chicken or beef.

[quote]MartyBoy wrote:
Maybe you’re right…

but still : in the region of Osaka in Japan, cancer case are very rare. It is in fact in this region that green tea is most consummed. One Local sicentist (Richard Belliveau) began some time ago searching for the link between cancer and green tea. He discovered that some polyphenol contained in a specific tea essence (sencha and gyokuro) contained as much as 900mg of it in a cup! He tested green tea with chemo and had astonnishing results of various degrees.

REAL green tea is not overrated. You gotta drink the real thing, not the lipton crap. [/quote]

Yes…and in a remote region of Russia the folks there all live to be 100 because the eat Yogurt. No wait that was another hyped up promotion from another time period…

Kelly Baggett used to say stuff like this – he advocated using green-tea extract instead of drinking the tea.

I’ve read elsewhere that the contamination that can be problematic is a result of the farming practices in the countries of origin for a lot of tea: China and India. Supposedly if you buy organic tea the contamination problem is greatly lessened.

Also, one more thing: I’ve been reading lately that White Tea is even more beneficial than Green Tea – has anyone else been seeing that?