T Nation

Green Tea Question

i usually try to drink some green tea after my breakfast for some anti-oxidants. included in my breakfast is a berry/protein smoothie.

so the question is, does anybody know if it would be a big deal to just rip open the tea bag and blend the tea leaves in with my smoothie instead of using hot water?

i am just curious if my body would be less able to absorb the nutrients that way…

here’s what I do: I make green tea, I drink it, then I eat the leftover leaves (these are actually leaves, not bagged). I feel like I get the full effect then. You could try something like that, make the tea then dump the leftovers into the smoothie. hope that helps

[quote]theceka wrote:
here’s what I do: I make green tea, I drink it, then I eat the leftover leaves (these are actually leaves, not bagged). I feel like I get the full effect then. You could try something like that, make the tea then dump the leftovers into the smoothie. hope that helps[/quote]

Same here.

You are fine consuming the leaves, however that does include all of the tannins in them which may make your stomoch upset. However because you are including it with a meal you should be fine. I saw someone eating deep fried tea leaves on the food network the other day. And yes your body will.