T Nation

Green Tea vs Green Tea Extract

Hi,

I am a 39y old male in the process of losing weight (1y result so far 260->195lbs, target is approx 170lbs before starting to work on adding muscle), but am also interested just in overall improved health.

I am taking a couple of supplements, including Hot-Roxx, multivitamin and superfood and some others. However, I seldom make tea, so I wanted to check if I am missing something essential that would be in the tea but not in the capsule.

So onto my 2 questions.

Is there a difference in consuming (i guess lots of) green tea vs taking a green tea capsule?

The capsules I take are 700mg and contain 50% EGCG. Recommended dose is 1/day, I usually go for 2/day as I have not really heard any adverse effects of green tea. How do you see this dosage?

Thanks in advance,

C

I had a question about Green Tea too.

Is consuming the Diet Turkey Hill Green Tea as good as making a cup of green tea? I drink that a lot.

The Diet White Tea Peach is awesome too. Goes great for my during-workout shake w/ 15g BCAA. =)

When consuming green tea extract instead of drinking green tea naturally, there is worry about liver toxicty levels. I don’t know the specifics, but I just drink the tea and not worry about it.

When consuming green tea extract instead of drinking green tea naturally, there is worry about liver toxicty levels. I don’t know the specifics, but I just drink the tea and not worry about it.

[quote]nycsoccax wrote:
I had a question about Green Tea too.

Is consuming the Diet Turkey Hill Green Tea as good as making a cup of green tea? I drink that a lot.

The Diet White Tea Peach is awesome too. Goes great for my during-workout shake w/ 15g BCAA. =)[/quote]

I asked a similair question a while back. At least I think. If Diet Turkey Hill Green Tea is comparable to diet Arizon Green Tea then apparently it is NOT as good as brewing your own.

Now that its summer its really easy. I take a few gallon container fill it with water and the right amount of tea bags (trial and error) and leave it out in the sun for a few hours, or all day.

[quote]HJLau75 wrote:
When consuming green tea extract instead of drinking green tea naturally, there is worry about liver toxicty levels. I don’t know the specifics, but I just drink the tea and not worry about it.[/quote]

Hmm, I have read that it is atleast hypothesized that EGCG works as an antioxidant in the liver and protects it from oxidative damage caused by fatigue.

Where did you find information about the toxicity?

[quote]curax wrote:
HJLau75 wrote:
When consuming green tea extract instead of drinking green tea naturally, there is worry about liver toxicty levels. I don’t know the specifics, but I just drink the tea and not worry about it.

Hmm, I have read that it is atleast hypothesized that EGCG works as an antioxidant in the liver and protects it from oxidative damage caused by fatigue.

Where did you find information about the toxicity?[/quote]

It’s called ‘too much of a good thing’. The amount of EGCG in one of those caps represents about a gallon of strong ass white tea. Now, while it wouldn’t b bad to drink a gallon of tea spread out over the course of a 24 hour period, taking that much at one time is a stressor on the system.

To answer your question about the studies, I know of a couple of Chinese studies within the past year that came to the conclusion that you could overdo EGCG intake when it’s in concentrated capsule form, and that it could b detrimental to liver function. I’ll see if i can try to dig those studies up.

DJ

[quote]djreef wrote:
curax wrote:
HJLau75 wrote:
When consuming green tea extract instead of drinking green tea naturally, there is worry about liver toxicty levels. I don’t know the specifics, but I just drink the tea and not worry about it.

Hmm, I have read that it is atleast hypothesized that EGCG works as an antioxidant in the liver and protects it from oxidative damage caused by fatigue.

Where did you find information about the toxicity?

It’s called ‘too much of a good thing’. The amount of EGCG in one of those caps represents about a gallon of strong ass white tea. Now, while it wouldn’t b bad to drink a gallon of tea spread out over the course of a 24 hour period, taking that much at one time is a stressor on the system.

To answer your question about the studies, I know of a couple of Chinese studies within the past year that came to the conclusion that you could overdo EGCG intake when it’s in concentrated capsule form, and that it could b detrimental to liver function. I’ll see if i can try to dig those studies up.

DJ[/quote]

Thanks, after some searches with better keywords I already found some studies about this, and they do support what you say, however, there were also some study that indicated that 800mg of EGCG would be safe for 4 weeks. The toxicity seems to come from high concentration of EGCG taken in one shot.

Based on this (if continuing with extracts) it seem the best bet is to find a much less concentrated extract and take it 2-4 times a day.