Green Tea / White Tea

Anyone try WHITE tea?? I know all about the super goodness of green tea and have been drinking loose leaf green for a while now. But what is up with White tea?? Is this shit for real? Is it worth switching to??

I’ve tried white tea. It is good stuff. Since it is a younger version of green tea (picked at an earlier stage in the growing cycle) it is good. From what I have read, since it is picked earlier, it contains more of the good stuff (more concentrated as well as hasn’t aged).

I still drink my green tea but have added white tea into my cabinet as well.

you can read this or you can just google but white/green/black tea are virtually from the same plant. neither green nor white are fermented(as is black tea). green tea is picked just when the leaves open. white tea is picked just before they open. the white is the little white hairs still on the leaf bud. it kind of looks like good bud actually. obviously the best green and white teas are available in spring.

white tea tastes better IMO

Go here:

Read, order, enjoy. In my experience, theirs is the best tea I’ve had. They have all sorts – green, herbal, black, white, etc., and will sell in small amounts so that you can try lots to see what you like. They even put advice on the package regarding how best to prepare your tea to maximize its flavor.

I’ve spent a fair amount of time in China, and I’ve found their blends to most closely approximate the ones I most enjoyed while there.

[quote]sdspeedracer wrote:
Go here:

Read, order, enjoy. In my experience, theirs is the best tea I’ve had. They have all sorts – green, herbal, black, white, etc., and will sell in small amounts so that you can try lots to see what you like. They even put advice on the package regarding how best to prepare your tea to maximize its flavor.

I’ve spent a fair amount of time in China, and I’ve found their blends to most closely approximate the ones I most enjoyed while there.[/quote]

COOL!

Thanks for all the info everyone.

important to note you steep these teas in lower temp water for alot less time. green tea tastes nasty if the water is too hot or you steep it too long or both. i steep it 30 sec - minute. i’ve never had white tea but i don’t think it would be any different .

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
swivel wrote:
important to note you steep these teas in lower temp water for alot less time. green tea tastes nasty if the water is too hot or you steep it too long or both. i steep it 30 sec - minute. i’ve never had white tea but i don’t think it would be any different .

Personally, I like to steep mine for a looong time. In fact, I don’t actually remove the bag from the cup, just let it sit in the bottom. Tastes pretty bitter by the time you get to the end, but hey, at least I know I’m getting maximum ‘goodness’ out of it, lol.[/quote]

Don’t forget to suck the bag dry before you throw it away. Yeah, I’m serious. You’re a puss if you can’t stand the taste, but putting in a little ginger improves things.

I don’t suck my bag man! I swallow it whole! That’s where all the vitamins are.

Seriously though, green tea can steep all day. In china, the standard method is to put a small handful of leaves in a glass and add hot water several times until there’s nothing left to steep out of it.

Thanks for the rishi link sdspeedracer.

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
Seriously though, green tea can steep all day. In china, the standard method is to put a small handful of leaves in a glass and add hot water several times until there’s nothing left to steep out of it.
[/quote]
Wow. I feel a lot less like a cheap prick. I drop one white tea bag into a stainless steel insulated mug, fill it with hot water, drink half, refill it, drink half, etc. all day long.

[quote]Tulkastaldo wrote:

Don’t forget to suck the bag dry before you throw it away. Yeah, I’m serious. You’re a puss if you can’t stand the taste, but putting in a little ginger improves things.[/quote]

This must be where the origin of the word “tea-bagging” comes from. :slight_smile:

[quote]Kruiser wrote:
I don’t suck my bag man! I swallow it whole! That’s where all the vitamins are.

Thanks for the rishi link sdspeedracer.[/quote]

well yeah it’s stupid to throw it out after a single steep. the second cup is always the best one anyways.

and chinese green tea is different than japanese green tea, which is a fresher and superior product. jap tea is steam dried, china tea is fired dry. china tea is oxidised and the stuff you buy packaged in tea bags is probably a few years old as is evidenced by its brown color. this is no different than eating old brown broccoli or something.

good jap tea is more expensive per gram but it’s waaay more potent and you will get more more cups out of a teaspoon of jap tea than you will china. at the end of the day you pay less and have better tea. high quality jap bud is so potent i doubt anyone could drink that shit down if you steeped one cup all day…

but why would you do that anyway when you could be getting 6 or 7 cups out a single teaspoon. it’s the same thing as far as getting the most out it is concerned.

these guys have good tea.
http://gray-seddon-tea.com/sencha.shtml

Hi! I’m Krista from Rishi, and I would like to thank T-Nation for posting the link to our site.

I answer tons of questions on tea every day, so I would like to answer any questions you might have about tea!

I work out quite a bit. I find it really helps before a workout to drink a few cups of tea, preferably green, or oolong tea.

Why green tea you ask? Well thats pretty simple…

Green tea is known to increase alpha brainwaves, which allow you to have a relaxed state of intense focus…the caffeine content gives you a natural energy boost, unlike chemical caffeine supplements.

I urge you to give tea a try (not just because I sell it), if you haven’t already. I have found that it is a natural alternative to supplements, especially if you are sensitive to caffeine.